• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Nice Towns

Status
Not open for further replies.

I'm quite fond of my recently adopted home town of King's Lynn, although there are plenty of arguments to be made for it to be in the rubbish towns thread instead. Some lovely medieval architecture, plenty of history, parks, decent facilities for a town of its size. It's rough in places but that's true of pretty much anywhere - really not as bad as my (mostly Cambridge-dwelling) workmates seem to think. It's not Wisbech. Otherwise, I like Ely a lot (it's only a small city...), Sheringham, Cromer. Had a good first impression of Penzance on a recent, although very brief visit.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

PaulMc7

Established Member
Anything along the Fife coastline tbh.

Burntisland, Kinghorn, Aberdour etc

d9009alycidon

How does Stranraer fit into the classification , as an (ex) port town.?

Pretty much in the same classification as Girvan, only even more remote. I had a caravan in Portpatrick for a number of years and went into Stranraer regularly. Never found it too bad, plenty of shops, pubs and cafes, locals friendly.

I'm quite fond of my recently adopted home town of King's Lynn, although there are plenty of arguments to be made for it to be in the rubbish towns thread instead. Some lovely medieval architecture, plenty of history, parks, decent facilities for a town of its size. It's rough in places but that's true of pretty much anywhere - really not as bad as my (mostly Cambridge-dwelling) workmates seem to think. It's not Wisbech. Otherwise, I like Ely a lot (it's only a small city...), Sheringham, Cromer. Had a good first impression of Penzance on a recent, although very brief visit.

King's Lynn is a very fine town. I wonder what would happen if it became just as bit more commutable from London: would the extra money washing around soften its rough edges, or would it become insufferably chi-chi?

Last edited:

scotrail158713

Established Member
I've got soft spots for both North Berwick and Kelso. Always visit them both if I can when back in UK.
North Berwick is about half an hour away from where I live and I enjoy an afternoon out there on a nice day. Dunbar also fits into this category for me.

The Clyde Coast has a series of "resorts" that vary from nice to war zones

The Good ones

Largs - very nice
Troon - well, I live there - very,very nice
Prestwick - Quite nice, although on a Friday and Saturday evening it is becoming "lively" thanks to a booming nightlife.
My grandparents lived in East Ayrshire so when we went to visit them when I was younger we frequently went out for lunch in Troon. We usually went twice a year, in February and July, and the difference between those two times was huge. It was a beautiful place in July, but walking along the front on a windy February afternoon was never much fun. :D

Does that include Methil and Buckhaven ?
At least people from Methil are creative with their football chants :lol:
(See the rubbish towns thread)

d9009alycidon

My grandparents lived in East Ayrshire so when we went to visit them when I was younger we frequently went out for lunch in Troon. We usually went twice a year, in February and July, and the difference between those two times was huge. It was a beautiful place in July, but walking along the front on a windy February afternoon was never much fun. :D

You should have been here last Sunday, it was not warm with driving rain - it felt like February! But that is the Glasgow Fair for you. TBH all British coastal towns are dismal places from October to March

scotrail158713

Established Member
TBH all British coastal towns are dismal places from October to March
Yep. The aforementioned North Berwick and Dunbar lose their appeal on a windy January afternoon. If it’s a still day though, then they’re ok but a cold wind on the beach isn’t fun.

On another note, I went to Scarborough and Whitby for the weekend last September and was pleasantly surprised. Scarborough is a bit run down in some places, but walking around it was fascinating to compare the two completely different beaches. I had a nice round of putting as well.
Whitby Abbey and the various small shops were also really interesting. I didn’t have any fish and chips in Whitby though, despite lots of people telling me I should have.

