• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Night time photography

Status
Not open for further replies.

jp4712

I have always been a bit of a night photography hound, you can get so much atmosphere. Take a look at a few of mine at http://www.railphotoarchive.org/album_viewer.php?aid=730&tpp= .

There has been some good advice here; a tripod is an absolute must, small ones are perfectly serviceable and very cheap. Compact DSLR or whatever, you simply can't keep the camera steady enough in your hand at any exposure slower than1/15th second to get a sharp photo.

If you have a compact camera, there's a good chance that you can't control the ISO. It may have a 'night' mode, but be very cautious in using it: it may reduce the yellow tone, but it may actually INCREASE the ISO in order to get more light into the camera; so leading to the problems of grain and 'noise' referred to earlier. If this is so, play around with the settings to see what comes out best.

Unless you're a pretty advanced night phottist, DON'T use flash. It over-lights the foreground, very harshly, and therefore the rest of the shot disappears into inkyness. This shot DID use flash, but it was five flashguns fired remotely! http://railphotoarchive.org/rpc_zoom.php?img=1174020442000

If your compact has a 'manual exposure' setting, make it the longest that it will accept - on many of my shots in the link above, the exposure was 30 seconds or more.

You don't necessarily need a remote shutter release when you're a beginner - Compact cameras rarely accept them anyway. What you can do is to use the 'delay' setting, the one that people use when they put the camera on a wall to photograph themselves. Doing this means (I'm assuming that you've invested in a tripod) that when the shutter opens, the camera is perfectly still. Pressing the button on the camera to start the exposure, even pressing it as lightly as you can, inevitably moves the camera slightly and spoiling the shot.

If you can, get Photoshop or at least Photoshop Elements. This will enable you to do post-processing, which can make a huge difference. You can eliminate the yellow cast you get from sodium lamps; you can correct parts of teh shot that were under- or over-exposed. It's not hard, I taught myself.

Lastly, experiment. You'll make a Horlicks of most shots, but in the digital age that doesn't matter; just delete it and so another one.

Oh, one more 'lastly'! Every time I go on a station in the evening to take photos, I go to the Station Manager's office to tell them I'm there, assure them that the photos are for non-commercial use etc. But the station staff are very suspicious of tripods as they could be a trip hazard on the platform at night, so be very careful to make sure that you keep your tripod away from busy areas. And never, but never, photograph a train that is being driven using flash because it temporarily affects the driver's night vision.

Hope that helps

Paul

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

neilscott

I've done a lot at night around Worcester, it's here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/neilscottuk/sets/72157626810810217/

My advice to anyone who wants to take up night photography is to have a go but be prepared to put in a lot of effort. Some shots will take several goes and you need to able to think creatively to get the best out of the light, and in particularly the movement of light and how you can use that in photography.

A tripod, shutter release cable and disabling your autofocus are important as is using as low a ISO as possible - I use 100 ISO for all my shots.

There's plenty of opportunity at night if you're willing to try and be a bit daring.

Last edited:

neilscott

Very good those! Out of interest, how were you able to get into the box to take pics?

I'm a signalman in Worcester so took some in my own box and at others before/after shifts with permission of my colleagues.

Established Member
I'm a signalman in Worcester so took some in my own box and at others before/after shifts with permission of my colleagues.

Nice, always good to see what goes on (and also have a historical record as well).

anthony263

Established Member
Some good photos there.

I did do a bit of night photography at Bristol TM/Parkway and Newport yesterday evening so I will post 1 or 2 here later when I find the USB lead for my camera and download them.

Edit:

Found the usb lead.

Here a few I took yesterday in Bristol and at Newport, I know the quality is not great and could be a lot better but my camera decided not to play ball yesterday.

Attachments

• DSCF0600.jpg
    DSCF0600.jpg
    179.1 KB · Views: 8
  • DSCF0630.jpg
    DSCF0630.jpg
    153.1 KB · Views: 9
  • DSCF0618.jpg
    DSCF0618.jpg
    139.4 KB · Views: 6
  • DSCF0629.jpg
    DSCF0629.jpg