• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Nicknames for specific engines or types of engine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andy873

I've learnt whilst reading one of Stuart Taylor's books covering Lancashire that certain engines and types of engines were given nicknames.

Example, the Aspinall 0-6-0 engines built by the Lancashire & Yorkshire railway:
One was nicknamed "Puffing Billy", and one "Thunderbird and Mallard" presumably as these were small old engines (by the mid 1950's) which worked the slow push and pull services. These engines were generally known as "Lanky's", maybe over in Yorkshire they were known as "Yorkies".

The WD Austerity 2-8-0 engines were known as "Duggies" but can't think why.

With that, I was wondering what nicknames (not official names) you knew certain engines by or type of engines by, perhaps you worked at a station, goods yard, signaller, or maybe you were just a member of the public watching them go by...

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

billh

I've learnt whilst reading one of Stuart Taylor's books covering Lancashire that certain engines and types of engines were given nicknames.

With that, I was wondering what nicknames (not official names) you knew certain engines by or type of engines by, perhaps you worked at a station, goods yard, signaller, or maybe you were just a member of the public watching them go by...
Around here, WDs were known as Dubdees, derivation obvious, never heard them called Duggies. Perhaps it was a shortening of Dubdee? We called the Stanier 5MTs, Micks or Mickeys, a shortening of Mikado wheel arrangement (2-8-2) which they weren't (4-6-0)!Never heard them called them Black 5s then.
LMS 8Fs were Consuls, not after the Ford car but the Consolidation wheel arrangement. Any shunting loco, usually an ancient 0-6-0 tender engine of GC,LNER or LMS heritage was a Coffee Pot.More obvious one's were Jubs,Scots,Pats and Brits, less so was the Semis, Stanier 8P 4-6-2 so-called as they were semi-streamlined. Some names have become more common nationally since the demise of steam, WDs are now Austerities:D

12LDA28C

Established Member
Pretty much every class of diesel and electric loco had/have nicknames. Couldn't say about steam though, rather before my time.

billh

All the early diesels, up to intro of class 47 were "MLDs" (Main Line Diesels) , the 350Hp EE shunters (later 08, Gronks) I don't remember having a name in those days.

Gloster

Established Member
There is the point that nicknames used by enthusiasts may not be the same as those used by railwaymen, but because the former were more likely to put their name into print, this gets established as ‘the’ nickname. I once read an article that, with a certain amount of evidence, put forward the proposition that Jinty was originally an enthusiast’s (or enthusiasts’) nickname, possibly a corruption of jaunty. In that case it had spread widely and became the accepted name, even among some railwaymen, but in other cases the railwaymen’s name has been washed out of history by the enthusiasts’ name, which is then claimed to be the railwaymen’s name.

And you also had different names for the same type in different areas, or a type that had a nickname in one area and was known by its official name (or b****y XYZ rubbish) in another.

Rescars

I recall, following the withdrawal of the Hymeks, one WR platform inspector speaking disparagingly about Class 31s as "Tiny Tim off the Midland".

D6130

Established Member
In Scotland and the North of England the small 0-4-0 saddle tank locos used for shunting at collieries, docks, etc. were known as 'Pugs'....presumably because their squat, flat-faced appearance was similar to that of the eponymous breed of dog. In some parts of Scotland the name was also applied to any type of tank engine used for shunting in depots and yards.

The ex-Caledonian Railway class 3F 0-6-0 tender freight locos were known as 'Jumbos'. Maybe that was because - despite their small size - they could move heavy loads....like an elephant.

In my teenage spotting days in Scotland we called the BRCW class 26 & 27 locos 'buckets' because of their rounded cab ends, although I believe that enthusiasts in the North West of England used that nickname for class 40s.

When spotting in the Teesside/Darlington area, while staying with my grandparents during school holidays, the local spotters referred to the WD 2-8-0s as 'Aussie Plonks'....the first word being an abbreviation of 'Austerity' and the second referring to the loud clanking noise made by their motion.

In the 60s, when I was a spotter on the GWR mainline, a 61xx tank was universally known as "tanner-oner". For the post-decimalization generation, that's a reference to sixpence and one penny. :)

I don't remember any nicknames for any other GWR locos, although of course, any self-respecting spotter would be able to identify 4-6-0s from a distance, which in my area would have been Kings, Castles, Halls and Counties.

Harvester

Established Member
On trips to Carlisle as a youngster in the early sixties, any Duchess seen would be referred to as a ‘Semi’. I never realised at the time that this nickname arose because ex-streamlined locos once had a sloping top to the front of the smokebox, although by that time all had been fitted with cylindrical smokeboxes. The nickname however seemed to last until the end of their days!

