• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Newcastle - High Level Bridge - EC Services

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveNewcastle

Established Member
Its more to do with how each track can connect on either side of the bridge, the main crossover being in the middle of the bridge. (I don't know about weight restrictions).

North of the crossover, the eastern line gives access to all Newcastle Station's low numbered platforms, and the western line gives access only to the southernmost platform and the station avoider.
South of the crossover, Sunderland bound services will use the two tracks as simple Up and Down lines, but any traffic making the loop round to KEB Jn must be on the western line. Its for that reason that both are wired at the northern rnf (the Station end) of the Bridge, but only the western line is wired at the Southern end.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
The track rationalisation from 3 to 2 was done at time of the ECML electrification. With the Metro taking over nearly all the local services, and Sunderland services running through the new island platfom there was no need to have the three tracks any more, hence the removal of the famous east end diamond - much of which gave access from the High Level across the main lines into the suburban station (the current car park).

At one time in the late 70s there was a serious proposal to lift the tracks on the high level completely, it was thought they could get away without it for the normal timetable! In time though they decided to keep it open but with only one track wired as in the timetable the class 91s wouldn't ever use the bridge.

Established Member
I see that it is just two lines across the bridge now with only one wired...does this mean that even after the refurb there is still a major weight restriction imposed? I also noticed the three sets of crossovers to give maximum flexibility should things go wrong....

Dave

I don't think there has been any further restrictions on weight for rail traffic - more the road deck underneath. Only the western line has been electrified since ECML electrification in the 90s. The bridge also doesn't see freight traffic any more.

As for the OP question - yes there are a few services which do go over each day for route knowledge, and it is always available if a set needs to be turned so 1st is at the southern end. Tyneside IECC will also send units over it sometimes for little reason - was talking to the conductor on a Northern service which was supposed to go into platform 10 yet was sent over the High Level and into 7 for no apparent reason.

Mainliner

Currently on the 0956 NCL-KGX service. It's the ex-EMT set, and it came into NCL 'wrong way round', then went back out over the High Level bridge.

I got to the station a bit late and missed any announcement about it coming in the other way round - a pity, as I was booked on coach B :lol:

I do like the large fold-down trays on this set - big enough for laptop and cuppa :)

Status
Not open for further replies.