• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

New Year's Day 2024 in the North East

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Those from foreign climes may not be aware that in the North East on New Year's Day there are no local rail services as both Northern and TY Metro do not operate a service (something which dates back into at least BR times I believe) meaning that its only regional and long distance operators like TPE and LNER that run trains. However! In a break with that long standing tradition it seems that Northern are running the following limited stop services between Middlesbrough and Whitby on 1 January 2024:

2E01 - 0953 Middlesbrough to Whitby 1114
2E02 - 1125 Whitby to Darlington 1310
2E03 - 1422 Darlington to Whitby 1611
2E04 - 1622 Whitby to Middlesbrough 1742

There is an ECS move in the morning to Middlesbrough from Darlington and similar move in the evening from Middlesbrough to Darlington. RTT has the details here for anyone who wishes to know more about the schedules.

An interesting innovation and I'd be fascinated to know who is either paying Northern to do it or how they've been persuaded to do it. If it's a success I wonder if they'll try and find volunteers to run additional services elsewhere in the North East next year...

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

bearhugger

I've just had a look on RTT (RealTime Trains) at the timetable for the 09:53 from Middlesbrough. You weren't kidding about limited stops! If I were to make use of this service and get the afternoon service back, then its a bus to & from town too as there's no stops at James Cook or Marton, but oddly stopping at Gypsy Lane which is what? half a mile down the track if that ( you can stand on the platform at Gypsy Lane and easily see / hear the cars going over the level crossing at Nunthorpe.) I would suggest a stop at Marton rathe than Gypsy Lane is better for us locals.

rg177

Established Member
Associate Staff
International Transport
I've just had a look on RTT (RealTime Trains) at the timetable for the 09:53 from Middlesbrough. You weren't kidding about limited stops! If I were to make use of this service and get the afternoon service back, then its a bus to & from town too as there's no stops at James Cook or Marton, but oddly stopping at Gypsy Lane which is what? half a mile down the track if that ( you can stand on the platform at Gypsy Lane and easily see / hear the cars going over the level crossing at Nunthorpe.) I would suggest a stop at Marton rathe than Gypsy Lane is better for us locals.
There's no public time advertised for Gypsy Lane. It looks like it'll be non-stop to Nunthorpe.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
've just had a look on RTT (RealTime Trains) at the timetable for the 09:53 from Middlesbrough. You weren't kidding about limited stops! If I were to make use of this service and get the afternoon service back, then its a bus to & from town too as there's no stops at James Cook or Marton, but oddly stopping at Gypsy Lane which is what? half a mile down the track if that ( you can stand on the platform at Gypsy Lane and easily see / hear the cars going over the level crossing at Nunthorpe.) I would suggest a stop at Marton rathe than Gypsy Lane is better for us locals.
As @rg177 says it appears to be non-stop to Nunthorpe which did strike me as bit odd. I'd have thought Middlesbrough - Marton - Nunthorpe would have been a logical calling pattern. It's not as if pathing it down the Esk Valley is going to be especially tricky that day.

Veteran Member
Ah got it, me just being a bit thick! Thanks for explaining.
Timed for 0 minutes - no doubt to do with the way the level crossing works. The return trains don't stop (unlike at Castleton Moor and Lealholm).

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
I suspect the limited stops are to allow two return trips within the constraints of one driver diagram and the other TOCs' services that are still running at Middlesbrough and in particular Darlington. The timings make it obvious that this is what these services have been planned around - 2 return trips from Darlington to Whitby with a break in the middle.

The train runs ECS from Darlington to Middlesbrough and v.v. on the first and last round trips due to the somewhat bizarre arrangement whereby Northern has a drivers-only depot at Darlington and a conductors-only depot at Middlesbrough.

