• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Noddy's Trip Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.

noddy1878

Established Member
I always enjoy reading other people's trip reports so I've decided for my latest trip I would do my own. Each year me and my dad will go away for a few days and this time we decided to go to Scotland. Before I start here's a brief background on my return to the hobby.

When I was younger my dad and his mate used to take me and my mate out but as we got older the hobby fell by the wayside (as it does). I got back into it just over four years ago, and how things had changed. Pretty much every single unit on the network was new so it was literally like starting over. In many ways it's been easier as I'm old enough to do what I want (when the missus lets me! :lol:) and my dad has rejoined me in the hobby (but not to the same extent).

So the plan was simple. Two things. Route scratching and unit scratching (and locos if it allows) in Scotland. We decided on a Freedom of Scotland because as it says, it gives freedom! I chucked a rough plan together that will involve Oban and Wick! Also involved the Caledonian Sleeper from Aberdeen so I will have done all three legs over the course of four years.

In the early stages of planning I also realised we would be in London at the weekend of the UK Rail Tours 'Doctor Hoo' charter. As my dad has yet to experience the 'Delights' of 66 haulage we chucked that into the plan too.

Just before I started the trip I set my self little targets. No idea if I'd reach them but before I left I required 1184 units/locos in regular passenger service. For Scot Rail it's 184 and East Coast 18. My targets by day are

Saturday 10
Sunday 20
Monday 20
Tuesday 18
Wednesday 3
Thursday 15

So that was the basis of what we'd do. I will try and write it up as quick as I can but I've just got back and have stuff to sort out.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Can I call this day 1? By the time we start its nearly the 8th! Anyway our trip starts on the Riviera Sleeper from Plymouth to London. My parents came up from Truro earlier and we all went for an Indian before me and my dad headed to the station. My mum would be staying with my wife for the remainder of the weekend. Upon arrival at Plymouth we saw Colas 66 847 trundle through with an engineers train for Probus. Dud for sight. 57603 eventually turned up a few minutes late (and in those few minutes someone came up and asked whether the train was going to Totnes. I said yes and she proceeded to talk to us till the train got there! Not sure she was all there to be honest!). Once on the train we headed to the buffet for a drink and biscuits. It was then to the cabin for bed and try and get some kip (well with the little time we would have). Just for the record we went via Bristol Parkway to London Paddington.
Day 2 - 8th November
So we arrived into Paddington on time at 0509. We'd asked for breakfast on the train but it's never enough so we grabbed something from McDonalds. It was then off to buy a travel card. Being the weekend my railcard was valid. Or was it? My dad got his with his senior and when I went to get mine it didn't give me the option with Network Railcard. I asked someone and they said it stopped in January. Really? I popped back up to the concourse and used a machine up there and it gave me option and I got my ticket for he bargain price of £5.90! If we'd been using it all day phenomenal value I reckon. Still happy with that even though I'd use it for a fraction of the day.

The tour was starting at Clapham so it made sense to stick around there. With that in mind it was off to Victoria. Good start too. Winning S class 21421/422. At Victoria I hunted down a required unit and found 377106 and caught that to Clapham. It was then 377705 to Imperial Wharf. Good start. Missed 377701 by seconds so a dud 378 back to Clapham. Things went down hill now. Nothing I needed was rolling in and eventually I had to bite the bullet and head to Waterloo. Wanted to get lunch for the tour which we did and then back to Clapham.

The tour was sold out and the platform very busy. The train was also running late so when it did arrive there were no photos and it was straight on the train. The last two coaches were not even on the platform which made it leave even later. Mind you we had so much time later in the day it wasn't an issue. So 66030 led us away and we headed to Grain. Passing Hoo junction produced two winning GBRF 66s for sight (basically all the new ones I need). With no major issues and we made up all our lost time. It was then back into London and onto Angerstein Wharf behind second winning 66, 66151. Again no issues (but painfully slow). Then for the last leg of the tour. This time we headed out of London and into Kent via Lee Spur after doubling back on ourselves. Finally we got a good run and we arrived into Ashford on time. I forgot what a horrible station this was. No decent photos. Then after a half hour leg stretch it was onto the Marshlink line and onto Dungeness! New route for me (all the freight route in the tour was!) and this is when all the timekeeping fell apart! Sheep on the line!!! This meant we got to the end of the line just after the time we should have left! And guess what? We met the same sheep on the way back. At one point we were 37 late going back but we got back 30 late in the end.

By now we were hungry. So we went to Brockley where there was a Wetherspoons I hadn't been too (something else a mate got me into!). After dinner and a pint it was back onto the trains and to London Bridge. So far (excluding the 66s) I'd had two winners! Not good! After we got back to London Bridge it started falling into place. Several trips from LBG - WAE or CHX in the end got me another 10 winning units! Target beaten! I was knackered and was time to head to Travelodge bear Kings Cross for the night. The one thing that's not helping me is I've hurt my back and am on medication at the moment which makes me sleepy! Our train to Edinburgh wasn't until 0845 in the morning so that was good. Back at the hotel we started watching MOTD but I couldn't stay awake and gave in! Sleep!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Kite159

Veteran Member
The little shops at Ashford station were making quite a good trade when the tour showed up, even the little one on 5/6.

It was a good day weather-wise for the Doctor Hoo, didn't start raining until heading back from Dungerness, which case didn't matter so much as it was dark.

noddy1878

Established Member
The little shops at Ashford station were making quite a good trade when the tour showed up, even the little one on 5/6.

It was a good day weather-wise for the Doctor Hoo, didn't start raining until heading back from Dungerness, which case didn't matter so much as it was dark.

It was busy. I went to get a photo from the adjacent platform and then realised the international platforms were in-between. Gave up with that idea and then grabbed a drink from the far platform where it was slightly quieter.

Kite159

Veteran Member
The extremely underused international platforms.

I bet the area outside the station would have been busy with smokers having a quick cigarette before having to get back on board

noddy1878

Established Member
Day 3 - 9th November
After a great nights sleep (really needed it!) we got up, got ready and headed to Kings Cross. Upon arrival we got the tickets and then went and got a photo of the Sky branded DVT.

20141109-Kings Cross-82216 by The Guinness King, on Flickr

Our train was already announced so we headed for that platform. We were in the nearest coach! Typical! So we trekked down for the loco on the front (winning 91122) and then back. I spotted what would be a winning 43308 in platform 0. Needed to see if I could get that later if it was heading further north than me! On the train we enjoyed the first class ride and complimentary snacks and drinks. Passing Peterborough netted me two more GBRF 66s (doing well with the new ones!). Nothing of note passing Doncaster but finally saw a class 68 stabled at York. That was pretty much it until Edinburgh for anything I needed! Well except I 67025 was at Newcastle (was hoping the 91 would fail and be required to drag us North!) and ten arriving into Edinburgh I spotted 67021 (another of my last four 67s).