Calthrop

Established Member
Further on the theme of Whitby -- which I concur is a thoroughly nice place: I visited the town a few years ago, as part of a "lightning couple of days' tour of the North-East" with my brother. We had planned to visit the Abbey; but discovered that nowadays, under the aegis of English Heritage, the place is "walled-off" at quite a distance, from the vulgar gaze; and an extortionate fee is required, to enter the "reservation" and see the Abbey in any detail. Left to myself, I'd likely have bitten the bullet and paid to go in; but my brother is, to an impassioned extent, of the "common weal" persuasion, and said " **** this for a game of soldiers -- we're turning our backs on it"; so we did, and left town. (Anyway, decades previously -- before the current set-up obtained -- I'd been to Whitby and seen the Abbey close-up.) The evening before, we did have fish and chips at Whitby's Magpie Cafe -- indeed superlative.

scotrail158713

Established Member
Further on the theme of Whitby -- which I concur is a thoroughly nice place: I visited the town a few years ago, as part of a "lightning couple of days' tour of the North-East" with my brother. We had planned to visit the Abbey; but discovered that nowadays, under the aegis of English Heritage, the place is "walled-off" at quite a distance, from the vulgar gaze; and an extortionate fee is required, to enter the "reservation" and see the Abbey in any detail. Left to myself, I'd likely have bitten the bullet and paid to go in; but my brother is, to an impassioned extent, of the "common weal" persuasion, and said " **** this for a game of soldiers -- we're turning our backs on it"; so we did, and left town. (Anyway, decades previously -- before the current set-up obtained -- I'd been to Whitby and seen the Abbey close-up.) The evening before, we did have fish and chips at Whitby's Magpie Cafe -- indeed superlative.
Yeah I remember it was quite an expensive entrance fee. I only went in because you seemed to get free entry with Historic Scotland membership - something I have.
In fact, it was exactly the same case with Scarborough castle.

Wirewiper

In Devon: Totnes, Dartmouth, Okehampton, Tavistock. I also like Torquay very much although it does have its rough areas - the Wellswood/Babbacombe/St Marychurch swathe is delightful though.

scotrail158713

Established Member
Well according to my cousin it’s a tropical 16C in Lerwick today! It really is a heatwave.

Sorry, wrong thread.

Last edited:

Butts

Veteran Member
North Berwick is about half an hour away from where I live and I enjoy an afternoon out there on a nice day.

Just got back from North Berwick having visited by rail today. 6 Carriages from Waverley pretty full and a big contrast to my trip to Stranraer on Tuesday.

Place was heaving and the narrow streets clogged with traffic an accident waiting to happen.

Good little Museum above the Library. Is there a Tesco Express there ?

I had to defect to the co-op on the High Street for my "meal deal lunch" - 50p dearer than tesco but the sandwich was fuller.

scotrail158713

Established Member
Just got back from North Berwick having visited by rail today. 6 Carriages from Waverley pretty full and a big contrast to my trip to Stranraer on Tuesday.

Place was heaving and the narrow streets clogged with traffic an accident waiting to happen.
6 car trains are increasingly common off-peak now which is good. The streets are too narrow for nowadays, which is a shame, and the only negative I can find with the town as a visitor.

Is there a Tesco Express there ?

I had to defect to the co-op on the High Street for my "meal deal lunch" - 50p dearer than tesco but the sandwich was fuller.
There’s no Tesco Express on the High Street - there’s a big Tesco on the edge of the town where the ECB buses finish but it’s about a 20-25 minute walkway. Most of the East Lothian towns have Co-Op’s on the High Street, not really any small Tesco, Sainsburys shops.

lxfe_mxtterz

After today's brief excursion around Shropshire, which included visiting both Shrewsbury and Bridgnorth for the first time (yes, shocking, I know ;)), I also have to agree that Shrewsbury is indeed a very lovely town. I was also pleasantly surprised by Bridgnorth, with its quaint High Street and cliff railway.

Another very nice town which springs to mind is Aberystwyth, and to extend things further slightly, New Quay is also a beautiful little place, and is a fantastic example of what a small seaside town should look like. :)

One more submission, although I'm aware it is a village and not a town, is Portmeirion. Yes, it's a tourist village and is intended to look nice, but regardless, it is still one of the most beautiful places I've ever had the fortune to visit. :D

Shaw S Hunter

Established Member
Sheringham, Cromer, Falmouth, Penzance, Appleby, Settle, Skipton, Knaresborough, Whitby, Sandwich, Deal, Folkestone, Hastings, Weymouth, Tunbridge Wells, Southport, Wigan, Hebden Bridge, Huddersfield.