AndrewE

Established Member
I guess that as GWR locos had class names they didn't need nicknames.
I think the best place to see the nicknames given by railwaymen is in the books written by footplatemen. Nine Elms Engineman" by A E "Bert" Hooker, pub. Bradford Barton ISBN 0 85153 454 6 was really good, but I don't remember nicknames in it, but I haven't got my copy at the moment to check.
I'm sure one pre-grouping loco class were called "Bongos" - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LNER_Thompson_Class_B1 says the first of the class was named Bongo.
There must be lots of others! See https://steamindex.com/locodesn/nicknames.htm etc

Harvester

Established Member
I'm sure one pre-grouping loco class were called "Bongos" - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LNER_Thompson_Class_B1 says the first of the class was named Bongo.
There must be lots of others! See https://steamindex.com/locodesn/nicknames.htm etc
The first loco of the B1 class was named Springbok. In the north east we just called them B1s, A3s were just A3s, V2s just V2s and Q6s just Q6s (no nicknames that I recall).

Some individual locos did have nicknames. MN 35003 Royal Mail was called Royal Snail by enthusiasts, then a couple of weeks before the end of Southern steam it was recorded doing 106mph, probably the highest recorded speed with steam on SR metals!

AndrewE

Established Member
The first loco of the B1 class was named Springbok. In the north east we just called them B1s, A3s were just A3s, V2s just V2s and Q6s just Q6s (no nicknames that I recall).
OK, so I didn't read it carefully enough:
Introduced in 1942, the first example, No. 8301, was named Springbok in honour of a visit by Jan Smuts. The first 40 of the class were named after breeds of antelopes and the like, and they became known as bongos after 8306 Bongo

Veteran Member
An early ABC listed nicknames. One of the less-than-wonderful LBSCR I-class Atlantic tank classes was labelled with a word more often associated with referees.

I imagine the devout Christian Cecil J Allen didn't know its meaning :)

beardedbrit

Example, the Aspinall 0-6-0 engines built by the Lancashire & Yorkshire railway:
One was nicknamed "Puffing Billy", and one "Thunderbird and Mallard" presumably as these were small old engines (by the mid 1950's) which worked the slow push and pull services. These engines were generally known as "Lanky's", maybe over in Yorkshire they were known as "Yorkies".

I'm amazed that no-one has mentioned "Streaks" yet (LNER class A4 Pacifics, for you young 'uns)

Calthrop

Established Member
An early ABC listed nicknames. One of the less-than-wonderful LBSCR I-class Atlantic tank classes was labelled with a word more often associated with referees.

I imagine the devout Christian Cecil J Allen didn't know its meaning :)

I'm not into sport (or LBSC tank classes) -- can imagine various words which might possibly fit that bill; but could you -- without contravening forum policy -- give some hint of the word concerned here?

(I am the reverse of a fan of the Christian gent mentioned above -- would, I'm afraid, readily apply a number of ugly epithets to him. What I read of and by him, has me seeing him as -- in all departments of life -- self-righteous, readier to censure than to cut anyone any slack, and terminally up-himself. He brings to mind for me, Gandhi's words to the approximate effect of "we would probably all be Christians, if it were not for the Christians".)

Richard Scott

Established Member
There is the point that nicknames used by enthusiasts may not be the same as those used by railwaymen, but because the former were more likely to put their name into print, this gets established as ‘the’ nickname. I once read an article that, with a certain amount of evidence, put forward the proposition that Jinty was originally an enthusiast’s (or enthusiasts’) nickname, possibly a corruption of jaunty. In that case it had spread widely and became the accepted name, even among some railwaymen, but in other cases the railwaymen’s name has been washed out of history by the enthusiasts’ name, which is then claimed to be the railwaymen’s name.
This was certainly true in diesel days too. 45s were known as Cromptons to railwaymen (particularly linked with Saltley depot, I believe) but say Crompton to most rail enthusiasts and they'll tell you it's a 33!

D6130

Established Member
45s were known as Cromptons to railwaymen (particularly linked with Saltley depot, I believe) but say Crompton to most rail enthusiasts and they'll tell you it's a 33!
Funnily enough - to the best of my knowledge - the Scottish class 26 locos were never called Cromptons....although I believe that the 27s were known to some Scottish railwaymen as 'GECs' in their early days.