Once at Edinburgh the Rovers came out. We couldn't go to far as I wanted to get 43308 which should have been an hour or so behind. So a trip to Haymarket on winning 170426. Then we headed to Inverkeithing on winning 158731. It was then back to Edinburgh Haymarket with 170420, another winner. One more train before being back at Edinburgh Waverley and we waited for the East HST heading south. The front was a dud 43311. The rear was 43305! I'll take that thank you! I know some people only claim the front but the train uses both power cars to move the train! So with one in the bag we rolled into Waverley and there it was, 43308 waiting to go north! Brilliant! Two power cars in minutes! It was rammed mind you and no seats. Was going to go further than Haymarket but that put us off and we bailed.

20141109-Haymarket-43308 by The Guinness King, on Flickr

Straight away a winning 158733 rolled in with 734! Back to Edinburgh then and finally we decided to head west to Glasgow. A good little spell at Edinburgh nevertheless. 334029 was a winner as we headed down the Bathgate route. It's slow because of the stops so to break it up we stopped at Bathgate and popped to Wetherspoons for a pint. Then back to the station for a second winning 334 in the form of 035!

Once at Queen Street we decided to head to the Travelodge to check in and dump our bags. With that done it was back to the station to see what was about. 156485 was a winning move to Anniesland. Time for dinner so off to the spoons for a roast. Or so we thought! No roasts for some reason so I went for a Chilli Dog! After that we roamed around the area between Exhibit Centre and Dumbarton Central. In total I netted 8 more winners before we got to Dumbarton Central. It was there we waited for the Sleeper from Fort William. Now of the 'Scottish' 67s all I needed for haulage was 67011. We could hear it long before we could see it. What was it? Through the headlight I eventually saw the number and it was 011! Brilliant!

20141109-Scotland iPhone-Glasgow Queen Street (Low Level) by The Guinness King, on Flickr

This took us to Queen Street Low Level (due to EGIP engineering on the traditional route) and it was to the hotel we went. A great day finished off brilliantly! 19 winners, so one short of target but four big ones in there. Two HST power cars, a 91 and a 67 in that lot. One other thing that I was pleased about was my new phone. I'd used it to take a photo of the 67 (my camera was in bag at hotel) and was pleased with the outcome. So pleased that i didn't hesitate to use it more during the week.
Day 4 - 10th November
The plan was a trip to Oban and back to complete the route and then see what we could do in and around Glasgow before heading over to Edinburgh to see what was on the Fife Circle.

An early start (0520 off Queen Street) meant we had had little sleep but with there being no restriction on the way to Oban we had to do it. We set off in doubled up 156 485 and 447.

20141110-Scotland iPhone-Glasgow Queen Street by The Guinness King, on Flickr

485 was good last night but 447 was good now! It was obviously dark so little could be seen. Up to this point I had no idea about the F1. I was able to download the highlights on iplayer so I watched this for an hour and half. Result was as expected but as long as Hamilton brings it home in Abu Dabi I don't care. He's so deserving of the title this year and the double points has made a mockery of it all. On a side not the BBC coverage has gone down hill massively. Sky had a wobbly start but it's so far ahead now. Anyway I've got sidetracked!

It started to get light a little while after we took the left route at Crianlarich. It didn't feel like that long before we got to Oban. The route now complete, we had about 20 mins here before the return. There seemed to be nowhere to get any food. We ended up getting sandwiches from Costa. At least there was a trolley for drinks on the train.

20141110-Scotland iPhone-Oban by The Guinness King, on Flickr

The return journey was entirely light. It is as expected stunning. Not quite as stunning as the Fort William route (which we did 18 odd months previously) but the journey flew by. We bailed at Helensburgh Upper and headed into the town. A quick drink in the Spoons before onto some of the suburban Glasgow stuff. I still need the branch to Balloch so we bailed at Dumbarton East (nice handy island platform) for the train to Balloch. It was a pair of 320s and 320313 was a winning unit.

20141110-Balloch-320303 by The Guinness King, on Flickr

We returned and bailed at Partick. By now we had discussed heading out to Motherwell and then up to Whiflett. This way we could see what was at Mossend. So winning 318251 took us to Motherwell and then a dud 320 up to Whiflett. As we passed Mossend there was plenty there but all dud for me. We waited at Whifflet for the train back to Glasgow Central. It was a dud 156.

At this point I'd only had 4 winners. Something needed to change. At Glasgow we jumped straight onto 314211 which was a winner to Cross Hill. It was back and forth for a bit on the circular line from Central to Central which netted me another three 314s. We now needed to think about getting to Queen Street for the train to Markinch for a PSUL bit of track. Getting there via Central - Hyndland - Partick - Exhibition Centre - Partick - Queen Street got me another few winners. We got into a dud 170 to Markinch. Well we bailed at Inverkeithing. This would be enough for the PSUL and where we'd meet the Fife circle 67 diagram back to Haymarket.

67004 was on duty today. Not required but was expecting a winner. A winning 170412 back to Edinburgh for us to check in and then get some food. After this it was back into the trains to try and get some winners. I was on 13 for the day and needed 7 more.

It started well. As we got to the station we saw an East Coast HST that was heading north and running late. The front wasn't required but the back was winning 43277! Brilliant. We took that to Haymarket and jumped straight onto another waiting HST! No idea what was on it but we took it. Turned out to be dud but you never know!

For the next couple of hours we did moves between Edinburgh and Haymarket if I needed anything. The last thing before we headed to the hotel was seeing the first sleeper waiting at Edinburgh before leaving.

20141110-Scotland iPhone-90036 by The Guinness King, on Flickr

I managed to get to 19 winners in the end. Another day where I was one short of target. Never mind. Still a great day and the route to Oban completed as well as other little bits!

Kite159

Veteran Member
Edinburgh to Haymarket is a good little trip to score several winners on owing to the number of services.

Good news in getting your PSUL movement for the curve to the Fife Circle line from Linlithgow side, puts my coverage on a diverted train to shame ;)

noddy1878

Established Member
I tried to go for that curve last time I was up there but didn't make it (can't remember why). Got 5 days of work now so will try and get the rest of the trip written up next week.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Enjoyed the read so far, looking forward to the rest of it when it's ready :)

Some fantastic results there, done very well! Glad to see you've enjoyed it thus far too. I did that PSUL curve in both directions behind 40145 :D

D841 Roebuck

Established Member
I'm also enjoying this report.

Sounds like my type of trip - a combination of haulage bashing and track bashing.

As for Winchburgh Jc to Dalmeny - did it as an unexpected bonus in 2006 when my train from Glasgow to Montrose (for the Caledonian Railway diesel gala) was diverted. Curiously, the furthest North I've been with 40145 is Rawtenstall (South being Penzance).

Looking forward to more of the report in due course.

noddy1878

Established Member
Thanks guys. Time to get this report finished!

