• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Noddy's Trip Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kristofferson

Good to see some proper locos out and about!

Is the route interesting? Gradients/views etc?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

noddy1878

Established Member
A most productive time had, despite GN's best efforts to derail the plan!

I swear I've got the Spoons ticking thing too now, I scored 2 Spoons (note I'm not going out of my way to do them yet!) yesterday and no doubt I'll be after more of them soon!

lol! That's how it started for me!

Good to see some proper locos out and about!

Is the route interesting? Gradients/views etc?

NVR isn't the most scenic of routes. Its flat and straight. I'm spoilt though with Bodmin & Wenford, South Devon, Paignton & Dartmouth, West Somerset and Swanage which are all about 2 hours to where I live max. But the NVR does get some great locos in.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
April 15/16th - Great Escape, 350 bashing!
57303 did the honours again tonight as I headed to London with a mate for a Great Escape! The route was booked via Bristol Temple Meads and this time we didn’t go over the new Reading flyover. Into London right time we didn’t rush away. We grabbed a bacon baguette (which hit the spot) and I went off to get my tickets for the first part of the morning. It was then down to the Bakerloo line, which was perfectly timed for the minute wait for 3534 and 3343, which were dud, to Queens Park. It was warmer that it had been when I was up here a few days before so that was good as we waited for the next train further North.

378219 eventually arrived and we headed to Harrow & Wealdstone. My mate needed a lot more 350s than I did so I knew I was going to be going on plenty of duds while i looked for my last 9 London Midland 350s. First up we headed to Watford on 350248 which wasn’t required. We knew the next move would produce a pair of 321s (need 3 London Midland ones). Result! 321416 and 415 got me one more. Down to 2! The next move back to Harrow & Wealdstone would see us get the other pair out. What was on this diagram? 321412 and 415! Superb! Another! This time 321412 was the required one. Now down to 1 left! Would it be on the St Albans branch?

Next up was a surprise for me (well when i got home). 377202 and 206. My mate needed them so we got on but I didn’t think i needed either. My notes weren’t quite right and when i checked I realised I actually had a winner in 377202! The next few moves I made were good for my mate but not for me. I had however seen a few of my required 350s that I was able to see what they were doing later. During this time we also spotted 87002 hauling the Caledonian Sleeper South. During this time I also spotted a new gronk (D3671)at Willesden.

20150416-London Euston-87002 by The Guinness King, on Flickr

Eventually I was able to get going properly when my Great Escape kicked in. It also saw me get my final 350/3! 350368 was had to Hemel Hempstead with 350237. My luck was in again when 350120 rolled in to take us back to Watford. 2 down 7 to go!

Once back at Watford me and my mate decided to split. We needed different units and it would seem a lot of his were south and mine appeared to have gone North. Before I followed I decided to do something I can’t believe I haven’t done yet. The St Albans Abbey branch! My final 321 wasn’t on it. It was 321417. So with the branch done (and the Spoons whilst I was there), I headed north to Northampton on 350129. I bumped into my mate once more but we were going fro different trains from there. Before my train (which was already in and my prediction was right, 350108 a winner!) I went and photted 37601 and 37610.

20150416-Northampton-37601 by The Guinness King, on Flickr

20150416-Northampton-37610 by The Guinness King, on Flickr

It was then onto 350108 back to Milton Keynes before I headed back North towards Stafford on 350105. This was where I was to hopefully pick up several required 350s (providing what I had seen and found out was correct). Two 92s were seen heading south here (92042 and 92011 with 042 required for sight) just before I got into the station. I had an hour so decided that I needed food. I hadn’t eaten since the bacon baguette on the sleeper and was definitely feeling hungry. Both Spoons in Stafford were needed so a walked to the furthest one and had a swift half there before the next where a Curry Club was had. It was then back to the station and onto a winner hopefully.

It was good. 350261 rolled in and I got on. Next stop was Wolverhampton. I spotted a 68 on the way but was way too late to get the number. I saw move that meant I could get Penkridge station in. It was over the bridge for 350260 back north a bit and then what would be 10 minute wait before the next train (should be a winner) came. In the meantime the 68 i had missed (it had been looped and i had passed it again) came through. 68005. Dud for sight. Not doing well with these. I’ve only seen 3!

20150416-Penkridge-68005 by The Guinness King, on Flickr

350130 turned up on time and it was another winner to Wolverhampton again. The last and final predicted winning unit of the day wold be on the train behind the one I was on. Rather than wait for it I saw it stopped at Coseley so I took another train (350239) forward to get the station in. as predicted 350126 turned up and it was on to New Street. Superb!