Ashley Hill

Established Member
I'm sure one pre-grouping loco class were called "Bongos" -
The Southern seemed to have many nicknames for their locos. Some I remember were Black Motors,U Boats,Terriers,Greyhounds (T9) and Woolworths. I cannot remember what classes they were attributed to.

Rescars

The Southern seemed to have many nicknames for their locos. Some I remember were Black Motors,U Boats,Terriers,Greyhounds (T9) and Woolworths. I cannot remember what classes they were attributed to.
The A1 / A1X Terriers were also known as Rooters. The air-smoothed Bullied pacifics were known as Spam Cans.

The origin of some of these nicknames is less obvious than others.

Last edited:

Andy873

There is the point that nicknames used by enthusiasts may not be the same as those used by railwaymen, but because the former were more likely to put their name into print, this gets established as ‘the’ nickname.
A very good point and one I hadn't thought of. The names of individual engines I listed in the opening post were done by the railwaymen themselves. The engine nickname "Thunderbird and Mallard" was actually chalked on the engine itself and was said to be still visible in 1956 when it was withdrawn from service.

LMS 8Fs were Consuls, not after the Ford car but the Consolidation wheel arrangement.
I did wonder if 8F's were given nicknames, thanks for that.

Around here, WDs were known as Dubdees, derivation obvious, never heard them called Duggies. Perhaps it was a shortening of Dubdee?
Possibly, or a local variant of that.

I could imagine many individual steam locos being given nicknames as I've been told that many had their own little characters.

billh

One of the old 0-8-0 7F classes were called Austin 7s I can't remember if it was the LNWR/LMS G2s or the L&Y class, both types were getting thin on the ground when I was a nipper, 49508 was often seen pottering about near us on short engineer's trains.

Taunton

Established Member
GER J69 locos, on Liverpool Street suburban duties up to electrification, were known to all as "Gobblers", apparently after their coal consumption.

GWR Castle number 111 had been (sort-of) rebuilt from the 'Great Bear' 4-6-2, and although renamed Viscount Churchill, the GWR chairman, was generally still known as "the Big 'un".

D6130

Established Member
Some I remember were Black Motors,U Boats,Terriers,Greyhounds (T9) and Woolworths.
Black Motors - ex-LSWR class 700 0-6-0 freight locos.
U Boats - U class 2-6-0 mixed traffic locos.
Terriers - Ex-LBSCR class A1X 0-6-0 lightweight passenger tank locos.
Greyhounds - as you say, ex-LSWR class T9 4-4-0 passenger locos.
Woolworths - N class 2-6-0 mixed traffic locos....built at Woolwich Arsenal.

....to which I can add:

Coffee Pots or Charlies - class Q1 0-6-0 Austerity freight locos.
Paddleboxes - ex-LSWR class D14 4-4-0 passenger locos. (apparently their huge driving wheel splashers made them look like paddle steamers)
The Bug - Dugald Drummond's 2-2-0 self-propelled inspection saloon.
Nelsons - either Lord Nelson class 4-6-0 express passenger locos or 4-COR/BUF/RES express EMUs. (Their single windscreen gave them a 'one-eyed' appearance).
Shebas - the original very high density all-steel wartime 4-SUB units (4101-10). 'The Queen of Sheba had a very great train' (Biblical quotation).
Marys - the later all-steel 4-SUB units without domed fronts (4111 onwards). Does anyone on here know why they were thus nicknamed?
One of the old 0-8-0 7F classes were called Austin 7s I can't remember if it was the LNWR/LMS G2s or the L&Y class,
IIRC, it was the LMS-built - but obviously Midland Derby-designed - 7F class, which was developed from the LNWR G2X class, with a larger boiler.

Also the LMS Ivatt-designed lightweight 2-6-0 tender locos and 2-6-2 tank locos - and their BR Riddles derivatives - known as 'Mickey Mouse'.

D6130

Established Member
Ironclads - small ex-Lancashire & Yorkshire 0-6-0 freight locos....as in 957/52044 on the Keighley & Worth Valley Railway.

Highflyers - Lancashire & Yorkshire Aspinall Atlantic 4-4-2 express passenger locos....because of their large driving wheels and high-pitched boilers.

Spinners - Johnson's Midland Railway 4-2-2 single driving wheel express passenger locos.

Cauliflowers - Webb's London & North Western Railway 0-6-0 freight locomotives.

Veteran Member
I'm not into sport (or LBSC tank classes) -- can imagine various words which might possibly fit that bill; but could you -- without contravening forum policy -- give some hint of the word concerned here?
It rhymes with banker :)

Status
Not open for further replies.