• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Next Labour leader?- and when?? (guessing game)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

phoenixcronin

If, as seems somewhat likely, Labour gets wiped out the moderates in swing seats are the most likely to lose, meaning the hard left faction of the PLP will grow.

They'll likely nominate Corbyn again, or some other Corbyn crony like Long-Bailey or McDonnell

Last edited:

pemma

Veteran Member
If Corbyn led Labour does at least as well as Milliband led Labour did 2 years ago then I can't see Corbyn going any time soon.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
An increased or even maintained share of the vote ( even in the face of loses of seats) will be used to justify Corbyn remaining as leader.

Howardh

Established Member
What about Douglas Carswell? Seeing as he's been in just about every other party...

richw

Veteran Member
Support for JC seems to be growing amongst the public if not his own MPs. If he has closed the gap considerably over 2 years, i suggest he'd be appropriate to give a longer run at it. He seems very people orientated

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Is this thread meant to divert attention away from the future of another party leader, one with less than a year in office, but from whom power is draining away at an ever increasing rate?

pemma

Veteran Member
Is this thread meant to divert attention away from the future of another party leader, one with less than a year in office, but from whom power is draining away at an ever increasing rate?

I think so. Paul Sidorczuk, who started the thread, was earlier blaming the media for wanting American style leader's debates (something we only got because of David Cameron pushing for it in 2010) and had a go at posters for putting the focus on Theresa May not the Conservative Party (when Theresa May wants the focus to he on 'her and her team' not the Conservative brand.)

phoenixcronin

If the moderates put up someone like Owen Smith again he's guaranteed to lose. He seemed totally disingenuous, trying to pretend he was just as "radical" (whatever the hell that means) as Corbyn in the hopes of trying to win votes.

It was really sad to watch

Bevan Price

Established Member
My own choices might be Stephen Kinnock or Hilary Benn - but probably neither are enough "left" to get much support from those who elected Mr Corbyn, and I suspect they would choose somebody like John McDonnell.

Railsigns

Established Member
Any particular reason why?

I think he'd move the party too far to the right, although probably not to the same extent as Blair. I'd have to see what his policies were as leader before deciding where to put my 'X'.

pemma

Veteran Member
And I'd probably stop voting Labour if he was leader, along with thousands of others.

Yet there's millions of centralist voters who won't vote for a party that seems too left wing or too right wing and not all of them would consider voting Lib Dem. Would people like yourself prefer a left wing party on the opposition benches and a centre-right party in power, or a centre-left party in power?

The number of Labour party members are very small in comparison to the number of centralist voters.

D365

Veteran Member
Perhaps it may be an opportune time to open a new thread....similar to that recently started about the leader of another party.

Any views?

My view is why do we need a discussion on this when Labour is gaining ground on the Conservatives? What failures has Jeremy Corbyn made that may result to his dismissal as leader of the Labour Party?

Established Member
My view is why do we need a discussion on this when Labour is gaining ground on the Conservatives? What failures has Jeremy Corbyn made that may result to his dismissal as leader of the Labour Party?

Spot on, I couldn't agree more.

As it stands, even if the Tories win, I think Jeremy Corbyn has done enough to warrant staying as Labour leader.

Railsigns

Established Member
Yet there's millions of centralist voters who won't vote for a party that seems too left wing or too right wing and not all of them would consider voting Lib Dem. Would people like yourself prefer a left wing party on the opposition benches and a centre-right party in power, or a centre-left party in power?

It is not a proven fact that the Labour Party becomes more electable the further it moves to the right.

Labour's position in the polls now under Jeremy Corbyn is higher than the party's actual polling at the 2015 general election under Ed Miliband.

Jeremy Corbyn's position isn't particularly far to the left. The country has previously elected Labour governments which have been more left-wing than he is.

pemma

Veteran Member
Despite May's claim that the Conservatives are now the middle ground party, they've actually become more right wing since Cameron stood down and people are starting to realise that which is why Labour are gaining in the polls. Corbyn has also compromised a lot for the Labour manifesto e.g. he didn't include removing the monarchy or scrapping Trident in the manifesto.

Also don't forget Ed Milliband was more left wing than the 3 Labour leaders before him and was also a surprise winner of the leadership contest.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.