Day 5 - 11th November
Another reasonably early start. The rover isn’t valid until 0915 so i got a couple of cheap advance tickets from Edinburgh to Dundee. Two reasons. I needed some route up to Perth and across to Dundee and I wanted to cross the Tay Bridge in daylight. It also meant I could be back in Edinburgh to maximise the time there trying to score winners.

So a dud 170412 took us to Dundee via Perth. More route completed and time for breakfast. We grabbed a large Wetherspoons breakfast and then headed back to the station. The first train back was XC service to Truro (my home town when growing up). Didn’t really want to go on a voyager (had haulage off them all so no reason to go on them) so waited to see what the train behind would be (started at Dundee so was due in). I didn’t need (170420) it so reluctantly we went on the voyager as it was quicker.

20141111-Dundee-170420 by The Guinness King, on Flickr

Once back in Edinburgh it was time to try and get as many winners as possible. Basically we went between Edinburgh and Haymarket. First up was a pair of 334s from Haymarket to Waverley. Then I saw 170395.

I needed to get this as I believe it will heading to Southern in the new year at some point and no doubt be reclassified as a 171 to make it compatible with their other DMUs. A quick dash to the enclosed platforms and we were on it and on to Haymarket.

No sooner had we got there I saw my first TPE liveried 350. It was a winner so we jumped on that to Waverley.

20141111-Edinburgh Waverley-350410 by The Guinness King, on Flickr

All my sights and haulages of the 350/4s from earlier in the year was when they were still unbranded. It was then 158713 to Haymarket before returning on 722. 334010 (slowly knocking them off now) to Haymarket and already I had 7 winners for the day!

A dud 156 to Waverley so we could get 380103 (first of the trip) to Haymarket. It was then another winning 334 back to Waverley and then a little break. The break involved a winning 380104 to Dunbar. A new station and time for a quick drink in the pub near the station. Its a quick run to Dunbar with the 380 really able to use its speed for the 29 miles.

20141111-Dunbar-380104 by The Guinness King, on Flickr

Once back in Edinburgh it was a Cornish Pasty from the West Cornwall Pasty company and then onto winning 170413 to Haymarket. Behind that was another winning 170471 which next stop was Edinburgh Park. Got off here loads of times but what a horrible station to go from one side to the next!

Didn’t want to hang around here too long so it was onto the next train whatever it was. Luckily it was another winner in the form of 334015. At Haymarket another winning 380 was in. It was heading to Ayr so onto 380115. A very slackly timetabled run saw us at Carstairs a lot earlier than the return. Two Pendolinos pass before it finally goes and then the return to Edinburgh on another winning 380 (112). What a horrible station Carstairs is though. Nothing there.

20141111-Carstairs-380115 by The Guinness King, on Flickr

The day was getting on now and it wasn’t long before our train to Arbroath. There was still time for a winning 158 to Waverley before returning to Haymarket on a 170. Another winning 170 took us to Edinburgh Park before a dud 334 back. Two more 170s with hops from Haymarket to Waverley and back before I saw my final 390 for sight (had seen them all before renumbering). We hopped on this for our final trip back to Waverley before heading North.

It was then onto a rammed (and dud 170) all the way to Arboath. Why Arbroath? Needed dinner and the Wetherspoons is near the station. We were lucky as we got fold down seats by the doors but the train was pretty full all the time we were on it.

After we had dinner it was back to the station and then onto the train to Aberdeen. It was 2 late and got later and later. Not good. Our connecting train was 5 minutes after at Aberdeen. I asked if they would be holding it but they were confident we would arrive on time. We did (by 30 seconds) and luckily the train to Inverness was in the adjacent platform and it seemed half our train got onto it anyway!

We eventually got to Inverness and we checked into the hotel. We then went for a few drinks because this was the earliest we’d finished for the day (2233!). This was technically our last night in Scotland. A good day 21 winners, so I had beaten my target and got back what I didn’t get on the Sunday and Monday!

Day 6 - 12th November
There was to be few trains to day. Pretty much the whole day was taken up by travelling to Wick and back before heading over to Aberdeen for the sleeper back to London. So after a right mess of trying to buy sandwiches (basically you can’t buy two meal deals in the same transaction!!!) in Coop we got to the station at 0700. It was then off to Wick for new route on dud 158720 (how disappointing!). What a stunning journey. Some very contrasting views but has a bit of everything. The train also went a lot quicker than I was expecting. It was only the waiting in loops that slowed it down. We eventually arrived at Thurso and we hopped off to grab a photo before getting back onto Wick.

20141112-Thurso-158720 by The Guinness King, on Flickr

20141112-Wick-158720 by The Guinness King, on Flickr

It was trying to rain when we got there and very windy! We headed into town to get some lunch. We had an hour so it was a relaxed lunch before the train back South. The weather was starting to deteriorate and was rain a lot of the way back to Inverness. We also (not that i realised) were getting later and later. This was all due to waiting in loops for passing trains. That said 158720 did seem to struggle when pulling away with wheel slip.

We got back to Inverness about 20 minutes late but it meant that we waited less for our train to Aberdeen. Ten minutes intact. We weren’t going to Aberdeen on this train (winning 170428). We got off at Inverurie to pop to the Spoons. Then a dud 170 rolled in for our trip to Aberdeen. A quick change of plan saw us get off at Dyce and wait for the train behind. Good move as it was a winner in form of 158 718.

Once at Aberdeen it was dinner time. We had an hour. It was Spoons for dinner and I underestimated how far it was from the station. In fact the station was pretty much in the middle of either. So after dinner we walked briskly to the other before back to the station. We made it with about 4 minutes spare. Really didn’t want to not get both spoons seeing as though I was there. We found our cabin and then quickly got off to grab a photo of 67028 that would take us to Edinburgh. We would find out what took us further south tomorrow. Before retiring we went to the buffet carriage. I love the buffet carriage where there is no fixed seating and its really spacious.

20141114-Scotland iPhone-Aberdeen by The Guinness King, on Flickr

It was then to bed. Very few trains but a lot of new route that had to be done. Only the line to the Kyle of Lochalsh is left to do now in the far North.

Day 7 - 13th November
We woke about 30 mins from Wembley. I’d had a good sleep (only waking at Edinburgh when the power was restored from the 90 after the 67 was disconnected). Not a lot in the yard at Wembley. At Euston we went and found that the 90 south was a winning 90021. It was then a walk to Kings Cross for a Maccy Ds breakfast before jumping onto Thameslink. My dad needed nearly all of this but we jumped on only what I needed for haulage. We managed hops to Elephant & Castle before heading back to Farringdon. Within the 70 minutes before we left the system, I’d picked up 9 winners. An off peak rail card was then purchased and we headed to Liverpool Street.

