• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Newbie terminology questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Nighthawke

I've got the link for that :) Now, does spotting online count or is that a whole other can of worms? o_O

I wouldn't count it, and I guess many/most others wouldn't either. Same with other "spotting" hobbies too - aviation for example. However it is your hobby to enjoy in any way you wish.

You mentioned earlier about asking "silly questions". The only people who will think them silly are the probably those who don't want to help and forget that they were beginners once too.:)

I'm still learning (aren't we all in some way?), and don't always like to ask seemingly obvious questions, so thank you for doing so:D.

Welcome to the hobby and enjoy - I hope you realise what you're getting into - LOL

Peter C

Established Member
I wouldn't count spotting online as proper spotting - if you count the spotting of trains online as real spotting, you could go as far as to look up a photo of every engine/unit in the country, have a look, and then say you've seen it! :D But that's the best bit about this hobby. You do you.

-Peter

Peter C

Established Member
I wouldn't count it, and I guess many/most others wouldn't either. Same with other "spotting" hobbies too - aviation for example. However it is your hobby to enjoy in any way you wish.

You mentioned earlier about asking "silly questions". The only people who will think them silly are the probably those who don't want to help and forget that they were beginners once too.:)

I'm still learning (aren't we all in some way?), and don't always like to ask seemingly obvious questions, so thank you for doing so:D.

Welcome to the hobby and enjoy - I hope you realise what you're getting into - LOL
I'd argue that the trainspotting hobby, for what it's worth, is one of the best hobbies out there - there's no set way of doing things and everyone is left to their own devices in that respect. Plus, we have hundreds of people online helping others. :D

-Peter

SpeedbirdA350

If someone is housebound, and online spotting is the only way they can conduct their hobby, then it is legit spotting in my opinion. Of course, it is an individual issue.

I think once you start to see a train, and know with the lights or windscreen what it might be, or know for sure what it is, then you're getting there. And of course, you have nicknames for the trains too, for example Class 66 is a shed (due to roof), class 67 is a skip (turn it upside down) (both also ying-yings), NMT (new mesurement train) is the flying banana (due to bright yellow colour), then you have others such as class 365 the happy train due to the grill looking like a smile.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
If someone is housebound, and online spotting is the only way they can conduct their hobby, then it is legit spotting in my opinion. Of course, it is an individual issue.

I think once you start to see a train, and know with the lights or windscreen what it might be, or know for sure what it is, then you're getting there. And of course, you have nicknames for the trains too, for example Class 66 is a shed (due to roof), class 67 is a skip (turn it upside down) (both also ying-yings), NMT (new mesurement train) is the flying banana (due to bright yellow colour), then you have others such as class 365 the happy train due to the grill looking like a smile.

A list of class nicknames would be worthy of a thread in its own right - there's so many! :lol:

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Many a time have I thought about making that a reality! :D

-Peter

I think there was something a while back, but not a proper dedicated one. It's probably just as easy to ask general questions like that in this thread to be fair

Serathor

to the OP, I too have a immense interest in all things railway especially UK Rail. However I hardly know anything, and am still learning everyday. I have been a member of this site for a while but only as long term lurker....Welcome to the Forum!

Status
Not open for further replies.