• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Nicola Sturgeon to resign as First Minister of Scotland, Humza Yousaf elected as new First Minister.

Status
Not open for further replies.

duncanp

Established Member
I really hope this helps to push thoughts of Scottish independence as far into the future as possible.

I think it will put more moderate voters off the SNP, and as such they are likely to vote Conservative, Labour or Liberal Democrat.

The percentage of votes received by unionist and independence supporting parties at next years UK general election will be worth looking out for, and similiarly in the next Scottish parliament election.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
When did the Sturgeons turn into Fred and Rose West?

Do people in these situations (and from this social class) usually bury incriminating evidence in the back garden?
It’s not clear what all that’s about or even if the sources are accurate. But it could be hidden documentation. The police work in mysterious ways too and I don’t believe there’s *no* “showiness” to how the investigation is being conducted.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
As a reminder, as there are active proceedings taking place members should take care to exercise caution in their statements about situation with Mr Murrell. The Forum Staff would quite like to avoid any contempt of court proceedings if at all possible thank you ;)

Purple Train

Established Member
Mr Murrell has been released without charge pending further investigation:

Former SNP chief executive Peter Murrell has been released without charge by the police, pending further investigation into party finances.
Mr Murrell, 58, the husband of former first minister Nicola Sturgeon was arrested on Wednesday morning.
He was questioned while police searched their Glasgow home and SNP headquarters as part of their investigation.
Ms Sturgeon said she had "no prior knowledge" of Police Scotland's plans. The force said inquiries were ongoing.
In a statement, Police Scotland said Mr Murrell was arrested at 07:45 and released shortly before 19:00.
"Officers also carried out searches today at a number of addresses as part of the investigation," it added.
"A report will be sent to the Crown Office and Procurator Fiscal Service."

duncanp

Established Member

d9009alycidon

Trouble for the SNP is that although he and anyone else are of course innocent until proven guilty, the image of a well run, well disciplined organisation is being badly tarnished in the eyes of the electorate. Many will assume that there is no smoke without fire and make their own judgement.

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
I really hope this helps to push thoughts of Scottish independence as far into the future as possible.
Why would it? The issue of Scottish independence is completely separate and supporters of the cause aren't necessarily going to change their minds simply because of one bad apple in the party.

Runningaround

Trouble for the SNP is that although he and anyone else are of course innocent until proven guilty, the image of a well run, well disciplined organisation is being badly tarnished in the eyes of the electorate. Many will assume that there is no smoke without fire and make their own judgement.
Are The Scottish electorate less forgiving than the English one then? The Torys have always had a big vote down South regardless of what it's members get up to.

Falcon1200

Established Member
The issue of Scottish independence is completely separate and supporters of the cause aren't necessarily going to change their minds simply because of one bad apple in the party.

Maybe not, but the SNP is by far the major party dedicated to Scottish Independence and its recent travails are not going to assist in any way its campaigning or desire to highlight the perceived faults of the Westminster administration.

duncanp

Established Member
The Matt cartoon in The Telegraph is to the point, as always :D :D

The caption reads "..Nicola Sturgeon said Westminster is to blame, but she hasn't worked out how.."

Matt Cartoon - April 6th 2023.jpg

Last edited:

WatcherZero

Established Member
Ouch, just come out that not only had the SNP's auditors Johnston Carmichael resigned, they did it six months ago and weren't replaced, nor was there any regulatory announcement/filing!

Falcon1200

Established Member
Ouch, just come out that not only had the SNP's auditors Johnston Carmichael resigned, they did it six months ago and weren't replaced, nor was there any regulatory announcement/filing!

I'm not the slightest bit surprised. The true nature of the Sturgeon/Murrell legacy is slowly being revealed, despite the SNP's best efforts.

duncanp

Established Member
I'm not the slightest bit surprised. The true nature of the Sturgeon/Murrell legacy is slowly being revealed, despite the SNP's best efforts.

And of course this had nothing whatsoever to do with Nicola Sturgeon's resignation, as was the fact that the party chairman at the time the auditors resigned was, er, Nicola Sturgeon's husband.

Auditors resigning is bad enough, but concealing the fact for six months suggests that there is something to hide.

Six months ago was about the time that Liz Truss was forced to resign.

I bet Mrs Murrell was glad that the goings on in the Conservative party allowed her to bury bad news and deflect all the brown stuff from travelling in the direction of the fan.