Would I get my final 315? Would I get my final 378? (For those have seen the red pen thread, you know). We jumped on 321301 to Stratford for the first move. After that left we saw 315844 coming in the other side. I had to get to it! My last one! We ran to the other platform (and I hate stratford’s layout!) and made it! Thank goodness! Didn’t want (all though it wouldn’t have been that hard to be honest) to have to start working out moves to get to it. After that to Maryland and then another pair of 315s back to Stratford it was just to keep and eye out for 378257 and hop on winning units. It was a good morning in that respect. Picking up quite a few winning units and a 90. We ended up at Shenfield during one move where we saw the DRS operated RHTT. As we neared our time to leave for Paddington I finally saw 378257. Unfortunately we were leaving Stratford and I saw 378257 coming in. I knew that it would be gone by the time we got back and I didn’t have enough time to chase it down.

20141113-Shenfield-57303 by The Guinness King, on Flickr

20141113-Shenfield-47810 by The Guinness King, on Flickr

It was soon time to head to Paddington for the train home. The trip was coming to an end. We got there and it was 43195 and 091 back. My dad went on to Truro and then Perranwell Station.

What a great holiday!

Total Mileage: 3218 miles
Total Winning trains for haulage: 99 (including four underground units)
Total new stations: 22

Two 66s, one 67, three 43s, one 91 and two 90s were good loco winners for haulage. I completed my 315s for haulage. What remains of the 170s (didn’t see the few that converted to 171s) 378s and 390s have been completed for sight.

I enjoyed the trip so much and there is still so much i need in Scotland, I have already planned my next trip up there. I’ve booked three days up there to do a Central Scotland Rover. Thats in Jan. But there will hopefully be small day trips before then. I’m booked onto the 'Tugging Shedmaster' for the new year but hopefully a couple of day trips to London can be made as well.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
An excellent read, most enjoyable and I see you did really well all in up there, not to mention your bits and bobs around London!

I've got the same problem as you, I really wanted to return to Scotland ASAP when I did my Central Scotland Rover a while ago. Hoping to do another one of those in 2015, but I have got a Scottish bash in just a couple of weeks time :D Details will be posted in my trip report thread in a bit :)

Love the amount of miles you covered, but I would wager it was an expensive trip!

noddy1878

Established Member
Love the amount of miles you covered, but I would wager it was an expensive trip!

I was fortunate that my dad offered to pay for everything. But a combination of advance tickets and the rover made it quite reasonable to be honest.

The Central rover is very good value. That's what I have gone for in Jan. I should be off to London on Wednesday night for Thursday. Will report on that in this thread should I make it.
3rd/4th December - London Day Trip

With what should be the first of two trips before the end of the year to London, here is how the day panned out. As with most trips to London, I started out the night before leaving Plymouth on the Night Riviera. On this trip I went with a friend and normally we meet at Exeter but he’d been off all week and met me at the Plymouth. 57310 was doing the honours tonight but would it make it? It has had a rather troublesome time whilst on its hire in to FGW and although the problem with it is known DRS apparently won’t allow FGW to fix it! With that in mind why doesn’t DRS just swap the loco for a different one? Who knows!

20141204-London Paddington-57310 by The Guinness King, on Flickr

Anyway it did make it and made it on time into Paddington. Normally we’re off as soon as we arrive but it was cold outside and we got a drink before leaving the train. Good choice! It was freezing! Anyway we headed over to the underground platforms (Hammersmith) and got our travel cards. We then headed east towards West Ham but hopping on and off at various stations to catch units behind. This netted me five new S Class units and three D units. Once at West Ham we crossed over to the heavy rail platforms. Before today I needed 12 Class 357s to complete for haulage (although a cock up in my notes had me thinking I only needed 10 until I got home and realised it was 12! Doh!). My mate needed 9 and about 6 of them were the same ones we needed. It was a long 4 hours we spent in the area. Not helped because it was cold but it took a long time before anything either of us needed turned up! Surprisingly it was heading out of London (with half the trains heading ECS in this direction at this time) we took it to Barking. My mate didn’t need it but was too cold to wait anymore (this was the pretty much the same all day with the exception of a few hours later). I started to have a run of a few units required.

Amazingly we didn’t see any units that we needed heading ECS which I guess was a good sign! But as time went on it got more frustration. We went for breakfast at Barking Spoons as we knew it would coincide with a train returning from Southend that we both needed. Or did we? It split and the only portion turn up was the one i needed! I needed the other half too so it was annoying but luckily we stuck around for a little bit longer because it turned up 30 odd minutes later.

By 1100 we decided that it was enough! It was far too cold! I was down to four units required (at the time I thought two!). Next up we went on to the DLR for a bit to get to Stratford. As we started heading from Tower Gateway towards Shadwell my mate spotted a 357 he needed. So back onto the 357s he went and I carried onto towards Canary Wharf. About 45 minutes later we met up again and made our way to Stratford. During all this time I had grabbed 14 DLR units (and a pub!) so not bad. We got to Stratford and this is where we split. The main thing we were after was 321s. I don’t know what was going on but all we seemed to find we 360s (that were needed) and the 321s were dud! We split after a half an hour as we both needed different units. At this point the first 321 i needed rolled in and off to Liverpool Street I went. Upon arrival I saw 321361 and jumped on it back to Stratford. I also saw required 360103. This was behind and I caught this to Romford. I was on my way back to Stratford on winning 321437 when my mate text me to say 378257 had just arrived into Stratford.

I missed this unit a few weeks ago and a quick look at the timetable showed it heading to Richmond in 15 minutes. I was 8 minutes away so would make it! My final 378 for sight a few weeks ago and now my final for haulage! I took it to Homerton (new station).

20141204-Stratford-378257 by The Guinness King, on Flickr

It was then back to Stratford (on winning 321431 and 314) and to Liverpool street. There was one last area we wanted to spend some time in before heading home. Thameslink looking for required 319s. We had about an hour and we basically did bus stop moves through the core. We did this to Elephant and Castle from Farringdon. I picked up one 377 and more importantly seven 319s! I am now down to twelve required for haulage.

We got back to Paddington with a few minutes to spare and it was back to Plymouth. Better still the train arrived into Plymouth a couple of minutes early! A slow (and cold) start to the day but not bad considering the areas we concentrated on are where i don’t need many units. It was also great to finally complete my 378s.

Total Mileage: 604 miles
Total Winning trains for haulage: 51 (including underground & DLR units)
Total new stations: 1

So next up, as already said earlier, another trip to London. Should all go to plan we will be going up and down on sleepers (i’m on a late the next day so its not a horrible rush to work!) so we will have two rush hours to go through and should be a more productive day. We will leave c2c for a while, possibly until its warmer!

Techniquest

Veteran Member
As always, an excellent read and I didn't envy you festering at Barking in the cold for that long! I had some (in comparison) short waits for buses to/from work this week and that was bad enough!

Congratulations on clearing the 378s, and for your epic progress with some of the South East's massive fleets! I'm not even close to matching your figures, surprised you didn't go to the GN side though for 313s!

Two rush hours in one day, you could have some serious fun there! Good luck to you I say!