Six new 350s today and I think that would be it. I had lost 350107 despite the gen telling me what diagram it was on (but i saw it on another diagram and lost it!) but i couldn’t complain. I was now down to three needed for London Midland. It was now back to London on 350116. I spotted another winning 92 at Daventry (92029) and the biggest winning spot of the day at Wembley, 86612! This was my final 86 required for sight that was left for me to see! So I have managed to see them all except six (four have been cut up and two are abroad so I am likely to see them!) so I am quite pleased with that.

Into Euston on time at 1947 I then made my way to Paddington on dud 21347/348 and 21333/334. I found my mate on the concourse and we headed for the train. 43029 and 191 that took us home. I have got to add (not sure I have mentioned it before) the newly refurbished first class on FGW is smart. I like the USB ports as well as plug for charging. Pity I forgot my charger! I was on 3% by the time I got to Plymouth!

But a great day! Slowly finishing off LM and the more awkward 350s are slowly dwindling. Hopefully the next one will see me find the last three! Next up is probably Swange in May for the gala.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
A most successful time had in the end, only 2 LM 350s behind me now! Sounds like your last 321 was either sat on Bletchley CS or Kings Heath (Northampton) for the day, fingers crossed for next time!

I still haven't seen this refreshed First Class on FGW yet, I'm hoping I will eventually! Problem is when LM can get me to London for so much less than FGW can, it's obvious what I'm going to go for!

Kristofferson

Almost there! :) congrats on clearing the 86s for sight, can't be many of them still in existence now?

Thanks for the enjoyable read - I scored all the 350/3s for haulage shortly after they entered service, but the task of attempting the 350s as a whole is too daunting to even contemplate!

Last edited:

andyb2706

lol! That's how it started for me!
Before I followed I decided to do something I can’t believe I haven’t done yet. The St Albans Abbey branch! My final 321 wasn’t on it. It was 321417. So with the branch done (and the Spoons whilst I was there)

Great read and you have now got me excited. Later this year I've got a West Coast South extravaganza planned to knock off a lot of the 350's I need, as well as the 321's with a trip to St Albans Abbey as my night stop over, not quite decided on the second day yet. Do St. Albans City for a shack attack and Thameslink or back onto the West Coast. You've given me a lot to think about.

noddy1878

Established Member
Almost there! :) congrats on clearing the 86s for sight, can't be many of them still in existence now?

Thanks for the enjoyable read - I scored all the 350/3s for haulage shortly after they entered service, but the task of attempting the 350s as a whole is too daunting to even contemplate!

I'm nearly there though. So hopefully the next Great Escape? There aren't many 86s left. I kept seeing the same ones. I even doubted the one i needed worked. But a mate of mine kept telling me he'd seen it.

Great read and you have now got me excited. Later this year I've got a West Coast South extravaganza planned to knock off a lot of the 350's I need, as well as the 321's with a trip to St Albans Abbey as my night stop over, not quite decided on the second day yet. Do St. Albans City for a shack attack and Thameslink or back onto the West Coast. You've given me a lot to think about.

I'm like that with plans. I have to a certain point stopped planning in depth because i never do what i originally decide! :lol:

andyb2706

Ah well, I've booked the accommodation already so that I keep to them, although I've not paid for the hotels until I get there :)

noddy1878

Established Member
Update
Since my last Great Escape I haven’t really had much chance too do much but thought I would mention whatI have done. My mother in law had invited me and my wife to go to Sweden at the beginning of May and we flew from Stansted. It was an early flight so we travelled up to London the night before (where we met up my mother in law) courtesy of 43128 and 43165. At Paddington a dud 21413/21414 took us to Moorgate where we walked to our hotel which was minutes from Liverpool Street for the morning. It was an early start and we made our way to double dud 379016 and 379003 (I don’t need any of the 379s) to Stansted. The Chord into Stansted airport off the mainline was needed as was the station. All thats left now is the chord north from Stansted Airport. Another time. We checked our bags in and it was (no surprise) off the Windmill Wetherspoons for breakfast before our flight.

