• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Night Riviera - configuration

Status
Not open for further replies.

fgwrich

Established Member
Anyone had a slack coupling connection on the Riviera?

I certainly have, 57603 attached at Long Rock appeared to have had the screw done up a couple of rounds almost as a 'ah that'll do' job.

So pulling away from each station resulted in a heavy 'snatch' as the coupling from the loco to the lead coach was so slack it was ridiculous. I was in the seated coach at the back and couldn't really sleep as I kept waking up everytime we slowed down, picked up speed or pulled from a stop, how the heck anyone slept in the beds I don't know.

Best part was they decided to screw it up tight at Reading...:roll:

Jesus, That's bad. :roll:

I've often wondered actually if those couplings can work a little lose - certainly every time I've had 603 it's started it's journey fine, but by Truro it seems to be wanting to revert back to it's ex Freightliner Class 47 days and the 'snatching' really starts to bite, giving you the Freightliner treatment.

Failing that, it could be that 603's always been a bad one? It's certainly played up every time I've been behind it!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
That kind of thunk-rattle-rattle-rattle was usual on just about every West Coast 87+Mk3 set - don't think it was loose couplings, it was just the loco starting off a bit quick.

co-tr-paul

Despite training, there are a few drivers out there who think they are still driving a fixed unit. Driving loco + stock requires different techniques in pulling away and slowing down. A skill almost lost as units took over. I know for a fact if our PZ drivers took it out with customers aboard, there would be many comp!aunts; luckily they are only confined to ecs !

jonostan

Anyone had a slack coupling connection on the Riviera?

I certainly have, 57603 attached at Long Rock appeared to have had the screw done up a couple of rounds almost as a 'ah that'll do' job.

So pulling away from each station resulted in a heavy 'snatch' as the coupling from the loco to the lead coach was so slack it was ridiculous. I was in the seated coach at the back and couldn't really sleep as I kept waking up everytime we slowed down, picked up speed or pulled from a stop, how the heck anyone slept in the beds I don't know.

Best part was they decided to screw it up tight at Reading...:roll:

I was wondering what that big jolt was each time we moved out of a station (going westwards)! That must have been the issue here, as well - I slept fine but noticed it each time in the morning...

455driver

Veteran Member
Despite training, there are a few drivers out there who think they are still driving a fixed unit. Driving loco + stock requires different techniques in pulling away and slowing down. A skill almost lost as units took over. I know for a fact if our PZ drivers took it out with customers aboard, there would be many comp!aunts; luckily they are only confined to ecs !

Who drivers the summer veg express then?

Perhaps you could allude us to the different techniques required for a 57 compared to a 2+8 HST?

heart-of-wessex

Established Member
Jesus, That's bad. :roll:

I've often wondered actually if those couplings can work a little lose - certainly every time I've had 603 it's started it's journey fine, but by Truro it seems to be wanting to revert back to it's ex Freightliner Class 47 days and the 'snatching' really starts to bite, giving you the Freightliner treatment.

Failing that, it could be that 603's always been a bad one? It's certainly played up every time I've been behind it!

Only time I had 603 as it was required then and did it end to end. It was like that right from the start at Penzance which made me wonder if it wasn't done up properly. I was more surprised that it was left right up until Reading, I got out for a leg stretch and a few minutes later I saw someone with high viz overalls and a cap jump down and tighten it up. It was alright after that, but with 30 odd miles to go I doubt it would have made a difference, managed to suffer with it for the past 200+ miles!

Never been on the service since so just wondered if it was the same.

Mk3 seated coaches were a god send though, I could never sleep on those Mk2's with their loud brakes, same with the Cally sleeper

heart-of-wessex

Established Member

Or on railtours with a 66, drives it like a freight train then your beer goes everywhere :lol:

AY1975

Established Member
Has anyone seen the video clip of the refurbished Night Riviera sleeping car on the GWR website at www.gwr.com/plan-journey/journey-information/on-board/night-riviera-sleeper or had occasion to travel in a refurbished sleeper coach? I understand that at least one coach (10596) has so far been done.