Anvil1984

Established Member

It's compulsory to time any train (passenger or non passenger) to stop there due to the stop board at Gypsy Lane and await the white crossing lights. It not required to pick up / drop off passengers. Indeed prior to the 2019 timetable change st least one train didn't going towards Nunthorpe

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Finding myself at a loose end today I managed to get myself down to Middlesbrough in order to catch 2E01 the 0953 to Danby and 2E02 the 1201 (1125 ex-Whitby) back again to Middlesbrough (just time for a quick walk up to the moors between trains). Formed of two units, 156443 and 158853, the ECS (5E01 0924 from Darlington) rolled into the platform 2 a few minutes early at 0941 with a conductor waiting for it at Middlesbrough who quickly boarded to prepare the train for service.

158853 + 156443 stood at MBR.jpg
(Image shows 158853 and 156443 stood at Middlesbrough prior to departure as 2E01 the 0953 Northern service to Whitby)

Once the necessary checks were completed (and having evicted the passengers who boarded too early) the train was boarded and departed (with a different conductor to the one who prepared it for service) a minute down at 0954. I would say from observation there were around forty or so people waiting at Middlesbrough for the service. It was then fast to Nunthorpe, with a minor pause at Gypsy Lane for the crossing, and another, roughly, twenty passengers were picked up. I think from a quick look before I left at Danby there were around 60 people aboard. Upon arrival at Danby there were about four off (including me) and around four on. At least two of whom were after another intermediate station (Glaisdale from what I overheard).

158853 + 156443 at Danby.jpg

(158853 and 156443 basking in the winter sunshine at Danby prior to carrying on towards Whitby)

I then went on my walk up to the moors which was very pleasant, thanks for asking :lol:

Sunshine over Castleton.jpg
(Image looking over the valleys showing the edge of Castleton in the distance, a very bucolic scene in the winter sun)

Arriving in plenty of time at Danby for the return journey (I didn't fancy being stranded until the 1658 back to Middlesbrough!) I was able to take a moment to enjoy the pleasant station "building" (perhaps more accurately termed "hut") next to the original most substantial station building which seems to have been well cared for by the local community including some residents of the Botton Village which is mainly a Camphill Community providing supported living for adults with learning disabilities.

Station Hut.jpg
(Image showing a well cared for station hut with a small library of books and some nice shelving with bits and pieces to brighten up the station environment)

Station security was also present keeping a close eye on proceedings to ensure that there was no anti-social behaviour or other issues from waiting passengers!

Station security.jpg
(Image shows a dog poking its head through a curtain behind the window of the station building giving your intrepid author a good look over, I must have looked suspicious...)

And with that it was time to go home! At bang on 1200 2E03 with 156443 now leading 158853 hove into view round the corner and under the bridge. Another four or so people exited the train and a similar number boarded and from my visual glance it would appear that there were perhaps 30 or so onboard the train as we departed Danby at 1201.

156443 + 158853 roll into Danby.jpg
(Image shows 156443 and 158853 rolling into Danby)

Upon arriving at Nunthorpe around, I would estimate, twenty or so people appeared to be waiting to board the train on to Middlesbrough. Meaning I would say around 50 or so people probably were on the train as it arrived back in Middlesbrough at 1245. There was quite a reasonable churn at Middlesbrough and I would have said that there were probably around 50 people on board as it head to Darlington but most of them probably joined at Middlesbrough. As I was alighting it wasn't possible to be sure but I don't think many remained on going beyond Middlesbrough.

156443 + 158853 stood at MBR.jpg
(Image shows 156443 and 158853 stood at Middlesbrough waiting their departure time. This part of the station canopy has been removed, presumably for refurbishment)

So the services (at least the first two anyway) were relatively popular in both directions such that I would personally call it a success with, I think, comfortably over a 100 people conveyed across the two services. I have my doubts that it will have been a financial success however! Two conductors (who I'm led to believe were receiving a very attractive pay rate for their shift today), two cleaners and three travel safe officers were also in evidence along with the driver as well as, of course, the fuel and other costs of the trains themselves.