Sweden is an amazing place! Beautiful and peaceful. We had gone as it was the year anniversary since my mother in law's partner passed away whilst he was house sitting a friend's house. I can see why he loved it here. His friends (who we spent time with whilst here) couldn’t have been more welcoming (and their english was very good!). We were staying in a little village called Ljungskille and the house we were in was right opposite the station. Very handy. It was a only a single track line but had quite a regular service from Gothenburg to Uddevalla.

We used the train a few times whilst we were there. We went to Gothenburg and back on one day and on another we went to Uddevalla (but we caught the bus back).

The units that mostly ran on the line were fairly modern and very spacious. Same track gauge as ours but a lot bigger loading! Every now and again pairs of older units could be seen (and indeed we came back from Gothenburg on one pair of them.

20150506-Gothenberg-9076 by Steven Booth, on Flickr

20150506-Ljungskille-3146 by Steven Booth, on Flickr

20150508-Uddevalla-9075 by Steven Booth, on Flickr

The line although single tracked had plenty of passing loops and line speed was about 70/80mph.

After the week had passed we headed home the way we came with one difference. We had plenty of time to get back to London so we bailed (after my request!) at Bishops Stortford for lunch and Harlow Town (new stations). This was so I could tick off the Spoons and also I bagged 317660 as a winner too. After that it was onto London and across to Paddington. Another dud S Class unit (21355/21356) took us there and we found our train.

Weekend upgrade time! We jumped onto first and paid our extra £20. Needed to be done. So much more comfortable (we were both knackered) and it was one of the newly refurbished first class sets. I like them a lot. A comfortable journey home was then had with 43093 and 43143. We were back at a reasonable time which was good as the next day was the Swanage Diesel Gala.

I haven’t sorted my photos out yet but when I do I will post some links to them. I left my house at 0600 and came off the A38 to call into Newton Abbot to pick up Pete. I hadn’t seen him since Jan 3rd when were did the Tugging Skipmaster. So a lot of catching up to do! We called into McDonalds near Dorchester on the way for breakfast before the final bit to Norden.

The Swanage Gala always manages to put on a good show and this year didn’t fail from my point of view. Everything that ran was required except 50035 but I have a soft spot for 50s (they were the first class of Diesels I has completed for sight when I was a kid in Cornwall). Also the repaint of 50035 is absolutely fantastic.

So over the course of the day I picked up D7076, 66741, 73107, 56006, 45060, 33201 and D5185. It was unfortunate that 37057 failed as that was also needed. A great day but it was soon time to head back home.

And that brings my up to date. I have nothing planned for the rest of May. In fact the next thing I have planned is for the 6/7th of June. Hopefully I should be heading to Eastleigh Works on the 6th and then the West Somerset Railway on the 7th for their gala. 59003 being the big draw there. I have big gaps between trips at the moment. I have something a bit more concrete for the end of September (not sure where exactly but have the time off) and then in October I have the opportunity to do an All Line Rover. Never had the time to do it before so it looks like that’s what I will do. For that I will be going after many of the loco hauled diagrams that are now dotted all over the country and some route. Should provide plenty of winning locos in the form of 37s, 68s, 73s and 92s! A lot of planning for that required. In the meantime I hope I can get out to do more but I need time and money!

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Ah yes, time and money, the two biggest obstacles to a good bash!

Those trains in Sweden look well funky, without a doubt more enjoyable than the double-deck EMUs I had when I was over in November.

Would have loved to do the Swanage jobbie but maybe next time, WSR needs doing for the 59!

Kristofferson

All sounds like fun - Harlow Wetherspoons, eh... Many hours of my well spent youth were in there!

noddy1878

Established Member
Lets just say it wasn't the best one I've been too! lol! At least I don't have to go back!

crehld

Established Member
Just caught up (finally). Looks like you've been having a good time. I love Sweden. I have friends over there which is quite handy for occasional visits. Haven't used the trains much though!

Established Member
Another great read Noddy, certainly very productive.
Yeah as tech said, time and money, tend to hamper the chances of a good trip.
If your gonna do an ALR, this year seems to be the year, 37's on the Cumbrian Coast, 68's in Scotland and the Midlands, 92's and 73's on the sleepers, cerainly a case of a well timed ALR.
Good luck hope it all goes to plan.

noddy1878

Established Member
Just caught up (finally). Looks like you've been having a good time. I love Sweden. I have friends over there which is quite handy for occasional visits. Haven't used the trains much though!

Sweden was amazing. I could easily go back.