The video clip would appear to suggest that the pillows in this car are now at the side of the coach nearest the window, rather than at the side nearest the corridor, and that new reading lamps have been installed at the window side of the coach (though I don’t know whether these are as well as or instead of the existing berth lights by the door, as the website says the refurbished coaches will offer “a choice of lighting”).

Never having travelled on a refurbished coach myself, I don’t know what difference sleeping the other way round (with your head close to the window rather than the corridor) would make, although I suppose it means you are closer to any noises from outside such as passing trains than you were with your head on the corridor side. Another potential disadvantage might be that the Sleeper Host will have to come further into each compartment to give the passengers their morning teas and coffees than when their heads were right by the door.

I guess there is nothing to stop you sleeping the wrong way round if you prefer (i.e. with your head at the window end of the bed in an unrefurbished coach or at the corridor end in a refurbished coach), but it does mean having to switch the berth light on and off with your foot!

co-tr-paul

As discussed on Night Riviera thread in the Traction section...... .
A lot of things amiss with the refurb plan as a whole, basically the (now ex) staff in charge did not listen to customers or staff recommendations and its cost a lot of money, time and effort just to get it into service. Still things to sort out too. My personal view has already been made..... !!!

Shaggy

99% sure PZDs can work the Sleeper to Exeter and back if required (although not booked). Indeed, who often worked the Loco Hauled services in the past couple of summers? Pretty sure Penzance drivers weren't restricted.

irish_rail

Established Member
Who drivers the summer veg express then?

Perhaps you could allude us to the different techniques required for a 57 compared to a 2+8 HST?

Completley different. Far more difficult to pull away / stop smoothly with a 57 and stock compared to a (good) HST. Especially pulling away is an art to avoid a snatch. Job made even harder when a dead engine on the back, at which point snatching whilst pulling away becomes inevitable....
Brakes also take longer to do anything compared with a HST, and once they are released it is hell of a job to get them back in again when half way down a platform!

Ive always found 603 to be one of the better 57s from a driving point of view, brakes usually work quite well , compared to say, 604.

PZ men only do the ECS and occasionlly fill in for Exeter or Plymouth men on the passenger service, but as far as I know all the PZ men have 57 knowledge. There are quite a few drivers new to 57s at both Plymouth and Exeter so you may have experinced a poorer quality ride on occasions owing to this, plus the fact us at Plymouth only drive the thing roughly once a month which isnt really enough!

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
Can someone tell me the difference between an a carriage and b carriage please - and the new seats is that the seated sleeper or the lounge?

co-tr-paul

A is the brake coach, B is the open standard, now internally refurbished. C is the buffet. A and C currently all still with old 2+1 hst first class style seating.

83G/84D

Established Member
Completley different. Far more difficult to pull away / stop smoothly with a 57 and stock compared to a (good) HST. Especially pulling away is an art to avoid a snatch. Job made even harder when a dead engine on the back, at which point snatching whilst pulling away becomes inevitable....
Brakes also take longer to do anything compared with a HST, and once they are released it is hell of a job to get them back in again when half way down a platform!

Ive always found 603 to be one of the better 57s from a driving point of view, brakes usually work quite well , compared to say, 604.

PZ men only do the ECS and occasionlly fill in for Exeter or Plymouth men on the passenger service, but as far as I know all the PZ men have 57 knowledge. There are quite a few drivers new to 57s at both Plymouth and Exeter so you may have experinced a poorer quality ride on occasions owing to this, plus the fact us at Plymouth only drive the thing roughly once a month which isnt really enough!

Sometimes the pilot has to drag the sleeper stock in or out of Penzance station because the shed driver doesn't sign 57's. I recall in previous summers that the daytime loco hauled was scrubbed on several occasions for the same reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.