• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Noddy's Trip Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Makes sense on the Rewards thing that, at least the trip only cost £12.90 on East Coast, bargain!

A massive bit of variety had there, and a huge amount of winners too! Not had a look to see what I would have scored there out of your lot (despite my NREA now being within 6' of my current location!) but I wouldn't have scored any of those 314s (needing only 314213 :D) and maybe only a couple of the 380s and 320s, as I don't think my last 318 was in your trip report.

Surprised you hadn't gone for the Fife Circle loco-hauled turn to be honest!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

noddy1878

Established Member
Surprised you hadn't gone for the Fife Circle loco-hauled turn to be honest!

Well the plan was for that to happen on day 3. I'll try and write up that later when I get back from work.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
28th January
Day 3. So the last day in Scotland was here already! Went quick. Originally I was going to be meeting a mate but due to work commitments he was unable to make it. The weather had also started to turn for the worse. Both these things kind of made me change what I did and meant my ambitious target of 15 winners was not achieved. All will be explained.

So I got up about 0630. I was knackered after a late one last night but I had to drag myself out. I had decided to try and get some of the trams in the book. I had a few from last year (I happened to be in Edinburgh the weekend the trams started). So I had a maccy d’s breakfast and then got a ridaticket. For the next hour and a bit I rode as many as I could. I didn’t find any two stations where the cross over was nice and found I had to wait each time. Never mind. I bagged 7 new trams which wasn’t bad.

20150128-Murrayfield-260 iPhone by The Guinness King, on Flickr

As i neared the time my ticket was valid I headed to Waverley. Initially I planned to see what was about in the Edinburgh area. This wasn’t very productive. After an hour and half I had only picked up 170477 to Haymarket and 156437 back. None of the 380s kicking about were needed and when I finally found another winning unit (170406) i caught it too Glasgow. Try my luck there. Whilst I was on my way it was then I decided to go after a bit of required route. I needed the line between Queen Street Low Level up to Springburn. With that done on 334002 I decided to stay on it to Cumbernauld. New station and then i would head to the Spoons for lunch! This was early for me. It was only 1230! When I left the station the snow was now coming down quite thickly. But it was not settling.

After lunch it was time for another bit of new route. This time on 334017 from Cumbernauld down to Whifflet. Well as far as Whifflet was new I stayed on with a plan to get off at Newton. I was happy when we passed through Mossend though. I spotted DRS 37604. Very much required for sight. Now with my plan to get off at Newton. It didn’t happen! I fell asleep! Doh! Last night caught up with me. So I jumped off at Rutherglen (new station). Inspired move as in rolled 320315 and 302 going the other way. 315 was required so I jumped on as far as Cambuslang. It was then back to Central.

Once here I saw 156435 waiting and it was required. It was East Kilbride bound and I needed the route so I decided to take it all the way. This was obviously not helping me with my target but I was getting route and new stations. So off I went and it started snowing again. Again like last time it didn’t settle (but it was settling in the mountains which could be seen from the distance behind Glasgow).

20150128-East Kilbride-156435 by The Guinness King, on Flickr

On the way back I noticed I could bail at Clarkston (new obviously) and walk for 10 minutes to Williamwood. This was also new as I could then head down required route to Neilston and then back into Glasgow Central. At Williamwood I waited for a dud 314206 and took this to Neilston. The snow was now coming down again and settling.

20150128-Neilston-314206 by The Guinness King, on Flickr

I then went back to Central to complete the branch. Once back at Central the only thing I could find that was winning was 314209. This saw me heading back down the Neilston branch! I bailed at Muriend for another new shack and waited for the train behind. I was going to take this to Whitecraigs where I could meet the train the other way heading to Central. This didn’t happen as everything started running late and I would have missed the connection. So I waited and went back to Central on dud 314211. Back at Central I saw 314202 which was needed. I got on as all the indications were it was heading out to Newton shortly. It then became apparent another unit (314206) had come in front and that would be off to Newton. The unit i needed would be leaving after. So I took 206 to Shawlands. I then went to the nearby spoons for a swift drink before walking to Pollockshaw East and took 314202 which was behind back to Central. Two new stations and my last winning unit of the day!

It was now getting colder and the snow was falling although not really settling in the city centre. I was tired and decided that i needed to go and get something to eat. A short walk to my final required spoons in the city centre, Edward Wylie. My train back to Edinburgh was going to be the 1C99 XC service which takes the route round the back of Edinburgh past Craigentinny. Last bit of required track scratched for the day.