Another great read Noddy, certainly very productive.
Yeah as tech said, time and money, tend to hamper the chances of a good trip.
If your gonna do an ALR, this year seems to be the year, 37's on the Cumbrian Coast, 68's in Scotland and the Midlands, 92's and 73's on the sleepers, cerainly a case of a well timed ALR.
Good luck hope it all goes to plan.

Thanks. Everything you have mentioned there is on my plan for my ALR. Like I've said it will probably be my only chance to do one so I am going for it. But I am not liking my lack of trips at the moment. I was looking at going somewhere on 10th June and now there is a strike planned. That also affects my Eastleigh visit as thats in the middle of the first one (although this just affects me getting to and from Eastleigh rather than a day bashing).

Established Member
Tell me about it, my last day in the Midlands on the 4th of June is kyboshed big time. Sick isn't the word.
Lets hope they get round the negotiating table and work things out for the better of both parties.

noddy1878

Established Member
June 6th - ICRS visit to Eastleigh Works
In what seems like an eternity (well 10th May) the day was finally here where I would be back out on the rails! Originally today was put aside for a trip to WSR as 59003 was visiting, but whilst at the Swanage Gala back in May, myself and Pete had noticed an Eastleigh Works visit courtesy of the ICRS with a couple of shunter cab rides. You needed to be a member but that was no problem (£16 for a year). We let another mate know (as expected he was interested too) and as you can tell this is what we did.

An early start, as expected, I was up at 0430. I got breakfast, and had a shower before mile and half trek to the station. I arrived and saw 57303 had done the down beds but I headed to Platform 6 for my train. 43143 and 43162 were doing the honours. I jumped onto the train and was a little surprised to see Pete already on it! I had randomly got on and there he was! To be fair he had sent me a text message but hadn’t realised! Anyway he was up so caught the beds to Plymouth from Newton Abbot. We were soon off and en route Dave got on at Exeter. A couple of 66s were spotted at Farwater yard (66526 and 599) but it was Westbury where more was going on. Well not going on but more to spot! 66096, 846, 847 and 70810, 804, 805, 809, 806 and 807 were all in the yard. We had 13 minutes here so we went and got some photos. Three of the 70s were required for sight so that leaves me with only 70002 to see now. We then headed to the other side to get our train down to Southampton (158957). One thing to note though, where is the summer weather? Yes it was sunny but it was bloody freezing at Westbury! Ok not freezing but cold enough to need more than a t-shirt!

20150606-Westbury-66847,846 by Steven Booth, on Flickr

There was a bit at Milbrook as we passed (will come onto that in a minute) and soon enough we were in Southampton. As none of us had done it before we headed back (158888) towards Millbrook and bailed at Redbridge for the walk back along towards the freight terminals over bridge. Redbridge was a new shack and the over bridge was a good spot for photos. In the yard were a couple of gronks, 66542, 544, 541, 420 and 70018, 017.

20150606-Maritime Freight Terminal-70017, 66544 by Steven Booth, on Flickr

20150606-Maritime Freight Terminal-70018, 66538 by Steven Booth, on Flickr

20150606-Maritime Frieght Terminal-08691 by Steven Booth, on Flickr

It was then back to the station for the train back. We made it, just. 158890 was pulling in as we stepped onto the platform. We stayed on now until Eastleigh. There was a fair bit in the yard. 66707, 748, 741, 716, 717 and 73107 by the station and 66039, 150, 136 and 065 at the end of the yard.

20150606-Eastleigh-73107 by Steven Booth, on Flickr

20150606-Eastleigh-66717 by Steven Booth, on Flickr

20150606-Eastleigh-66748 by Steven Booth, on Flickr

20150606-Eastleigh-66748, 741, 716, 717 by Steven Booth, on Flickr

20150606-Eastleigh-66741 by Steven Booth, on Flickr

We then headed over to The Wagon Works (Spoons) for something to eat. It was 1100 so they were still doing breakfast. So I went for my usual (large one without mushrooms!). We were in no rush. We needed to at the works between 1300 and 1330 for the safety briefing. We still had an hour to kill when we’d finished so we headed to the station. We decided we’d kill some time by heading to southampton airport parkway and back. Better still the next train that did that move was a winner for me. 377107 took us the 1 mile and 39 chains for our 20 minute wait back to Eastleigh (158880).