Techniquest

Veteran Member
noddy1878:1998564 said:
I've cleared all the 313s except 3 on the south coast.

Ahhhh, that's why. I'm planning to go for some of them (or even some 317s or 321s) on the GN side next Tuesday morning. If you're about in London on that morning, PM or tweet me if you want to meet up for some company :)

noddy1878

Established Member
Ahhhh, that's why. I'm planning to go for some of them (or even some 317s or 321s) on the GN side next Tuesday morning. If you're about in London on that morning, PM or tweet me if you want to meet up for some company :)

I'll tweet you at some point. Not sure where about I'll be yet but Tuesday can't come soon enough (my week's been pretty much like yours by the sound of it!).

Techniquest

Veteran Member
noddy1878:2003565 said:

I'll tweet you at some point. Not sure where about I'll be yet but Tuesday can't come soon enough (my week's been pretty much like yours by the sound of it!).

Dread to think how your week has been, mine's been dreadful (literally!) and the worst of it still to come yet! Still, the boss is back next week and she's going to hear all of it...

Fair games, I'm not due back into London until 0930 on Tuesday morning and want to be at Euston by 1230 so not got much time to crank anyway to be honest!

noddy1878

Established Member
15/16th December
So the day had arrived for the my last big trip for 2014. Work has been tough of late (kind of expected in retail at Christmas though <() and I was on my last day of four in over a weekend. During the day I had had various bits of info being sent to me by my mate about that nights 1A40 to London Paddington. I knew very early on that it was to be two HST power cars (43187 & 149) leading 57310 (providing the ETS). I also knew that a required 57303 was bringing the 1C99 down from London that night too.

I got to Plymouth station at about 2340 with no sign of the train (it was starting at Plymouth due to problems with its down trip earlier in the day). Eventually, around midnight, 08645 could be seen dragging the train into Platform 7.

20141215-Plymouth-43187,43149, 57310 by The Guinness King, on Flickr

20141216-Plymouth-08645 by The Guinness King, on Flickr

Photos of the front and rear of the train were taken and eventually we left Plymouth 19 late. We hadn’t even got to Tavistock Junction before we slowed down quite significantly before coming to a stop not much long after that!

We crawled for a long time (and pretty much all the way up Hemerdon) and was 35 late by the time we got to the top. We were none the wiser as to what was going on at this point. It wasn’t until we got to Ivybridge (now 42 late) before we got going! We think that there were engineering works going on and because we left Plymouth late we got caught in it! At the end of the day it didn’t matter to be honest as we knew the scheduled stops later in the trip would just be swallowed up. As it turns out we arrived into Paddington 4 late.

20141216-London Paddington-57310, 43149, 43187 by The Guinness King, on Flickr

The plan for the day was to get as many winning units as possible. With that in mind and knowing the area where the most units by TOC that we needed was South Eastern we headed to London Bridge. We got there via Hammermith line from Paddington to Farringdon (picking up a couple more required S7 trains on the way) before using Thameslink to London Bridge. En route we spotted our first 387s going in the opposite direction. We spent about three hours picking up units between London Bridge, Waterloo East and Charing Cross. Very productive it was too. 31 winning units in that time before we decided to head over to Waterloo and look for some 455s. We needed very different ones so we decided that we would head for breakfast and then split if needed. Despite our best efforts breakfast was ages away! We kept seeing a unit that either one of us needed! So after picking up four 455s (my mate got five i think), we finally got to Raynes Park via several stops and heading back on ourselves and we got breakfast just after 11! A large Wetherpsoons breakfast and a pint of Adnams Shingle Shells - very nice, was had before we got back on the rails! Straight away I picked up another 455. At this point we split. So after an hour I got the remaining three 455s (for SWT) that were out as far as I could tell (that I needed) and we met back up at Clapham Junction and headed for some Southern stuff.

455s were obviously high on the list here but they are all mixed up with 377s so if any turned up that was needed we basically would get on it. Again we split as we needed different things. Over the course of the next few hours I got 12 new winners. My rate slowed down, not being helped by delays to the trains and then the I got on that I thought was going to Balham (it went straight through) and next stop was Mitcham Eastfields. I had 25 minute wait to for the next train back that way so went to the Spoons for a quick pint!

At this stage I should also say that due to 57303 having worked the 1C99 the night before and should be working the 1A40 back up we decided to head home on the 1803 off Paddington to meet it coming up! Mad maybe, but worth it! For those that remember the last report, we were going to go home on the 1C99 from Paddington and get a second rush hour in. But not knowing how long 57303 would be around we dumped that idea.

So we made our way back to Paddington for a reasonable time (unlike last time) to get some beers for the trip home and food. We went from Clapham to West Bompton on winning 377701 before the District line to Victoria and then up to Green Park for the Bakerloo to Paddington. En route two more D units, and a bakerloo line unit! Slowly knocking them off.

We got our beers and were on the train long before it was even announced. Much more comfortable than last time and then it was off to St Austell! I’ve never (nor my mate for that matter) done a Paddington to St Austell move before! We arrived a few minutes down but was more than enough time to nip to the spoons for a quick pint. The weather was typical Cornish Mizzle but soon enough came 57303! A great winner to finish the day off! It nearly wasn’t! A combination of Beer and not much sleep the night before meant I fell asleep and woke to find us at Plymouth and everyone boarding! I woke up with a start and hurriedly said bye to my mate (who had also fallen asleep) and got off! I only just managed to get a picture as the loco pretty much started pulling away after i took it!

20141216-Plymouth-57303 by The Guinness King, on Flickr

A great day! 59 winners in total and two great sleeper trips! A total of 657 miles travelled and two new winning stations This was my last big trip for the year. I have one little trip out on Sunday down the Heathfield branch but unless FGW chuck a 150/9 on it won’t be a winner (but the track will be).

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Sounds like an amazingly productive trip! Much more so than my visit to London was, but that was my fault for being fussy over what I wanted! :lol:

Exhausting times still by the looks of it, and you were lucky not to miss your stop on the way back! Hope your trip on the Heathfield branch is a good one!

noddy1878

Established Member
21st December

A mini trip, 50 minutes to be exact to finish 2014! When it was announced that FGW were running Santa specials to Heathfield I quickly checked to make sure I could do it. It was the final bit of track I needed to score in Devon and I missed out on the last two times a tour went up the branch. Luckily I was able to make the first run of the day before I had to head to work.

I headed over to Newton Abbot for 0830 as I was meeting a friend who had got me my ticket (he lives there) so we could have a catch up. We had't seen each other since September so it was good to have a catch up.

We both headed to the station to see the unit coming in from Exeter (he was off work all day and would be getting the last train of the day which traversed both parts of the loop at Heathfield and went into Platform 9 at Newton Abbot. Would have done it if i could but doing the main branch which is all that I was after to be honest). I was hoping that FGW would chuck a 150/9 on it (need both after the recent reformations). No such luck. 150234 rolled in.