The snow had really begun to settle now and the landscape (even though it was dark) was white! Once at Edinburgh my train back to London was waiting. 90024 had bought in the sleeper stock and was waiting to run round. I went to the first class lounge to wait for boarding. There was still an hour till we left but luckily we boarded early. I pretty much got into bed straight away! I was knackered and it wasn’t long before I fell asleep. I think I woke slightly when we left but I missed everything at Carstairs and woke again somewhere south of Watford!

It wasn’t quite the day I originally planned but it was good in a different way. I picked up 8 new trains, 7 new stations and quite a bit of route. Oh and also 7 new trams! The eighth winner of the day was 90034 which dragged the train from Carstairs. So i did sort of get to 15 if I include the trams! Either way it was the end of the Scottish trip.

A thoroughly enjoyable trip and very productive. I also discovered I had completed the 318s for sight. I now only need 8 Scotrail units for sight. Not sure when I’ll be back up there again but hopefully not too long. As I said before I love it up there and whilst the numbers have dropped there is still 67 Scotrail units for haulage needed. And route wise? Larkhill branch, Lanark branch and Kyle of Lochalsh line.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Just got caught up, not going to talk about the London area bit of your trip? Or is it coming and you've been busy?

noddy1878

Established Member
29th January
Day 4
Having arrived into Euston and being pleased with what had bought me down it was time to move on. I need so much in London still I ended up flapping about what to do. In the end I decided to initially head to the Northern Line and see what I could do on there. With breakfast also on my mind, I headed up the Edgware branch to Colindale. It took a while as I flagged a fair few trains to only pick the winning units. I managed eleven winners. The Spoons was a little further away than I wished as well. Nevertheless a large breakfast was devoured and it was back to the station. I decided to head to Liverpool St now to go for 317s and 321s. So it was straight down to Bank (another two winning units so now down to 81 Northern units required) and then onto a central line train (3 sets of the four were winning) to Liverpool Street.

After a short look around I spotted a 360 that was needed. So it was off too Stratford on 360114. Once there I waited for something heading back that way that was needed. Eventually a double winning set consisting of 321358 and 321422 took me back to Liverpool Street. I had 20 minute wait at Liverpool Street for a winning unit. Another 360 (so much for trying to get 321s - but it was needed) in the form of 360106 and it was back to Stratford.

The next train back to Liverpool street was 90014. Be rude to let that go so on I jumped. I remember in the past these services weren’t advertised but the seem to be now. Either way it was a winner and now need only there Greater Anglia 90s for haulage. Guess what I got on at Liverpool Street? Yep, a 360! 360108. But not because I needed it. Because it was the first train back out. There was nothing required and it was leaving straight away. Once at Stratford a change and I saw 317511 which was due to head out towards Cheshunt. It was a winner and I decided Cheshunt was a new station and I was hungry (yes lunch time already!) and a required spoons was there. I was a little surprised when my ticket was rejected at the gate (Z1 -6). I even questioned it, asking if I was still in zone 6. The guy on the gate said yes and let me through. It was later in the day I realised Cheshunt was not in zone 6 and but was in Zone 8. As I was walking to the spoons i decided that I would have a swift drink and then head onto Waltham Cross for lunch there. That way both spoons were done and both stations (as I headed back into London from there). No issues at station as no gates (I still wasn’t in Z6 but in Z7! But if i thought Cheshunt was in Z6…….!). I had timed all this wrong though. 317511 had returned. Never mind! I saw a couple of the new Eurostar Class 374 trains at Temple Mills when we passed and it I was soon back at Stratford.

From here 321320 was a winner to Liverpool Street. I was straight back out to Stratford. If my timings were right a winning 360 was due back from Ipswich. I was right. 360115 to Liverpool Street. I now need four to clear the class. Onto the other side of the station now and a pair of 317s formed of 317665 and 888 were had to Clapton. New shack and one winning unit. It was trying to rain here and it was getting cold. A change of plan was needed. It had been quite a frustrating few hours in this area. No doubt it would have got better during rush hour as my choice was available but it was getting cold. And being tired meant the cold was getting to me quicker. So after a welcome double winning set of 317s (507 and 892) back to Liverpool Street I went to the tube again.