One word I would never use to describe Wigan is nice! I live close by and have been in the wider district for over 30 years. Highly functional certainly, it lacks for little save for wealth, but it has a rough edge which is never far from the surface. It is however quite affordable. And it's miles better than nearby Bolton.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
One word I would never use to describe Wigan is nice! I live close by and have been in the wider district for over 30 years. Highly functional certainly, it lacks for little save for wealth, but it has a rough edge which is never far from the surface. It is however quite affordable. And it's miles better than nearby Bolton.

I find the Tudor centre quite charming !

But its some of the pubs I probably like more.

d9009alycidon

Visited Newbury on business last week and found it a pleasant place, plenty of places to eat and drink, generally nice atmosphere about the place. Nice station as well, was entertained by a couple of class 59s on aggregate trains while I was waiting for my train home!

eMeS

I think the community down South is more of a chosen community than a local community. ..
Edit: FWIW, I think you would find the same thing in the big Northern cities like Manchester, ....

Sorry if this is a bit late:

I've lived in Milton Keynes since 1982 (just before MKC was opened), but was brought up as a Mancunian firstly in a suburb of Manchester, and then just over the River Mersey in Cheadle, and went to school in Manchester. We had close family friends in Kirkham, Lancs, and the difference in social attitudes between our home area in Cheadle and that in Kirkham couldn't have been more different. Our avenue in Cheadle* was very similar to any of the southern suburbs I've lived in since starting work. People were friendly and helpful, but didn't intrude. Kirkham* was different. Kitchen doors were not locked during the day, and neighbours expected to be able to raid one's kitchen for essentials such as sugar, flour etc. I found this "familiarity" very unpleasant, and very definitely prefer the "reserve" of Cheadle, Cheshire and where I've lived in the south - North Finchley, New Barnet, Harpenden, Colney Heath - neighbours all very similar in friendliness, but not intruding on my life. (For the record, I did National Service in the RAF and was very definitely ragged by the southerners over my Manchester accent.)

*The houses in the two roads were very similar - 3 bedroom semis, so it wasn't a matter of detached versus terraced housing, and the men had similar lower middle manager or technician occupations.

Peregrine 4903

Established Member
This is a more controversial one but I think Milford Haven is personally a really nice place. I was really surprised by how nice it was when I recently visited on holiday. Particularly the marina and waterfront which are lovely. It does have a couple of rough areas but they don't seem too bad.

Milford Haven is what I expected Haverforedwest to be and Haverfordwest is what I expected Milford Haven to be.

Ayman Ilham

Another vote for Shrewsbury.

I was pleasantly surprised by Petersfield when I spent a few hours there.
Ditto, Dorking.
Stroud has character in abundance, and is probably large enough to be an interesting place to live, too.
Agree about St Albans
Saffron Walden
Maldon
Bath

I can think of a few other larger towns (eg Reading, Nottingham) that probably make good places to live too, without being overwhelmingly delightful at first glance.
And others (Cheltenham, Droitwich) which in some ways might appear to qualify for this kind of list, but which have something inescapable that is slightly odd and jarring about them accompanying the positives.
Saffron Walden is the town I lived most of my life in, and despite being lovely in many places (marketplace, museum, Bridge End gardens, etc.) to the point where it should really be in Cambridgeshire rather than Essex (espeically given it's closer and better connected to Cambridge than 'proper' Essex i.e. Braintree/Chelmsford/Southend/Colchester; and it uses Cambridge postcodes), I did find it rather boring cos there wasn't an awful lot going on there despite a few tourist attractions so overall meh. Bus connections were pretty basic (all hourly and connect every local village on the way to termini) and the nearest train station is out of town. I've been to similar-sized towns (population around 15k) with a lot more going for them like Aberystwyth in mid-Wales (definitely up there in the 'nice towns' list), which is VERY picturesque (especially by the seaside) and has a sizeable university, as well as a lovely transport interchange (bus services literally go everywhere in Wales and seem to integrate nicely with the train) in the centre conveniently located near both town shops and retail parks. Also, Skipton in North Yorkshire has express bus links (every 30 minutes) to both Leeds and Manchester, as well as a 4-platform train station with frequent trains to Leeds and Bradford, as well as being a gateway to the Yorkshire Dales and hence a significant tourist hub. Unlike Saffron Walden, Skipton's castle is still well in-tact and not in complete ruins. Also, Saffron Walden is pretty expensive (possibly due to its proximity to Cambridge) given I'm living in better houses at cheaper prices up north; the fact that it has a Pret but no Greggs says it all really :lol:

