Newspaper readership by political party support (YouGov)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by jcollins, 6 May 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jcollins

jcollins Veteran Member

No surprise that the Guardian has the lowest proportion of Tory supporters and the Telegraph has the highest proportion of Tory supporters but maybe the surprise is some Labour supporters read the Telegraph and some Tory supporters read the Guardian.

The Financial Times has the highest proportion of Lib Dem supporters while the Express has the highest proportion of UKIP supporters. The Guardian also has the highest proportion of Green supporters, while SNP supporters seem to prefer the Independent.

http://i100.independent.co.uk/image/29100-1jenpg8.png

2. Searle

Searle Established Member

Interesting to hear that the Lib Dems have the most in the Financial Times, does this hint at the Lib Dems having the best financial plan? Vince Cable does seem to be one of the best MP's I've seen.

On the other hand, not so surprising to see the Express and Mail having a high UKIP support base ;)

3. jcollins

jcollins Veteran Member

The Institute for Fiscal Studies did comment on the Lib Dems' having the most transparent financial plans.

From Wikipedia on Vince Cable:

Some people tipped him to get the Chancellor's role when the Coalition was formed but the Conservatives wanted a Tory in that role but they were happy for the Deputy PM role to go a Senior Lib Dem.

4. Butts

Butts Established Member

People read a Quality Newspaper to garner an in depth report on news events, rather than the superficial accounts in the Tabloid Press.

Given both sides of an event they are capable of evaluating an opinion that may differ from The editorial content of the publication they subscribe to.

The important thing is have the information to be able to formulate an informed opinion.

Most broadsheets have columnists that hold a different perspective in terms of political affilation to their particular outlet.

5. ExRes

ExRes Established Member

What I'd like to know is just how many people YouGov asked when they put these totally incorrect and ridiculous figures together, as is the case with all other polls of course

If we are to take these figures 'seriously' then it would explain a lot that tabloid rubbish like the Mirror and Star are read by so many Labour supporters

6. Merseysider

Merseysider Established Member Fares Advisor

And the daily mail isn't rubbish? :roll:

7. table38

table38 Established Member

Ed Miliband has written in the Daily Mail. So anyone who thinks everything in the Daily Mail is rubbish must also think what Miliband said is rubbish :)

8. Merseysider

I think what they all say is rubbish :lol:

9. LexyBoy

LexyBoy Established Member Fares Advisor

Most interesting is the share of Labour's vote in the Sun's readers, given Murdoch's incessant campaign against Labour.

Well, that didn't take long for the childish namecalling to begin :rolleyes:

Please explain how you know it to be totally incorrect and ridiculous without having been bothered to (a) find the original research, (b) look at previous years data which would show similar trends, or (c) conducting a poll yourself.

10. table38

Interesting that the Daily Mail, a newspaper run by evil right-wingers, turns a healthy profit (£536m for 2014), whereas the Guardian, run by responsible left-wingers loses £30m a year.

I'm sure some people would draw a connection between running a newspaper and running the country, but not me :)
    --- old post above --- --- new post below ---
    Creative use of the word "incessant" given the Sun supported Blair for 12 years :)

[​IMG]

Last edited: 6 May 2015
  11. DaleCooper

DaleCooper Established Member

I doubt these figures tell us much, a lot of people don't buy a newspaper for it's political stance but for its sport pages, entertainment news, financial reporting or foreign news for example. I used to buy the Times for the crossword even though I disagreed with its politics.

12. jcollins

jcollins Veteran Member

A lot of links to stories on the Daily Mail website get shared on forums, social media and by email mainly due to how ridiculous the stories are. I imagine they make a fortunate in advertising on their website, whereas the Guardian prints sensible stories but a large number of people aren't interested because they don't like the paper and there's no entertainment value.

13. table38

Some would say that's the free market giving the people what they want, rather than what someone thinks they should want. (But again, not me :))

14. TheKnightWho

TheKnightWho Established Member

So it's rubbish because..?

I do love it when people rubbish statistics because they don't agree with their worldview. They never really seem to come up with anything other than "not enough people", which is a terrible argument when with this sort of thing you never need more than a few hundred, so long as they're not concentrated in some way.