I jumped onto winning S7 set 21413/414 to Moorgate. I hopped from one station to the next until Baker Street where the S8s obviously diverted away from the Circle/Hammersmith. During that time I picked up two more S7 units and four S8 units. I obviously flagged a few but once I got to Edgware Road i stayed on and swung down to Earls Court. Time for some of the time limited D Stock. For the next few hours I waited patiently for winning D stock units as I headed east. I picked up 12 new units and once I reached Canon Street I stayed on dud S7 to Paddington. This gave me 15 before minutes for my train back to Plymouth. It hadn’t been announced yet but I headed to the Platform it was on. 43042 and 43143 were doing the honours and we left on time.

So with that, it was the end of the trip. A fantastic trip. Plenty of winning trains and stations mainly north of the border but a few in London. I still haven’t sorted out my mileage so no idea where I am YTD. Since the trip I have been out on a train on one off journeys in the south west mainly in my attempt to pick up 57306. Initially the gen I received was it would lead the Sleeper from Penzance on Thursday 7th Feb. But it didn’t, it was 57602. So that was a Truro - Plymouth trip. Then on Sunday I finally got it from Penzance - Plymouth.

20150208-Long Rock-57306 by The Guinness King, on Flickr

I knew there was no other 57 kicking about at Long Rock during the day so it would be tonight and it was.

20150208-Penzance-57306 by The Guinness King, on Flickr

So what next. I have a voucher for a London Midland Great Escape. Should be using it on Thursday (I say should, will be heading to London and hope to use it. All depends on whether a mate can also do it. If not we’ll stick around London area but hopefully should be ok).

Techniquest

Veteran Member
A very productive time in London, fair games. If I could join you for the Great Escape I'd be there, alas work is in the way. I had 57306 several years ago, in September 2006 (good god that was a long time back!) on a Nuneaton to New Street drag then again in May 2010 on the FGW Paignton to Cardiff turn. Quite, my last 57/3 was also in 2010 I believe, hence the lack of flapping about 57/3s on the FGW sleepers from me!

noddy1878

Established Member
It was May 2010 I'd got back into this game after a 15 year absence! I missed an awful lot in the years I was able to do stuff on my own ie old enough to do what I want. Never mind. Can't change what's done.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Absolutely, there's plenty I missed out on too but can't change that. I must be grateful for being on the scene when ATW had regular loco haulage going on, and for Crewe Open Day 2005. I never believed them when they said it would be the last one, sure enough it was and I'm glad I went!

You're doing well for having only come back to the scene in the last five years though!

postye

It was May 2010 I'd got back into this game after a 15 year absence! I missed an awful lot in the years I was able to do stuff on my own ie old enough to do what I want. Never mind. Can't change what's done.

Know how you feel there, I only got back into the game in January 2013 after a 13 year absence, mainly because I made a mistake in booking some tickets for a mothe early so had a day out on my own travelling around and remembered how much I enjoyed it so gave myself a challenge.
Plenty of changes in that 13 years though

Kristofferson

Somehow managed to miss these the first time round. Loved the photos throughout and the amount of loco hauled stock you travelled on makes it sound like a great few trips.

Would certainly swap this 350 I'm on for something decent!

noddy1878

Established Member
Somehow managed to miss these the first time round. Loved the photos throughout and the amount of loco hauled stock you travelled on makes it sound like a great few trips.

Would certainly swap this 350 I'm on for something decent!

I guess I am fortunate that (although it is having problems at the moment) the sleeper service exists down here and I use it a lot. In fact used it again on Wednesday night. Report in due course.

Kite159

Veteran Member
I guess I am fortunate that (although it is having problems at the moment) the sleeper service exists down here and I use it a lot. In fact used it again on Wednesday night. Report in due course.

Quick question regarding the sleeper, I've been given berth 9L in coach D on a £49 advance midweek in April, is that a half-decent one or is it over the wheels? (I'm guessing as the ticket says "sleeper advance solo" it will be a solo berth?)

noddy1878

Established Member
Quick question regarding the sleeper, I've been given berth 9L in coach D on a £49 advance midweek in April, is that a half-decent one or is it over the wheels? (I'm guessing as the ticket says "sleeper advance solo" it will be a solo berth?)