MK is another town that often describes itself as a city. Though in MK's case it is because the Commission for the New Towns called it a "New City", and prior to becoming a unitary authority its offical title was "The Borough and New City of Milton Keynes". A "new city" was simply to signify it as the largest of the New Towns (being a slightly different model from the others), and not to imply city status. It sort of makes sense if you consider it as one word - if it was in German it might be a "Neugrossstadt", which could have a totally different meaning from a "Grossstadt" on its own, if you see what I mean.

Oddly, if you get on a bus in MK you ask for "city please", whereas in most actual cities (other than ones where you ask for the fare rather than the destination, e.g. Manchester) it's "to town".
I remember when I lived in East Anglia, people in Norwich (which is an actual city) say 'I'm going into the city' (makes sense), but everyone up north (Manchester, Leeds, Liverpool, etc.) seems to say 'I'm going to town' instead. It was understandable with Bangor when I lived in North Wales, cos that city is smaller than a lot of towns (really punches above its weight though), but a big city like Manchester?? When there are CITIES the size of towns or even villages (i.e. St Davids) out there, I REFUSE to call Manchester a town! I'm probably the only one here that says 'going into the city' instead! Is it only in the south that people say 'city'? What other places do people say 'city' instead of 'town' when referring to the centre other than London, Norwich and MK?

City status should be scrapped as it is meaningless in 2019. It wouldn't be surprised if it causes large towns without city status to underperform economically.
St Asaph is a good example to really drive home the fact city status, as much as I find it interesting, means nothing except a mere ceremonial title. It somehow won city status for Wales in 2012 instead of Wrexham (largest town in North Wales by a long shot) despite the latter putting a lot more into the bid (£20000 as opposed to St Asaph's £300) but somehow St Asaph got lucky and won it, despite being smaller and having less to do than pretty much every notable town in its own county (Rhyl, Prestatyn, Denbigh and even Ruthin) never mind Wrexham! I suppose it's cos Wrexham is that much of a dump that the Queen didn't want it to become a city and the only other candidate that made a bid for city status in Wales at the time was, you guessed it, St Asaph. To be fair, its cathedral has a lot of history behind it (notably the authoring of the first Welsh Bible), its parks by the Elwy riverside are actually really nice to walk around (visited there last week) and its out-of-town facilities are pretty good for a place of its size (Tweedmill Outlet is actually brilliant for what it is and the business park, which has a campus of Glyndwr uni, is doing really well and allows the city to have more people working there than actually living there). However, beyond that, there is really nothing special and it doesn't even have a proper town square ('city centre' is just a mini-roundabout by the cathedral with a few shops and pubs around it), prominent council building (i.e. city hall) or proper tourist attractions in town besides the cathedral; even St Davids (a city half the size of St Asaph) has all of the above (city hall, picturesque market square, visitor centre and plenty of thriving shops around town). Also, it's high street has actually been declining as half the buildings are now disused and both its banks closed years ago, with the buildings still yet to be bought and put to new use! Some progress has been happening over the years (new extension to the secondary school is probably the biggest building in the city; the library has also been completely redone and probably doubles as a visitor centre (I wouldn't know cos it was closed when I went there); the service station off the main A55 exit has been refurbished and recently got a new Subway), but it's very slow! It's not even a primary destination on the A55, despite literally being just off it! Don't get me wrong, St Asaph is a lovely place (could include it on the 'nice towns' list), at least nicer than the dump next-door they call Rhyl, but really needs more attractions than just the cathedral and a couple of parks (dunno if the Library and Co-Op count lol) as well as a regenerated high-street so its city status can actually make more sense. There's so much potential for it to become a new hub for North Wales, especially given its proximity to the A55, the number of buildings that can be given a new lease of life and the amount of space at the business park for new development like maybe a new retail park with a big IKEA, John Lewis and what not or a shopping mall (intu Glan Clwyd has a nice ring to it) to serve the entirety of North Wales. A lot of people around the region commute to St Asaph for work thanks to the business park, but I strongly feel it can do a lot more and there were definitely a lot of missed opportunities to capitalise on its city status, but I suppose the city council just doesn't have the funding to do everything they need to do!