Broucek

Acccording to an article in the Times (non-paywall link below) this "was hidden" from the SNP's National Executive and Yousaf didn't know either...

Last edited:

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
It's digging up the garden that seems completely inexplicable. Seems like the sort of thing that you only see when they're investigating murder cases (to be clear I don't think anyone has actually been murdered and buried in the garden)! So what on earth do the police think they might find in that garden?!

JamesT

Established Member
It's digging up the garden that seems completely inexplicable. Seems like the sort of thing that you only see when they're investigating murder cases (to be clear I don't think anyone has actually been murdered and buried in the garden)! So what on earth do the police think they might find in that garden?!
Apparently that’s fake news - https://theferret.scot/nicola-sturgeons-garden-police-officers-claim-false/
The police moved the shovels out of the shed whilst they searched in there, but people saw them with shovels and put two and two together.

Cloud Strife

Established Member
Acccording to an article in the Times (non-paywall link below) this "was hidden" from the SNP's National Executive and Yousaf didn't know either...

I've just spoken to a very well placed friend in the SNP who said straight out that this was not known to the NEC, and that Murrell appears to have gone renegade at some point.

XAM2175

Established Member
I bet Mrs Murrell was glad that the goings on in the Conservative party allowed her to bury bad news and deflect all the brown stuff from travelling in the direction of the fan.
Women don't get to chose the name they use after marriage in your world?

Noddy

To me it seems absolutely unbelievable that Murrell hasn’t been suspended from the party. I totally accept that he’s innocent until proven guilty but that hasn’t stopped the SNP suspending people in the past and shouldn’t now. It’s not like what he’s been accused of is making an incredibly stupid one off mistake but rather what appears to be sustained behaviour(s), possibly of a criminal nature, over a period of time.

duncanp

Established Member
To me it seems absolutely unbelievable that Murrell hasn’t been suspended from the party. I totally accept that he’s innocent until proven guilty but that hasn’t stopped the SNP suspending people in the past and shouldn’t now. It’s not like what he’s been accused of is making an incredibly stupid one off mistake but rather what appears to be sustained behaviour(s), possibly of a criminal nature, over a period of time.

...and if Mr Murrell's wife claims that she knew nothing about his behaviour, it would stretch her credibility to beyond breaking point.

oldman

I've just spoken to a very well placed friend in the SNP who said straight out that this was not known to the NEC, and that Murrell appears to have gone renegade at some point.
This has been going on a while. The SNP's national treasurer, elected in 2020, resigned in 2021 stating:
'Despite having a resounding mandate from members to introduce more transparency into the party’s finances, I have not received the support or financial information to carry out the fiduciary duties of National Treasurer.' (The Herald)
Back came the old national treasurer, in office since 2004.

And another NEC member resigned saying:
I’ve resigned from the NEC of the SNP. A number of factors have prevented me from fulfilling the mandate party members gave me to improve transparency and scrutiny and to uphold the party’s constitution (The National)
What did the rest of the NEC do these last two years? Followed the Dear Leader and didn't rock the boat.

duncanp

Established Member
Good to see that the NHS in Scotland is getting its priorities right though.

Bonkers’: Male blood donor turned away for refusing to say if he was pregnant​

Steffen McAndrew hits out at ‘political correctness gone mad’ in question he believes is designed to ‘placate the gender-brigade’

A male GP has been prevented from donating blood to the Scottish NHS after he refused to confirm whether or not he was pregnant.

Steffen McAndrew, who works in Prestwick, South Ayrshire, said he had been turned away from a blood donation centre in nearby Ayr after he refused to answer a “bonkers” question about if he was carrying a baby.

The Scottish National Blood Transfusion Service (SNBTS) claimed that the question had been introduced a year ago for “donor safety”, with everyone expected to confirm whether they are pregnant or had been recently, regardless of their sex.

The service said that it was updating the wording on its form, following a backlash, but still plans to have male donors respond to a question about whether they are with child.

Dr McAndrew said that he had been a regular blood donor before the pandemic, but booked a new appointment to donate at Belmont Academy on Tuesday for the first time since Covid struck.

However, a nurse told him that he would be unable to go ahead with the donation after he declined to answer the question about whether he was due to give birth, which he suspected was included for men to “placate and pacify the gender-brigade”.

Some trans activists insist it is possible for men to become pregnant, as they believe transgender men, who are biologically female, are literally men.