I would guess the same. If it says advance solo i would assume it to be a solo. As for whether its above the wheels, I would say not. Usually when I do the Great Western Sleeper i'm seated. If I do the Scottish one its a bargain berth. To be honest in berths I never have any trouble sleeping anyway.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
February 11th/12th
London Midland Great Escape
Its been several years since I last did a London Midland Great Escape so when I found out the offers were back on I decided I needed to get some tickets. The first day off from work that I was able to do one was Thursday 12th. Originally I was going to drive up to Bromsgrove and start it from there as I can not justify the cost from Plymouth to ‘Anywhere it starts’ at such short notice. However a friend of mine who works for the railways was also off so we went via London on the ‘Beds’. This offered the advantage of being at the right end of the LM network that I wanted to be.

57604 did the honours tonight and arrived into Paddington early with no issues. There was no mega rush for us to be off so we got a bacon baguette and tea. I got the relevant tickets I needed to see me through till my London Midland GE was valid. The plan for the day was 350 bashing and work on lowering my needs of the class. Before the day started I required 42 London Midland units. Also at this point I hadn’t had a single 350/3 since their introduction. Initially the day consisted of moves within the Zone 6 boundaries until I could my GE. Even though this consisted of restrictive moves between London Euston and Watford I bagged a lot of units and a fair few were winners. In fact I had picked up 8 winners before 0930 when I was then able to go north. Amongst those 8 winners were four LM 321s (321413, 414, 415 and 417) and three 350/3s (350371, 374 and 377)! The winning unit was 350251. At Wembley there was 67005 and 86639. Of note at Willesdon was 92028 and 86213. I needed the 92 for sight so that was good.

So once valid we headed from Watford to Hemel Hempstead on winning 350242 with dud 350257. We noted 387123 heading south but didn’t get the other unit at the back. Once at Hemel (required station) we had short wait for the unit behind. 350259 was a winner and took us to Leighton Buzzard, also a new station. Dud 350117 onto Bletchley before a naughty move to Milton Keynes on 377204 & 205. The bacon baguette seemed like a long time ago now so went and got some breakfast from the nearest Spoons.

After late breakfast/early lunch we headed North to Rugby. This time winner 350109 took us there. At Rugby two locos were in the bay, 92043 and 57309.

20150212-Rugby-92043, 57309 by The Guinness King, on Flickr

A few track plant machines were over the far side near the abandoned motorail wagons. Whilst we busy checking what was in we saw a LM unit heading in to go back south so we made a quick move to the platform it was due in. 350372 (winner) rolled in so we went back to Milton Keynes.

20150212-Milton Keynes-350372 by The Guinness King, on Flickr

The day was going well. A short wait before we went south to Leighton Buzzard on 350113. It wasn’t as warm as it had been the last few days and I was glad when 350264 rolled in going north. Even more so because it was my last 350/2 required for sight and therefore a winner for haulage! We bailed at Bletchley as there was a unit not far behind. Whilst here 150107 was waiting for its next diagram to Bedford. This was the first time I had seen a 150 in London Midland livery.

20150212-Bletchley-150107 by The Guinness King, on Flickr

The unit not far behind was 350127 which we took to Milton Keynes. The next LM that arrived was Crewe bound 350376. It was required so we headed to Rugby once more. It wasn’t a long wait until we had a train to return south on. 350374 had returned from Crewe so we jumped back on that to head back to Milton Keynes. Time for another new shack. 350106 to Berkhamstead. Another short wait (you don’t really have to wait long in these parts for a train!) saw 350119 take us to Watford. A whooper of a train at Watford, 350247, 375 and 373, all winners, took us back North to Kings Langley (another new shack).

350115 and 259 then took us south with the former being a winner. Unbelievably the 3s kept rolling in. This time 350370 with 251 was had, this time all the way into Euston. We jumped from this train to the train in the adjacent platform. It was the next one due out and consisted of 350246 and 350369, my final winning 350/3 of the day.

20150212-London Euston-350369 by The Guinness King, on Flickr

We took this as far as Harrow. Then the plan went wrong (although it could be argued it helped me). For the first time that day signalling problems revealed their ugly head. Although it would so seem it was only for the next train we caught. A 12 car consisting of 350116, 350239 and winning 350267 was boarded and we got held outside Bushey. We eventually got into Watford 12 down. We were told it was signals but everything else didn’t seem to get affected. The train behind was there straight away. It had 350249 which was a winner on it with 350266 and one other unit. With there being a winner on it we scrapped the plan to go to St Albans Abbey and got the 12 car instead. Good decision as when we got Hemel Hempstead we discovered the final unit was 350248. Another winner! That would be the last winner of the day for me. But there was time for one more station. We went North to Tring before heading back south to Euston.

