• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

No trains calling at Bath Spa today

Status
Not open for further replies.

jazzy

With today's (Thursday 7th December) strike, I believe there's a hourly service between Paddington and Bristol Temple Meads but apparently these trains are scheduled to pass through Bath Spa without stopping. Does anyone know why?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

hexagon789

Veteran Member
With today's (Thursday 7th December) strike, I believe there's a hourly service between Paddington and Bristol Temple Meads but apparently these trains are scheduled to pass through Bath Spa without stopping. Does anyone know why?
Lack of dispatch/station staff perhaps?

JonathanH

Veteran Member
Lack of dispatch/station staff perhaps?
Why? They aren't on strike.

May just be to manage demand for the limited service. Does seem odd to call Reading, Didcot, Swindon, Chippenham, Bristol though.

I imagine a few people may try Chippenham or Bristol and go by bus to Bath, but it will be enough to put others off.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Why? They aren't on strike.
I know that but GWR said there were no calls at Bath Spa due to lack of staff due caused by industrial action - so either that's an exaggeration or two different issues being incorrectly conflated with each other and then given as the reason.

WelshBluebird

Established Member
I imagine a few people may try Chippenham or Bristol and go by bus to Bath, but it will be enough to put others off.
Having experienced the X39 bus between Bristol and Bath on a strike day in the past, it would very much put me off!

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I suspect GWR do not want the extremely limited services today overcrowded with leisure travellers going to the Bath Christmas markets. Whether that is right or wrong I will leave others to decide.

HST43257

Established Member
I suspect GWR do not want the extremely limited services today overcrowded with leisure travellers going to the Bath Christmas markets. Whether that is right or wrong I will leave others to decide.
I’ve never understood this type of thing. Why do TOCs not want to take passengers over long distances if there’s a lot of them for a specific event?

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
When there's not room for them in the trains.

Isn't it more the case that this would be short distance traffic blocking up the trains, i.e. Bristol<->Bath? I doubt many go from London to Bath for that, there are plenty of closer Christmas markets and they are all a bit samey.

1Q18

Isn't it more the case that this would be short distance traffic blocking up the trains, i.e. Bristol<->Bath? I doubt many go from London to Bath for that, there are plenty of closer Christmas markets and they are all a bit samey.
That could have been dealt with by having the Bath Spa stop set as pick up only in the up direction, and set down only on the down.

JonathanH

Veteran Member
Enforcing that would be a nightmare ....
Easier at Bath than at some other stations. With only London trains running, you could block off access to the down platform from the front of the station, and only allow people to exit from the down platform via the rear entrance, with the barriers set to exit only.

Not sure what you do about passengers trying to get off an up service.

However, all a bit speculative, as the issue has been dealt with by just not stopping.

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
That could have been dealt with by having the Bath Spa stop set as pick up only in the up direction, and set down only on the down.

Except that a lot of the Bath Christmas market traffic comes from Swindon, Chippenham and sometimes as far away as Reading.

Benjwri

Established Member
It would be a nightmare, the Christmas Market traffic is huge, and you can guarantee there would be lots willing to chance it and turn up anyways. I can confirm there are many, many people willing to travel from far away, and the station is far busier than it is normally in both directions during the markets.

Wilts Wanderer

Established Member
When you’ve seen the crowds you get on Christmas market days, the thought of trying to somehow accommodate them in a safe manner on the limited train service today is not something to contemplate.

Grecian 1998

The options do seem to be: 1. Stop at Bath and have a complete free for all with large numbers of people unable to board throughout the day, many of whom do not take kindly to this and some of whom end up stranded at the end of the day; or 2. Don't stop there so the passengers you do have can actually board.

Neither great but the first option does seem to make more sense.

During the frequent Southern staff strikes some years ago over the mode of operation, IIRC Brighton - Bristol and beyond services were non-stop between Havant and Brighton when there were no other trains for this very reason. It would be a tad annoying to travel from Bristol or Bath to Brighton for the day and discover you couldn't get back because hordes of people going to Worthing and Shoreham had filled the last train.

Veteran Member
The options do seem to be: 1. Stop at Bath and have a complete free for all with large numbers of people unable to board throughout the day, many of whom do not take kindly to this and some of whom end up stranded at the end of the day; or 2. Don't stop there so the passengers you do have can actually board.

Neither great but the first option does seem to make more sense.
Second, surely, on the basis of the next para.? For "board" read "travel" though :)
During the frequent Southern staff strikes some years ago over the mode of operation, IIRC Brighton - Bristol and beyond services were non-stop between Havant and Brighton when there were no other trains for this very reason. It would be a tad annoying to travel from Bristol or Bath to Brighton for the day and discover you couldn't get back because hordes of people going to Worthing and Shoreham had filled the last train.

Status
Not open for further replies.