I don't think even the most committed Burnley-ite would say it's a "nice" town, though the surrounding area has lovely scenery!
I find Burnley to be quite nice as a town, as well as its scenic surroundings. Sure it may look a bit grim (especially the name) in many parts but functionally, it has a lovely modern bus station with great variety of local and interurban bus services (thanks to Transdev) excellent pedestrian access to the rest of the town centre. Architecture is brilliant too, although Blackburn is even better with most of these factors in mind! Blackburn's bus station is an AMAZING piece of modern architecture in my opinion! Wish I could say the same about the rail services :lol: Rawtenstall is lovely too, especially now with its new bus station!

Am I the only one who actually likes Bolton town centre? Victoria Square is lovely to walk around in and Le Mans Crescent just behind the town hall adds to the charm, especially the architecture and all that. I especially love the new interchange featuring a massive ultramodern airport-like bus station with an excellent walkway leading to the train station; now that's what I call integrated transport planning at its finest! Morrison's nearby is also great. If anything, it's certainly better than Oldham!

Last edited:

Makenzie

Farnham
Alresford
Alton
Tewkesbury
St Albans (a city by name but really a town)
Llandudno
Rye
Stamford
Harrogate
Hitchin, Ludlow and Bridgnorth (as the OP/previous posters have said)
Tenterden
Holt
Pickering
I love Llandudno, I've spent a whole day on the Great Orme, i saw a herd of wild goats too. I finished off the day with a ride on the bobsleigh! :)

Ayman Ilham

I love Llandudno, I've spent a whole day on the Great Orme, i saw a herd of wild goats too. I finished off the day with a ride on the bobsleigh! :)
Llandudno is definitely one of my favourite towns in North Wales! Plenty of stuff to offer and brilliant beaches too; it puts Rhyl to shame, not that Rhyl's any good to begin with :lol: Bangor is definitely up there, especially considering I used to go to school there during my later secondary school years! It has city status (oldest city in Wales) even though it's a similar-ish size to other major towns on the North Wales coast, but it actually makes sense (unlike the other 'city' in North Wales, St Asaph) considering it packs pretty much all the elements you'd expect from a city into the size of a modest town - an established university (my dad used to work there) which puts Wrexham's Glyndwr to shame, the busiest train station in North Wales (only C1 category station within North Wales too), major hospital, pretty much every chain supermarket available within the city, two retail parks, two shopping centres (granted they are small but do the job), longest high-street in Wales, plenty of tourist attractions like Garth Pier and the Menai Suspension Bridge, nice public spaces throughout the city centre, overall it does a lot for somewhere with under 20k residents and it's surprisingly cosmopolitan especially for somewhere in Gwynedd, which is otherwise the most Welsh part of Wales! It certainly stands out as a regional hub, which is what a city should do. St Asaph needs to up its game ;)

Last edited:

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member

Llandudno really seems to have had a bit of a comeback, with improved hotels and new restaurants and the likes, though more as a weekend break destination for the likes of my parents than a week's family bucket-and spade-ing. It was incredibly run down in the 90s.

bramling

Veteran Member
Llandudno really seems to have had a bit of a comeback, with improved hotels and new restaurants and the likes, though more as a weekend break destination for the likes of my parents than a week's family bucket-and spade-ing. It was incredibly run down in the 90s.

It seems to have dug roots down as a base for coach tours. We stayed there for two weeks the year before last and enjoyed it as a base and as a town in its own right, but by the end of the two weeks it had become a little oppressive being constantly surrounded by geriatrics!

Status
Not open for further replies.