It was then the short walk to Euston Square before a dud 21301/302 and 21347/348 S7 took us to Paddington. My mate went off to get some fish and chips whilst i headed to Sainsburys to get some cans for the trip home. The trip home was pain free, in fact I got to Plymouth a few minutes early. I’d already decided a taxi was gonna the way home. Really couldn’t be bothered with the 1.7 mile walk home. So I managed to get home at 0016, just 5 minutes after the scheduled arrival time of the train. A good day was had. 23 winning units taking me down to 19 London Midland units required. Couldn’t believe I got 9 of the 10 new 350/3 units. Also picked up 4 321 units. Missed the St Albans branch (and what would have been another winning 321 as I had had none of the LM ones before today) but I’ll try for that next week, i think. I say think but I’m still not sure what to do with my other GE. Still pondering. Finally I managed 5 new stations too.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
That was an incredible amount of 350/3s in the book! I'm very jealous as I still need two of them for sight, all of them for haulage. Quite, I still need two of the 350/2s (231 and 239) for haulage as well as 321413.

A very productive day out all in there for you, looks like I'll need to keep an eye on both the Trent Valley runs and WCML South to get my 350/3s in. Only need Hartford, Polesworth, Bordesley and Tring on the LM network which isn't too bad, but the middle two there have incredibly limited service (one northbound train only M-F am for Polesworth!) or on match days only (Bordesley), so it's going to take some doing to clear them all!

Hoping to book my own Great Escape bash later, although depending on hotel availability and ching it might just be a quick trip to Tring and back to score the shack!

Kristofferson

The next LM that arrived was Crewe bound 350376.
I don't really do numbers, but I have been keeping track of the 350/3s I travel on... and this is the only one I still need for haulage, managed to get all the others on my commute. Got them all for sight, mind :) you've got some catching up to do on that front, Techniquest!

Sounds like a good day out, sadly I don't have an opportunity to do the Great Escape myself :(

Techniquest

Veteran Member
I know, it's an embarassing gap in my NREA! Will be fixing that in 8 days time, all being well :D

Shame you can't do a Great Escape this time around, maybe next time?

noddy1878

Established Member
So this Tuesday I have another Great Escape (done none for a couple of years and then two within days of each other). I have two options. A cheap way to get from the area to Liverpool (then do some merseyrail stuff) or try and get some more LM stuff i need. For 350s you're better off at the south end and i'll be joining from Bromsgrove this Tuesday and not Euston. I can pick up LM stuff on a day-tripper so a cheap trip to Merseyside is tempting. Maybe be a decide on the day kind of trip!

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Depends what your Merseyrail requirements are I suppose, if there's a lot to get then it might be worth doing that instead. It's not a bad run from New Street to Lime Street, and of course if you were willing to spend a little longer getting that way, a different way of doing it (if required) would be New Street > Lichfield Trent Valley > Stafford then change again for Lime Street.

If I wasn't working on Tuesday I'd join you but sadly I am. Don't forget, too, there's no time restrictions on the area in green shading on the Great Escape map. Might be worth looking at that, might get you started a little quicker.

noddy1878

Established Member
Yes, I am aware of the no restrictions on the green shaded part of the map. Just means getting up earlier. My requirements are probably enough to justify it as well. But like I said I'll probably decide on the day. Sometimes it's good to have options.

Kristofferson

Shame you can't do a Great Escape this time around, maybe next time?
Maybe! I can't predict what I'll be doing work-wise, or what my schedule or financial situation will be like this time next year... Will have to wait and see :)

Techniquest

Veteran Member
noddy1878:2078153 said:
Yes, I am aware of the no restrictions on the green shaded part of the map. Just means getting up earlier. My requirements are probably enough to justify it as well. But like I said I'll probably decide on the day. Sometimes it's good to have options.

Fair :) See what happens in the meantime, would imagine it'll depend on what the day before is like!