A few minutes later 150925 rolled in with a Bristol Temple Meads - Penzance train. Gutted!

Anyway the 20 minute run to Heathfield was completed and after a ten minute wait we returned. It was then back to the car and to work. In answer to you question Techniquest, yes I did enjoy it but it was very quick!

So 2014 is over for any trips away. I am still waiting for exact confirmation of the Heathfield mileage but I travelled at least 20642 miles this year. This is less than last year but as my route required diminishes my mileage does. I spend more time on shorter hops going for required traction. On that front I had 36 new winning locomotives, 110 DMUs, 301 EMUs, 222 Underground units and 82 Light rail units. Route wise I completed a big chunk of Scotland (all the way up to Wick & Thurso from Inverness), most of East Anglia and the Chiltern Main line.

All though thats it for 2014, I won’t have to wait long for 2015 to kick off. I am booked with a couple of mates onto the Tugging Shedmaster on 3rd Jan. Can’t wait!

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Sounds like a fun little spin even though winners turned up!

Good result for 2014, I got nowhere near your mileage but intend to count my winners properly soon! My own review of 2014 is coming soon

noddy1878

Established Member
The first ‘proper' trip out for 2015 (I had travelled from Plymouth to St Austell the day before for a day at the fantastic St Austell Brewery!) saw me and two friends heading to Birmingham to join the 'Shedding Tugmaster’ rail tour that had been revised to a later date due to DB driver availability. This was good for me as I could not make the original date due to work. I set off from Plymouth at 0330 and drove to Newton Abbot to pick up a friend. We then headed to Exeter where we would meet another friend and he would then drive to Birmingham. We drove to Tame Bridge Parkway and although the tour would pick up from here, we went into Birmingham for breakfast.

It was already at this stage we knew something wasn’t right. The ECS move from Crewe to Stafford was late running and was clear the tour would not be starting on time (0745). We finished breakfast and then went to Baguette World (by the station). 99p for a filled baguette!!! Bargain. We each got a couple to see us through the tour and headed to the platforms. The ECS move was by now on its way but it left Stafford an hour late. There wasn’t much we could do so we headed to Platform 4 to see what was about. A few minutes later the tour was announced for Platform 4 so at least we didn’t have to go anywhere and some info came though to one of my mates. Not information we wanted. The 60 that should have been on the train already was not. It was 67016! At this stage we didn’t know why. Another few minutes passed and we knew what the 66 was as well when the loco numbers appeared on the screen. 66230. That would be a winner and even one of my mates was happy as he needed it (he doesn’t need much where as I need a lot having only got back into the game 4/5 years ago!).

The train eventually arrived and left New Street 45 late with 67016 leading. It was now we found out what had gone on. There was a problem with the generator coach so the 60 was removed and the 67 added for ETH. So now it was the ‘Skipping Shedmaster’! We headed North to Crewe and passed though Basford Hall as we headed round to Gresty Green Up Loop. Of all the locos we saw two of note for me were 68004 and 005. It was also at this stage the 66 got taken off without even doing anything! A lot of unhappy people, as it would turn out 66230 hadn’t worked a passenger train for 12 years and a lot of people needed it. DB were prepared to do the loco change at Crewe station but NR wouldn’t allow it. So with 60092 added now it was the 'Skipping Tugmaster’.

Next it was on to Crewe Electric. Hopefully this would be where I would see 90033, my final 90 for sight that has been here for many years. We passed though and we were able to get the numbers of everything we could see. Unfortunately 90033 was not amongst them! I think that 90033 might just completely escape without me seeing it. It’s a long shot but can’t see it ever being reinstated. I did see however 4 new 08s, 2 new 60s and 4 new 92s for sight.

On then to Latchford Sidings via a reversal at Chester. We went straight through to the sidings (43 late) and once there DB added 09106 to the train which would pilot it back through to Walton Old Junction. At this stage we were 35 down. Surely we’d make up all the time that was lost?

09106, 60092 by British Rail 1980s and 1990s, on Flickr

Southwards we went and we joined the Birmingham - Derby line after traversing the chord at Litchfield. Onwards to Toton. It was dark by the time we got there which is unfortunate but we did spot a lot despite this. We had an hour and 20 at Toton and we had arrived 35 late. We were confident we would leave a lot less down but how wrong we were. 46 Late we left! Seriously how long does it take to detach a loco and add another. Ok two! The 67 needed to be changed as 016 was low on fuel. Anyway 67015 was added to the front which would take the train to Stapleford & Sandiacre whilst 60071 was put on the back which would take the train back to Birmingham and onto Stafford. At Toton for me a new 66 (euro one) and two 60s were spotted. It was now back to Birmingham via Leicester. Track of note for me was Lifford curve to head into New Street rather then the direct route that XC uses. Unbelievably we arrived 11 late! Then onto Tame Bridge Parkway. 4 Late! It was then the long journey home!

So all in all it was a good day but some frustrations. Firstly not somehow using the 66 was just incredibly annoying. Secondly the timing. At certain points I appreciate that the train needs to go slowly and let others through. But some of the timing is painful. We ambled along when we were 45 down and even now I can’t believe we only got to Tame Bridge 4 Late. That proves that it could have made up time earlier and perhaps got to the destination early? I know its difficult and there has to be slack in the timetable but maybe they should use the slack to allow the train to run early if it can. It’s not like a normal passenger train which has to leave at the timetabled slot, everyone is already on the train.

So yes a good day. Two new 60s and 09 for haulage and a handful of locos for sight. A total of 285 miles travelled (the bulk behind a loco). It now looks like my next trip won’t now be until Jan 25th. Not overly happy about that but finances and work have a part to play in that.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Ah yes, work is getting in the way of a lot of trips I'd like to do too. Finances are also why I'm not currently out until February 2nd now, but it'll be worth it when it arrives!

Some good results from the tour at least, even if the delays were ridiculous! Where are you planning to go on the 25th?

noddy1878

Established Member
Ah yes, work is getting in the way of a lot of trips I'd like to do too. Finances are also why I'm not currently out until February 2nd now, but it'll be worth it when it arrives!

Some good results from the tour at least, even if the delays were ridiculous! Where are you planning to go on the 25th?

Heading to Scotland for three days. Tickets and accommodation is booked. I had (well still do) a load of east coast points to use, so my trip from KGX to EDB is pretty much free (I got Kings Cross to Berwick free and have paid £12.90 for the remainder - all first class). I know in the grand scheme of things its not that far away but I was hoping for a smaller productive trip before hand. I may still manage one. Just have to wait and see.

Last edited:

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Sounds awesome! Hopefully you can get the smaller trip in before it too.

My next one isn't that far off either (25 days to go) but it feels like forever away! I was looking at a smaller trip before hand myself, but I had forgotten the money I've been super tight fisted with has to go into the pot for the Northern Lights holiday in November! Still, as they say, good things come to those who wait!

