• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Newton, Lanarkshire - works

Status
Not open for further replies.

mfc3024

Apologies if I have missed this on previous threads, but does anyone know what work is being done at Newton, Lanarkshire?

It appears as if they are building a new platform in between the split in the tracks where it divides to southside of Glasgow and the WCML into Glasgow. This is a bit further up the track from the existing two platforms and the car park.

If anyone can advise what is being done that would be great.

Thanks.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

PaxVobiscum

Established Member
Was wondering about that myself, so I did a search on the Network Rail website and found this: http://www.networkrail.co.uk/news/2012/november/Find-out-about-whats-happening-at-Newton-Junction/
Find out what's happening at Newton Junction

We've started work to improve the flexibility and efficiency of the junction and allow a smoother flow of rail traffic through Newton, South Lanarkshire

The £10m project will modernise a key junction on Scotland’s railway and also increase the number of available train paths for both local and cross-border services. It will help deliver an even better performing railway for train operator and passengers.

Scheduled for completion by winter 2013, the work involves:

re-modelling the junction with the addition of a new section of track to allow trains to move from one line to another
reconfiguring the overhead stanchions that carry the electric power lines
upgrading the signalling
To minimise disruption, our engineers will work extensively at evenings and weekends over the next 12 months, and we'll schedule in other work to coincide with the times the railway is quietest.

No single leads included I trust?

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
I think they are doubling the chord at Newton West Junction that takes trains between the Hamilton line and the WCML towards Glasgow. The Eastern Junction/ connection, which allows moves between the Newton and Uddingston direct is remaining single lead AFAIK.

mfc3024

I had wondered if they were planning to allow Edinburgh bound trains to stop at Newton. Given the huge amount of housing there and big car park I would have thought it would be an ideal commuting station for Edinburgh, but then Uddingston and Motherwell are not far away and both of them have limited services to Edinburgh.

Status
Not open for further replies.