Kristoffersen, LM do Great Escapes more than once a year :p

noddy1878

Established Member
February 17th
Great Escape and Merseyrail Saver

The day had come for my second Great Escape. Whilst on my last one I was speaking to my mate about what I was gonna do and was undecided. I was driving to Bromsgrove and starting from there. My choice was to head south towards London and go for 350s again, hang around in Birmingham for the odd few LM units I need or head north to Liverpool (using the Great Escape as a cheap ticket to the area) and get a Merseyrail Saver ticket. I left my house at 0430. Early i know but I wanted to make the most of the GE tickets lack of restrictions. The drive up was relatively stress free thank goodness. I arrived at Bromsgrove just after 0700 which gave me time to struggle to find money for the car park (why does it not accept cards?). Anyway, £3 of change was scrambled together and the ticket got. I already had my great escape ticket so no worry about the lack of ticket office.

I waited in the car cos it was freezing and would only be a quick dash to the platform when required. 66115 passed with a freight train (so close. 114 is my final DB one for sight). By now I had also decided I was going to go to Liverpool. That sorted I heard a South bound train coming. I looked up and 153356 and 170517 rolled in. 153356 sounded familiar. I grabbed my stuff and pegged it to the platforms (I did remember to lock the car). I was still checking to see if 153356 was required whilst crossing the bridge. It was and i jumped on it. Just. Change of plan then! With the 153 being my last LM one required I thought it was best to delay my trip to Liverpool by an hour.

At Droitwich I crossed platforms with the +1 for the train to New Street. Another 153/170 combo. This time 354 and 509. I had a bit of a wait at New Street. I floated about to see what LM stuff was coming in (if i needed it, a change of plans may have been needed). Nothing did and eventually 350251 arrived which would be taking me North to Liverpool. It was a dud (but only because I had had it last Thursday!). At Crewe I saw 70014 and 57307 (well that’s what I saw that I could id). Other locos spotted before Liverpool were 66200, 172 and 08924.

Once I arrived at Liverpool just after 10 I went and got my Merseyrail Saver ticket. It was then over to the Wirral lines. Time to finish off the stations (well as many as I could) and see what units I could pick up. Good start. 508141, a winner to Wallasey Grove Road. A short wait and I headed back in the opposite direction to Wallasey Village. All stations on the New Brighton branch done. With that in mind I also needed the Spoons nearby. It had also been a long time since 0400 and the last time i ate so i jumped on the bus to the Spoons and got some late breakfast. With that done it was back to the station. Whilst waiting for the train 507010 had returned and was heading to New Brighton.

20150217-Wallasey Village-507010 by The Guinness King, on Flickr

Shortly after 508143 arrived and I took this to Birkenhead North. Another winning unit in the book. Now for the stations remaining on the West Kirby Branch. Dud 508139 to Manor Road. Winning 507008 to Leasowe before 508110 back to Meols. That was the West Kirby Branch complete.

20150217-Manor Road-508139 by The Guinness King, on Flickr

20150217-Leasowe-507008 by The Guinness King, on Flickr

Refurbishment at Hamilton Square meant no trains were stopping. So I carried on (on 507017) round the circle and bailed at Liverpool Lime Street for the train behind onto the Chester/Ellesmere Port branch. Winning 508103 was boarded to Rock Ferry. Winning 507004 took me back to Green Lane. Now at this point I noticed that trains weren’t running on time. Didn’t really matter much. It meant three trains were caught quickly and then a bit of a wait for the next. 507031 to Spital before 507033 (winner) to Bromsborough Rake and finally 507004 (again) to Eastham Rake. Then the 20 minute wait. The next train (507016) was an Ellesmere Port train. I took this to Overpool. Another new shack and enough time to pop to the Spoons before going back (on 507016) to the centre of Liverpool. I debated whether to go for the Little Sutton, Capenhurst and Bache stations but with the trains seemingly not running to timetable and others skipping stops I decided to leave them for another day.

Once I got to Birkenhead Central I bailed, the train behind was a only a few minutes and it meant the core stations on the branch were done. Behind was 507005 which i took to Moorfields. It was then up to the Northern Lines. I didn’t really have much time left. But it was worth going for a couple more stations and maybe winning units. Dud 508137 took me from the tunnels to Sandhills. From here a winning 507026 took me to new shack Bootle Oriel Road. After a few trains passed here (not needed) I decided one more stop North to Seaforth & Litherland and then it was time to get back to Lime Street (I recall one time only just making my train from Lime Street after not realising the walk and wait from Moorfields to the Wirral Line and onto Lime Street). 508122 was had to Seaforth & Litherland. A double set of 508114 and 507011 to Sandhills and one last attempt to get a winner to Moorfields. No luck. 507028 to Moorfieldo and then 507005 to Lime Street.

