• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Newport-Stroud/Stonehouse-Swindon/Bedwyn-London

Status
Not open for further replies.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Here's 3 journeys that need to be covered:

• Newport-Stroud
  • Stonehouse-Swindon
  • Bedwyn-London or just Ealing Broadway (depending on cost)
All to be made during the same day, one-way only, on a weekday.

Also Bedwyn could be changed to Hungerford, again if it makes it much cheaper.

The passenger will be using an alternative form of transport to get between Stroud & Stonehouse, and between Swindon & Bedwyn. The passenger holds a Network Railcard.

Any suggestions?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

sonic2009

Established Member
Would the passenger be able to use alternative transport back between Stonehouse & Stroud? Or is there a need to start the journey at Stonehouse for a reason unknown.

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
I'm sure someone will come up with a cheaper alternative but in the absence of any knowledge on 'loophole' options I'd go for:

Newport-Swindon CDS £17.40 - break journey at Stroud
Stroud-Stonehouse CDS £2.90 - then resume the NWP-SWI ticket to carry on to SWI.

Bedwyn-Ealing Broadway CDS £14.15 (with Network Card) or £17.95 to Paddington.

Total £34.45 or £38.25 to Paddington. Travelling from Hungerford makes the final leg slightly cheaper.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Would the passenger be able to use alternative transport back between Stonehouse & Stroud? Or is there a need to start the journey at Stonehouse for a reason unknown.
Actually you're right, it can be:

• Newport-Stonehouse
  • Stroud-Swindon
  • Bedwyn/Hungerford-London/Ealing Broadway
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Newport-Swindon CDS £17.40 - break journey at Stroud
The only mapped route appears to be on map SB, which doesn't include the route via Gloucester & Stroud.

LexyBoy

Established Member
Fares Advisor
The only mapped route appears to be on map SB, which doesn't include the route via Gloucester & Stroud.

That must have changed in the last 7 months as I used a Swindon-Abergavenny SOR via Stroud last year and am fairly sure I checked that it was valid beforehand. I doubt you would have any trouble using NWP-SWI via Stroud so long as you travel via Lydney rather than Bristol Parkway.

Otherwise £31 for Newport-Stonehouse SOR, using the return portion to Swindon. Pricey but allows either route for Newport-Stroud/Stonehouse.

Can't beat Bedwyn-Paddington on a weekday. Could save a couple of quid on a weekend.

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Separate off-peak singles from Newport-Stonehouse via Gloucester (£21.70) and Stroud-Swindon (£7.60) is slightly cheaper but still pricey.

Haywain

Veteran Member
Better would be Newport - Gloucester CDS £13.80 and Gloucester - Swindon via Stroud CDS £8.70.

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
I'm not sure it will as I couldn't trace a mapped route including all the stations mentioned unless I've missed something.

krus_aragon

Established Member
I'm not sure it will as I couldn't trace a mapped route including all the stations mentioned unless I've missed something.

The routeing guide lists, for Newport - London map LW "London to South Wales" (among others). On Map LW, it is possible to go Newport - (Bristol) - Gloucester - Stonehouse - Stroud - Swindon - London. After travelling Newport-Stroud, you'd need technically another ticket to cover Stonehouse-Stroud (£2.90) before resuming your journey with the Newport-Paddington ticket.

Status
Not open for further replies.