The eagle eyed will have spotted a poster advertising the service in the background of the photo taken at Danby and the service definitely did get promoted. I've seen a copy of that poster at Darlington as well as at Middlesbrough (and presumably the other stations served today) it also featured a couple of times in the local press. I'm not sure if it was promoted by Northern on social media, the Esk Valley Railway community rail group certainly promoted it on their Twitter but they don't have that many followers so hard to know how far it spread from there efforts!

Poster at MBR promoting the service.jpg
(Image shows poster at Middlesbrough advertising today's limited service to Whitby with a timetable and suggesting a visit to Whitby or a stroll in the National Park whilst advising dogs go for free, usual fares apply and advance booking not required)

So hard to see how it stacks up financially but the two trains I was on certainly didn't carry fresh air so I, personally, wouldn't have said it was money wasted whoever it was that stumped up the money to make it happen. Perhaps it will help make the case for more local services in the North East in the future. But still even if it is only a one off not to be repeated in future years it was at least an enjoyable way to spend a morning for your correspondent.

snookertam

Always amazed that for much of England there seems to be a full service on 1st Jan. In Scotland not even on 2nd Jan does a full service operate, it’s much reduced on most routes and doesn’t start until mid morning.

Interested that at least one part of England gets a peaceful 1st Jan and I hope that persists.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Finding myself at a loose end today I managed to get myself down to Middlesbrough in order to catch 2E01 the 0953 to Danby and 2E02 the 1201 (1125 ex-Whitby) back again to Middlesbrough (just time for a quick walk up to the moors between trains). Formed of two units, 156443 and 158853, the ECS (5E01 0924 from Darlington) rolled into the platform 2 a few minutes early at 0941 with a conductor waiting for it at Middlesbrough who quickly boarded to prepare the train for service.

View attachment 149497
(Image shows 158853 and 156443 stood at Middlesbrough prior to departure as 2E01 the 0953 Northern service to Whitby)

Once the necessary checks were completed (and having evicted the passengers who boarded too early) the train was boarded and departed (with a different conductor to the one who prepared it for service) a minute down at 0954. I would say from observation there were around forty or so people waiting at Middlesbrough for the service. It was then fast to Nunthorpe, with a minor pause at Gypsy Lane for the crossing, and another, roughly, twenty passengers were picked up. I think from a quick look before I left at Danby there were around 60 people aboard. Upon arrival at Danby there were about four off (including me) and around four on. At least two of whom were after another intermediate station (Glaisdale from what I overheard).

View attachment 149499

(158853 and 156443 basking in the winter sunshine at Danby prior to carrying on towards Whitby)

I then went on my walk up to the moors which was very pleasant, thanks for asking :lol:

View attachment 149500
(Image looking over the valleys showing the edge of Castleton in the distance, a very bucolic scene in the winter sun)

Arriving in plenty of time at Danby for the return journey (I didn't fancy being stranded until the 1658 back to Middlesbrough!) I was able to take a moment to enjoy the pleasant station "building" (perhaps more accurately termed "hut") next to the original most substantial station building which seems to have been well cared for by the local community including some residents of the Botton Village which is mainly a Camphill Community providing supported living for adults with learning disabilities.

View attachment 149501
(Image showing a well cared for station hut with a small library of books and some nice shelving with bits and pieces to brighten up the station environment)

Station security was also present keeping a close eye on proceedings to ensure that there was no anti-social behaviour or other issues from waiting passengers!

View attachment 149502
(Image shows a dog poking its head through a curtain behind the window of the station building giving your intrepid author a good look over, I must have looked suspicious...)

And with that it was time to go home! At bang on 1200 2E03 with 156443 now leading 158853 hove into view round the corner and under the bridge. Another four or so people exited the train and a similar number boarded and from my visual glance it would appear that there were perhaps 30 or so onboard the train as we departed Danby at 1201.