In the meantime, I hope all's good down there in Plymouth :)

noddy1878

Established Member
Central Scotland Rover Bash
25/26th January

So my first proper bash of 2015 had been a long time coming. By this stage each year I had normally used lieu days off from work and already been away for a bit. As it stands I have only managed one trip and that was a rail tour so wasn’t exactly a mega bash! I had booked this way before Xmas and I had decided to return to Scotland quite soon after my November trip for a number of reasons. There is still plenty I need up there (128 Scotrail units before this trip!), still some route required, I could get there cheaply and I like Scotland.

As with most of my trips (think i mentioned it before) I start off on the Beds from Plymouth to Paddington. Luckily my wife said she’d drop me at the station on the Sunday night (saved the 1.7 mile walk as I am sure there would be plenty in the coming few days!). As expected (it went down on the Friday night) 'Northern Belle’ liveried 57312 rolled in. It was a dud (the last time I had it, is was in Network Rail Yellow at Swanage). I would have got a photo but it was running a few minutes late so I couldn’t be bothered to get one and then have to peg it to the back of the train. I did get a photo at Paddington though.

20150126-London Paddington-57312 iPhone by The Guinness King, on Flickr

Once I got to Paddington I headed off onto the Underground network. I had a couple of hours to kill and in that time I wanted to see if I could grab my last two Victoria line sets. No such luck. I didn’t (although I had a reserved seat) want to get to the train too late. I decided to get my Rover ticket before I got on the train to save time when I got there. I checked RTT to see what platform i needed and then went and found out what was leading. I knew it was my train as all the stickers were in the windows. 91121 was leading. A dud. Still need another 8!

20150126-London Kings Cross-91121 iPhone by The Guinness King, on Flickr

I was travelling 1st Class to Edinburgh and was looking forward to breakfast! I was hungry now and was pleased when they came pretty much straight away. The best thing was I had used some East Coast reward points to get to Berwick Upon Tweed for nothing. I then paid the £12.90 excess to Edinburgh! Bargain. So off we went. Peterborough was the first time of anything was seen. I saw five 66s and at the time thought they were all dud. But upon getting home i realised my required lists were slightly out of date and didn’t include some of the new 66/7s. So 66767 was a winner for sight. Next up, Doncaster. Plenty of locos about but no winners. It’s great seeing 47s kicking about and doing some good work for various operators. I also saw (although was a dud for sight) my first Colas 60.

York was up next. As we rolled in we caught and passed 66750. Needed for sight so I’ll take that! Things got better. 66748 was also overtaken shortly after Newcastle. Another winner for sight. The weather once we hit the coast was stunning. Clear skies were had and you could see for miles. We were soon nearing the end of the journey and I had been completely tea’d out! The journey had gone quickly though. As we past Craigentinny I spotted 08615. Either some shunters had been moved about or I had just missed it on my last few visits but it was required for sight.

So we got to Edinburgh and I already had my ticket so I got on with it, as I set myself a target of 20 units to get in . Straight up I jumped onto 156504 to Haymarket. Up on the bridge i saw 170421 and I wasted no time in returning to Waverley. Once here I saw two required 170s. I jumped onto 170419 back to Haymarket before wasting no time in getting back to Waverley behind dud 170418 for winning 170456. Whilst at Haymarket I didn’t wait long for 170396 to roll in. This was my final 170/3 in Scotrail colours!

Up next was 158725 to Haymarket! No you’re probably thinking I’d head back to Waverley but 334013 (with 028) was heading to Glasgow! So onto Edinburgh Park! Didn’t want to stay here too long as obviously there are fewer trains! So I got on whatever came next which was a dud pair of 334s. I didn’t have to wait too long before another two winners. A 158786 to Waverley and 158738 back to Haymarket meant i had scored ten winners in just over an hour! I knew this rate wouldn’t continue (partly because I was going to be moving on from the area and partly because I needed lunch) but the next train I saw that was required was 156432. It was a Glasgow Central train and I got off at the cross over point to get me back. This happened to be West Calder which was a new station in the book.

20150126-West Calder-156432 by The Guinness King, on Flickr

Dud 156504 took me back where I jumped onto a winning 158741 to Edinburgh. Next up (rather handily as it was a winner) was 170460 which I took to Stirling. My plan here was to grab lunch in the Spoons before heading back.

This didn’t happen. As I got there I was looking at trains back south. I decided to skip eating, grabbed a drink and headed back to the station. Then it was south to Bishopbriggs (new station) on 170396. I spotted a move that would get me to Croy and then on the train a few minutes behind to Edinburgh. Good choice. A winning pair of 156s (439 and 450) took me to Croy (another new station) before now dud 170396 (which had now been joined to 170427) took me back to Haymarket.

20150126-Bishopbriggs-170393 by The Guinness King, on Flickr

20150126-Croy-156450 by The Guinness King, on Flickr

As rolled into Haymarket I saw a south bound East Coast HST. I only saw the back power car but it was a winning one! 43274! I pegged it over the bridge and jumped on. Needn’t have pegged it so fast it waited for another 5 minutes but i didn’t know or have time to check!!! No mater I took it to Waverley and went to check the front power car which was 43290. I was getting hungry but I couldn’t leave just yet for food. Over the next hour and a bit I picked up the following from EDB - HYM moves. 380113, 170404, 156494, 158732, 170401, 158870, 170451 and finally 170415!

Now I really needed to lose the bag and get food. It had just gone 2000 and I made a decision to stop chasing trains for the day (I even surprised myself with this!) get some food and go to a few pubs. With my bag dropped off at the Travelodge in Waterloo Place I jumped onto a bus to Dalkeith. The reason was to get the Spoons done there. I was gonna eat but it took so long to get there I decided to get a drink (I do eat at some point, promise!) and head back to the city centre and onto the White Lady, another Spoons which is a bus trip from the centre. It was here I did eat. I then headed back to the centre and went to a couple of cask marque pubs (I think you can see I also like ale and pubs!).

It was then back to the hotel to get my head down. A very good day. I picked up 23 winning trains, three new stations, three new Spoons visited (five pubs in total) and another 5 new ales tried! I have no idea of my mileage as I haven’t been able to work all that out yet

Last edited:

Techniquest

Veteran Member
An extremely good day there, with an absolute ton of mileage for absolutely certain! I'm confused why you couldn't just use Rewards points to Edinburgh though.

Without checking my NREA (as it's upstairs, and it's very cosy in the lounge in front of the fire!), I reckon that a significant number of your winners would have been winners for me too. Got to be said I'm rather keen on returning to Scotland myself, and I had originally planned to go for a Central Scotland Rover with my forthcoming week off, but that'll be detailed in my trip report at some point!

Looking forward to the next instalment :D

noddy1878

Established Member
Techniquest - When I tried to book the tickets I couldn't get to EDB with rewards. Berwick was as far as it would let me go.

Postye - Yes same hotel! Very handily placed.

Just got in from work so now to day 2.