‘To say it is bonkers is an understatement’​

However, Dr McAndrew said that he was a man and “therefore I cannot be pregnant”.

Dr McAndrew told The Herald: “I can't believe they would refuse a donation from a man based on the fact I refused to say if I was pregnant.

“I can also understand those who have suggested, 'just tick the box', to enable a donation. However it is the principle of the matter.

“To say it is bonkers is an understatement. I have a nagging feeling that it is political correctness gone too far, trying to placate and pacify the gender-brigade.

“I am hugely supportive of the Blood Transfusion Service. They are vital to the day to day operation of the NHS. But I really think they are shooting themselves in the foot with this.

“It's a fundamental problem in the NHS (and society) that common sense has been lost, obliterated.”

The Telegraph revealed last year that an internal report for NHS Scotland had called for “a general move away from gendered healthcare” to appease trans patients.

It was warned that branding services as being offered at, for example, a women’s health clinic could mean trans patients would not attend.

However, experts have raised fears that moves towards what trans activists see as “inclusive language” in the health service are dehumanising and potentially dangerous, for example by confusing those who do not speak good English.

The Scottish NHS has previously been criticised for omitting references to women from public health campaigns and instead using terms such as “people who menstruate”.

‘This question is asked for donor safety’​

Following a backlash, the SNBTS said it planned to change the wording on its form, where the pregnancy question is classed as mandatory.

This would see potential blood donors told to tick no to the pregnancy question if it is "not applicable”.

A spokesman for the SNBTS said: “Since April 2022, SNBTS asks all donors to complete the following question on the donor health check 'Are you pregnant, or have you been pregnant in the last six months?'.

“This question is asked for donor safety. Giving blood may be harmful for individuals who are pregnant, or who have been pregnant recently.

“We appreciate that for many donors (including some female donors such as post menopausal donors) this question will not be relevant.

“Following donor feedback, we are planning to update the wording of the question to 'Are you pregnant, or have you been pregnant in the last six months? (If not applicable, please tick no)'.

“This is likely to be implemented at the next donor health check update due in Summer 2023.”

takno

Established Member
Good to see that the NHS in Scotland is getting its priorities right though.

That seems like a slightly odd story about somebody getting their dander up about absolutely nothing, and NHS Scotland's proposed alteration seems like an entirely reasonable proposal. I understand there are wider changes which could arguably be better addressed by getting people to accept that they just an unusual case and should expect to interact with health services in a different way as a result, but this really isn't a particularly good example of it.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
That seems like a slightly odd story about somebody getting their dander up about absolutely nothing, and NHS Scotland's proposed alteration seems like an entirely reasonable proposal. I understand there are wider changes which could arguably be better addressed by getting people to accept that they just an unusual case and should expect to interact with health services in a different way as a result, but this really isn't a particularly good example of it.
Yes, a slightly strange hill to want to die on. As a blood donor I'd have just answered "No" and moved on with life (and closer to the biscuits).

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Yes, a slightly strange hill to want to die on. As a blood donor I'd have just answered "No" and moved on with life (and closer to the biscuits).

I think plenty of people would have answered something like "that's a bit of a ridiculous question, but no, obviously I'm not, it's just a beer belly" or something like that.

Though it is possible for a female to male trans person to look for all the world like a man but still carry a child, so it probably isn't that stupid a question unless they previously asked whether the person was born male.

Broucek

A silly response to a silly question.... I'm rather fed up with how polarised public discourse is in our times.

(I use "public" advisedly as the news media tends to pick extreme rather than balanced voices - "impact rather than insight" as an old-hand journo put it to me rather whistfully.)

duncanp

Established Member
A silly response to a silly question.... I'm rather fed up with how polarised public discourse is in our times.

(I use "public" advisedly as the news media tends to pick extreme rather than balanced voices - "impact rather than insight" as an old-hand journo put it to me rather whistfully.)

The silly response is not the way the man answered the question, but the fact that the Blood Transfusion Service refused his donation because of it.

I agree with the doctor in the article that it is political correctness gone mad.

WelshBluebird

Established Member
The silly response is not the way the man answered the question,
It absolutely is the silly response.
If you aren't pregnant, either because you are male and so can't get pregnant, or are female and aren't pregnant, then the answer to the question of "are you pregnant" is "no". Absolutely zero need to make a mountain out of that molehill.

Status
Not open for further replies.