View attachment 149504
(Image shows 156443 and 158853 rolling into Danby)

Upon arriving at Nunthorpe around, I would estimate, twenty or so people appeared to be waiting to board the train on to Middlesbrough. Meaning I would say around 50 or so people probably were on the train as it arrived back in Middlesbrough at 1245. There was quite a reasonable churn at Middlesbrough and I would have said that there were probably around 50 people on board as it head to Darlington but most of them probably joined at Middlesbrough. As I was alighting it wasn't possible to be sure but I don't think many remained on going beyond Middlesbrough.

View attachment 149505
(Image shows 156443 and 158853 stood at Middlesbrough waiting their departure time. This part of the station canopy has been removed, presumably for refurbishment)

So the services (at least the first two anyway) were relatively popular in both directions such that I would personally call it a success with, I think, comfortably over a 100 people conveyed across the two services. I have my doubts that it will have been a financial success however! Two conductors (who I'm led to believe were receiving a very attractive pay rate for their shift today), two cleaners and three travel safe officers were also in evidence along with the driver as well as, of course, the fuel and other costs of the trains themselves.

The eagle eyed will have spotted a poster advertising the service in the background of the photo taken at Danby and the service definitely did get promoted. I've seen a copy of that poster at Darlington as well as at Middlesbrough (and presumably the other stations served today) it also featured a couple of times in the local press. I'm not sure if it was promoted by Northern on social media, the Esk Valley Railway community rail group certainly promoted it on their Twitter but they don't have that many followers so hard to know how far it spread from there efforts!

View attachment 149506
(Image shows poster at Middlesbrough advertising today's limited service to Whitby with a timetable and suggesting a visit to Whitby or a stroll in the National Park whilst advising dogs go for free, usual fares apply and advance booking not required)

So hard to see how it stacks up financially but the two trains I was on certainly didn't carry fresh air so I, personally, wouldn't have said it was money wasted whoever it was that stumped up the money to make it happen. Perhaps it will help make the case for more local services in the North East in the future. But still even if it is only a one off not to be repeated in future years it was at least an enjoyable way to spend a morning for your correspondent.

Sounds like a nice day out.

Wouldn't mind exploring/stopping off at some of the intermediate settlements on the Esk valley - if only the timetable wasn't so abysmal !

12LDA28C

Established Member
Always amazed that for much of England there seems to be a full service on 1st Jan. In Scotland not even on 2nd Jan does a full service operate, it’s much reduced on most routes and doesn’t start until mid morning.

Interested that at least one part of England gets a peaceful 1st Jan and I hope that persists.

Why? It's just another Bank Holiday and I can't see any good reason why a train service shouldn't run as it does on Good Friday, Easter Monday, August Bank Holiday etc. Those of us living in civilisation can't imagine why trains wouldn't run and it was news to me that this unfathomable situation persists in the North East until I saw this thread.

snookertam

Why? It's just another Bank Holiday and I can't see any good reason why a train service shouldn't run as it does on Good Friday, Easter Monday, August Bank Holiday etc. Those of us living in civilisation can't imagine why trains wouldn't run and it was news to me that this unfathomable situation persists in the North East until I saw this thread.
Maybe similar to Scotland, New Years Day is more than just another bank holiday in the North East of England. Different places have their own customs, but it still surprises me that anywhere would view NYD as just another bank holiday. Even the 2nd in Scotland is more than just another holiday.

marty56110

I boarded the 12.36 train at Nunthorpe along with about 40 others, mostly going to the football. One thing I noted was the 5 or so passengers waiting at Gypsy Lane as we sailed passed…….

Deafdoggie

Established Member
Maybe similar to Scotland, New Years Day is more than just another bank holiday in the North East of England. Different places have their own customs, but it still surprises me that anywhere would view NYD as just another bank holiday. Even the 2nd in Scotland is more than just another holiday.
I'd say for the vast majority of England & Wales NYD is just another Bank Holiday. Scotland is different, but even there, the 2nd is more of a normal Bank Holiday & Boxing Day isn't a holiday at all.

marsker

In the NE of England, NYD has long been observed as a public holiday, banks and some public offices opened with a skeleton staff until it became a bank holiday in England and Wales around 1974.
The current offering in the NE is a legacy of that.