27th January
Day 2. Today I would be travelling light. No bag at all as I would be staying in the same place again tonight. Up at a reasonable time because I wanted to get to Musselburgh for breakfast at a required Spoons. Its not that near the station so i got the bus and by doing it early i could get it all done before the ticket kicks in. I got there just after 8am and had a large Scottish Breakfast! Did the trick and hunger was beaten. Now, the intention was to get back to Edinburgh and start my day there. But I noticed that the bus I had caught went onto Wallyford. A quick check of the timetable saw a connection that would get me there and into Edinburgh at 0916! That was slightly quicker than the bus back in and gets me Wallyford station in.

With that done it was the first train to Queen Street up next. Unfortunately the 0930 didn’t materialise and had to catch the 0945. The train never even got mentioned as cancelled. It was a double 170 (402 and 410) which I think was supposed to be both services combined. Anyway once I arrived at Glasgow the plan was to get a Strathclyde Day-tripper. This would allow me to get to Ayr later in the day and provide no restrictions on what I could potentially get on. I also set my self a target 30 winning units for the day. Based on the fact I needed a fairly large chunk of Suburban Glasgow stuff I felt this was achievable. With my ticket got I headed to the low level and caught the first train (334035) west to Hyndland. Hyndland is an island platform which makes changing trains easier than most as long as I am at the right ends of the train!

I soon started picking up winners. 320319 to Patrick and then 318264 back. This was quickly followed by 334036 to Patrick before I continued East on winning 318255. I took this to Bridgeton for new station. It was back to Argyle Street behind wining 320311 for another new shack and then 318261 through to Hyndland. That all went well. I took breath and a couple of dud trains passed before I got wining 318263 to Partick. Then rolled in 334003 and 033. 003 was required I took this to Charing Cross. Now down to three 334s. I didn’t want to stay at Charing Cross so got the next train back (318251 & 320310) to Patrick. From here winning 320317 to Hyndland allowed me to catch double winning set 318260 and 256 to Partick. My next train back west bought me winning 320305 and i spotted a move to Jordanhill which would get me a new station. I only had to wait a couple of minutes before I was back at Hyndland on wining 320322.

Now my rather productive few hours was going to slow down. The reason? When I got Glasgow earlier I spotted a 170 that was needed. I had worked out that it was due back at 1333 and then be out. Why was I so fussed about a 170. Well I only need a handful now and if I see one I need I decided I needed to try and get them! So with that I headed to Queen Street and whilst waiting for 170470 to arrive I grabbed a BK Double Bacon Cheeseburger Meal. With that devoured (and note I ate at a reasonable time! Before 1330!) i headed to the platforms and saw my 170! I got on it and a few minutes later we off to Lenzie.

20150127-Lenzie-170470 iPhone by The Guinness King, on Flickr

Another winning station to boot I then headed back south with 170460. As we arrived into Queen Street i saw 170433. A winner! So it was off to Falkirk and back on 170402. Upon arriving back into Queen Street there was nothing I needed. So it was down to the low level and I wanted to get over to Central. Duds 334001 and 320322 (with a change at Partick) got me there and I headed to the high level. I went into the gated area on the right hand side and checked all the 380s in the station. All duds! A noticed 314209 waiting for Paisley Canal. This was needed so I got this. I didn’t want to do the whole branch (although stations on it are required) so i looked at the crossover. I get a plus 1 at Dumbreck. Hope everything runs to time then! Be a wait for 209 to return otherwise. We got there and then i realised it was a station without a proper bridge. So I pegged it to the road at the end of the station and then over the line via the road before pegging it back down. Then rolled in 314204, a winner back to Central.

Now I was finally able to get some 380s in. I still needed twenty three 380s before I started my trip so was confident of getting a few. But I couldn’t believe what followed! I got onto 380016 to Paisley Gilmore Street. 380019 to Hillington West. Back to Gilmore Street on 380012 before I noticed a string of units heading to Ayr in close succession. I got on 380005 to Dalry (new station) before moving onto Prestwick Town (new) on 380019 and 113 (both dud). I quick pint in the spoons and I got the next 380 to Ayr (winning 38004). Here I got some food at the Spoons. From here i saw that it was a ten minute (ish) walk to Newton-on-Ayr. I would get my train north from there to get a new station in. 380022 and 015 took me onto Irvine for a new station and I popped into the Spoons by the station. A swift pint and then into Asda for some supplies.

Back on the train 380116 to Gilmore Street an then 021 into Central. Once I arrived there I saw 106 waiting so I got this to Gilmore street before back to central on 009! When i got back there was nothing else in that I needed! I couldn’t believe that of the last eleven trains I caught it produced a winner on ten of them and thanks to doubled up sets i scored eleven! Then it got better. As I went round to the other platforms I saw 380017 in the platform heading away from the Ayrshire coast! I jumped on and took this to Cambuslang (new). Good move as it turned out as I then got winning 320308 back to Central.

When I was back at Central I saw the sleeper stock waiting in the platform. 90037 had dragged the stock in and 90021 was waiting to take the train to London.

20150127-Glasgow Central-90037 iPhone by The Guinness King, on Flickr

I grabbed my photo and then jumped on 314207 which was a winner to Queens Park (new) and dud 314205 took me back to Polloksheilds East. I jumped off here as I saw 314208 rolling in and it was required. I took this to Mount Florida (new) before heading back to Central. What a a productive few hours. 314208 was my 32nd winner of the day (I thought I was on 33 but i miscounted on the day!). I was well happy with that! Now was time to head to Dalmuir. I wanted to get the Sleeper back to Edinburgh as it would be going along the Airdrie/Bathgate route and it would be my last chance to get 67 hauled sleeper. I knew it wouldn’t be new though (but the route would be for loco hauled). I got to Dalmuir on 318265 and 334028 with a change at Hyndland. Dalmuir was different to my last visit here several years ago. There is a new waiting now which was good as it was raining! Soon enough 67011 arrived and I jumped on. 67011 was my last ‘Scottish’ 67 which I had picked up back in November. Hardly surprisingly I fell asleep for most of the trip to Edinburgh. I woke as we passed through Haymarket tunnels. I got off and grabbed a photo.

20150127-Edinburgh Waverley-67011 iPhone by The Guinness King, on Flickr

It was now 0110 so was time to try and get to the hotel. This was a mission! I headed to my usual exit point (the stairs up past the shopping centre). But once i got to the very top I realised the gates were shut! Hmmmm! So back down i went and up the road slope. Nope a gate at the top. I was getting a bit miffed off now as there was no one around and no sign at all of gates etc being shut. So up the next road slope. Yes! I could get out! The guys at the top seemed surprised to see me and I explained I came off the last train that arrived (that said I wasn’t the only person to get off - at least two others did). No matter. I got back to the hotel and was soon asleep!

Great day! 32 winning units and 13 new stations. Also got four new Spoons.

Status
Not open for further replies.