15. edwin_m

edwin_m Veteran Member

Are you (not) suggesting that the way to run a country is to make lots of money out of it and give it to your shareholders?
    --- old post above --- --- new post below ---
    The Sun supported Labour during the Blair years. But this year it has come out for the Tories in England and the SNP in Scotland, which looks like nothing more than an anti-Labour campaign.

16. table38

Better than bankrupting it so there is "no money left" to do anything :) If the shareholders are investing, and sharing the risk, then why not?

17. ExRes

ExRes Established Member

It's rubbish because I haven't been asked my opinion, nor have the vast majority of the population, therefore the poll means nothing other than the view of people who have volunteered to take part in regular polls, are you happy to have your 'opinion' given by others ?

Before you ask, yes I have, I was a YouGov tick the box member at one time and I know exactly how you can lie or bend the truth on these pointless excercises, concentration matters not a jot, most people register on YouGov do so because they want to put their beliefs forward and, just as in the case of union officials and politicians, they are the few that wish to give up their spare time to do so, YouGov will never know the true political or geographical concentration of their 'opinion givers'

18. TheKnightWho

You can't rubbish polls just because they didn't ask literally everything. Statistically the more people you ask the less extra information you get, and past a few hundred it's negligible.

Seriously, you don't get to rubbish this just because you don't fit one of the trends or because it doesn't fit your worldview. Polls can be manipulated, but this is hardly a strong example of that. If you've got anything more substantial than "not enough people", "it's probably manipulative" and "the sample is biased" (when this is always controlled for - the people who run these aren't stupid) without giving specifics then please do let us know.

19. devon_metro

devon_metro Established Member

Forgive me if i'm wrong, but you seem to be implying that the way to run the country is to lose money? (rather than giving profits to the evil shareholders...)

20. Amberley54

Amberley54 Member

I must be one of the few Labour candidates standing tomorrow that occasionally buys the Daily 'hate' Mail.

Take it to laugh at some of the hysterically distorted news items, But mainly for the rather more objective personal health and sports reporting.

The majority shareholder of the publisher of the Mail currently enjoys 'non-dom' status because his grandfather, Lord Rothemere, lived in the UK. The current Rothemere lives in Paris. I wonder how much UK tax he pays on that multi-million £ profit/dividend?

Anyway, off to bed soon. Early start in the morning

21. yorksrob

yorksrob Veteran Member

Indeed. In my experience, the editorial page is usually one of the least worthwhile parts of the newspaper to read, above only the fashion and cookery pages.

22. edwin_m

edwin_m Veteran Member

Looking at the relative size of the Daily Mail's profits and the Guardian's losses, I think I'd prefer the Government to borrow a small amount each year to fund a "loss" than to take a much larger amount out of the economy to give to its cronies. This isn't a political point as such, unless you wish to make it so.

23. ExRes

ExRes Established Member

A YouGov poll is as reliable as an exit poll, it can only present the facts or fiction that are supplied, if I choose to tell an exit poll tomorrow that I've voted Labour then they will believe my lie, if I fill in 100 YouGov polls they will believe my lies, that is why I have no faith whatsoever in YouGov or any other polls

24. TheKnightWho

No-one claims polls are perfect. However, the point is that they give a generally good idea with a margin of error that can be calculated. Some of these are systematic and some will be random, but they can be (and are) controlled for.

Polls don't just publish the raw data and nothing else - they always make sure to give context and statistical calculations.

25. Merseysider

Describe, please, how you would conduct an accurate, fair, impartial and reliable poll then :)

26. fowler9

fowler9 Established Member

I am a big lefty. I read the Daily Mail because it is hilarious. It winds me up and makes me feel alive. It guarantees me a bigger laugh than the Star or the Mirror and I wouldn't touch the S*n with yours. If I want a good read I get the Independent or the Guardian.

The Express is just rubbish. Stories about the Royal Family.

27. ExRes

ExRes Established Member

I wouldn't waste my time conducting one

Should I add a :) as well ?

28. TheKnightWho

Yeah, let's not do anything ever unless it's totally 100% perfect even when that's impossible!

29. gswindale

gswindale Member

Well, we're going to participate in one tomorrow (unless the number of non voters or spoilt ballot papers means it won't be accurate enough for some)!

30. ExRes

ExRes Established Member

I do not believe polls are accurate or even a vague necessity, am I entitled to have that opinion without your sniping or not ?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.