I had about 30 mins before my train, so got a XL Bacon Double with Chilli Cheese Bites at BK. It was then dud 350242 (would have been a winner last week!) to Brum. I hate 350/2s. Not a suitable train for long distance. 350/1s are ok as more space. Never mind. I tried to get some sleep as I still had a drive ahead of me obviously. Once at Brum it was a short walk over to the adjacent platform for 170506 back Bromsgrove and the drive home. The drive was ok, certainly better than what was the drive in the opposite direction. The M5 was closed (forget where) and tailbacks were miles!

I got home just after 2300. So it was 9 winning units and 15 new stations. Pleased with that and was something a little different. Down to 17 Merseyrail units required. Now I have nothing concrete planned for the foreseeable future (not a feeling i like). I have time off in March but not sure if i can do anything yet. Time will soon tell…..

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Not a bad day out there, and well done on clearing your LM 153s! Should have more luck next time hopefully on the Northern lines with rather frequent trains on all of the branches, every 15 minutes on all 3 I seem to recall. Then of course's there's either 3 or 4 pairs on the Southport to Hunts Cross services in the afternoon, possibly one or two on one of the other two branches as well. Think there's a pair on the West Kirby branch too, they're all noted in the timetable at least.

I have now been tempted to pop up there on Monday with my own Great Escape, been too long since my last Saveaway!

noddy1878

Established Member
Not a bad day out there, and well done on clearing your LM 153s! Should have more luck next time hopefully on the Northern lines with rather frequent trains on all of the branches, every 15 minutes on all 3 I seem to recall. Then of course's there's either 3 or 4 pairs on the Southport to Hunts Cross services in the afternoon, possibly one or two on one of the other two branches as well. Think there's a pair on the West Kirby branch too, they're all noted in the timetable at least.

I have now been tempted to pop up there on Monday with my own Great Escape, been too long since my last Saveaway!

Yes. There were a lot of pairs on there but I was running out of time. Next time though I can do the last three stations on the Wirral branch see whats floating about that way and then concentrate on the Northern lines. Slowly getting there.

My LM DMU requirements is now down to three 170s!

noddy1878

Established Member
It's been over a month since my last proper bash and the day is here for my next! Can't believe it's been so long! I should point out I have been on some trains since then, and even got some winners. I went to the Ale Festival at the South Devon Railway back on Feb 21st where I picked up a couple of new kettles. I then went to Dublin with my wife. We left the car at out friends house in Bracknell before training it to London where we stayed the night. It was then off to Heathrow in the morning. No winners on those moves though. Whilst in Ireland we used the tram in Dublin, went to Belfast for the day, and used the Dart a few times. They were all winners as I'd not used the Irish system before.

The trip back to our friends house saw me pick up a couple of winning 450s which was a bonus and then the next day we ended up going to Windsor with them. This saw us on two 458/5s (535 and 536) which were another two winners. That was all at the end of Feb. Until yesterday I didn't step foot on a train. Having been up in Reading for a family wedding I managed to convince my wife to drop me off at the Swindon and Cricklade railway on the journey home (she then went shopping). Here I managed to pick up the 03, 08, 73 and Thumper for haulage (the 73 in the cab). All winning locos.

This brings us to today! The start of my mini 4 day trip which will see me (hopefully) getting plenty of winners and certainly a break from work (been hectic). This is my first proper bash since my Great a Escape that saw me go to Liverpool!

I'm currently on the 1A75 to PAD as I write this. The trip report will probably wait till I get back home but I thought I'd better catch up the last month or so!

Techniquest

Veteran Member
I still need the Swindon and Cricklade line, so I'm a bit jealous of that! I can sympathise with the long wait between one bash and the next one, especially when it's been hectic at work! I do sympathise with the long wait, it's 2 weeks today since I came back from my Metrolink bash, and while I popped by the station last week briefly I haven't been on a train since I got off that 175 2 weeks ago!

You must be relieved to be heading off to London, I can't wait to get there myself on Thursday!

noddy1878

Established Member
It was indeed a good day! Some of what I wanted to achieve was done (all will be explained in due course). Was just good to be out. Now speeding up the East Coast to Darlington.

Status
Not open for further replies.