It was then on to the works. Once everyone was there and sorted we went for our safety briefing. As you’d expect it was pretty much common sense and the only area out of bounds was where Seimans were working on two of their Desiros (but you could look in). We were also told we could take pictures but only for personal use (so no pictures i’m afraid). With that done off we went to explore. It’s years since I’d been round the works here (an open day back in the days of BR) and although there was more here then you were pretty much allowed to go where you wanted. We had a stock list given to us so we knew what we were looking for. We weren’t interested in wagons or coaches but everything else we wanted to spot. For me the biggest spot was 57007. Only one more to complete the Class for sight. There was a lot of old Victoria line stock here in storage. Not sure what is happening with them but they're all inside and in good condition. We also saw the DMU from Swanage being worked on for the start of their services to Warhead in the future.

After we had exhausted everything to see (including Sea King Helicopters!) we headed to where the cab rides were being run from. Now at this point we already knew of the bonus we would get, and that was three cab rides not two! So 07007, 08721 and 09009 (winner for sight too) were all had in the cab. We did three trips on each to take the mileage over a mile each. Each were running on different lines. Two towards the back of the yard and one towards the gate with the boundary with NR. After that a hog roast was provided (very nice indeed).

It was now getting on to 1620 (time went very quickly) and although we could stay until gone 1700 (i think) we decided to head back to the station. The main reason for this was so we could make the connections for the trains back to Devon two hours earlier. It was onto 158890 (again) to Romsey for the short wait for 158953 to Westbury. Nothing had changed in the yard and we waited for the HST back. 43042 and 43016 worked the train and we pulled into our relevant stops all on time!

Thoroughly enjoyable day and it got better! My missus hadn’t long been home from work and we settled down to watch the Qualy in F1! Hamilton on top! Happy days!

Tomorrow I was off to the West Somerset Railway for 59003 (Pete had it on Friday and Dave years back)!

Techniquest

Veteran Member
A very enjoyable there by all accounts! I did Eastleigh Works on the open day there in 2010, amazed me how big the place was!

That Spoons is the one right near the station isn't it? If so I must check my directory to ensure I marked it off all those years ago!

noddy1878

Established Member
A very enjoyable there by all accounts! I did Eastleigh Works on the open day there in 2010, amazed me how big the place was!

That Spoons is the one right near the station isn't it? If so I must check my directory to ensure I marked it off all those years ago!

Yes, thats the one.

7th June West Somerset Mixed Traction Weekend
This years Mixed Traction Weekend biggest star was GBRF’s 59003, recently bought back to the UK after its export to Germany back in 1997. I hadn’t had any haulage behind a 59 so this was a big draw for me. Originally the plan was to do this on the Saturday but as you know this was a trip to Eastleigh instead. This worked out better in the end. The reason? Had I gone on the Saturday it would have been the only winner (not sure what happened to the rumour of a 66/7 and 73/9 being there too!) but on the Sunday one of the turns is a kettle which was also a winner.

Not as early a start as the day before, I set off from home at 0730. Its about an hour and a quarter from my place to Bishops Lydeard and there was no traffic about so an easy drive. I already had my ticket so i avoided the rather long queue at the booking office and went and found a seat. First up was 45060 (yes I had this a few weeks before at Swanage) for a run to Blue Anchor. A photo was taken (not great thanks to the position of the sun!)

20150607-Blue Anchor-45060 by Steven Booth, on Flickr

Here would be where I should meet 59003! It is worth noting that the 59 was only supposed to be doing one run on the Sunday (Minehead to Bishops Lydeard) but due to 56006 failing the day before (run out of fuel apparently) the 59 was taking all it’s turns too! 59003 was soon spotted in the distance and after a quick photo I got on.

20150607-Blue Anchor-59003 by Steven Booth, on Flickr

I took this to Crowcombe (new shack for the WSR) for the 6960. Whilst heading back to Blue Anchor I decided I really must try and get to one of the WSR Steam Galas at some point as they have plenty of Steam locos I need and normally get a load of visiting locos too. At Blue Anchor it was the turn for one of my favourite engines, the Warship! D832 was taken to Williton where I would meet the return of 59003 to Minehead.

21050607-Williton-D832 by Steven Booth, on Flickr

I had more time here than planned because for some reason 59003 left 30 late from Bishops Lydeard. I have no idea why but during the wait 66763 had been fired up. Would I get a bonus? Unfortunately not! It ran into the bay at Bishops Lydeard and 59003 then left on its own! During my extra half an hour I had a wonder round the depot at Williton. Wasn’t anything to see that I hadn’t seen before but it killed some time. The weather was being strange too. Nice and sunny but a nippy wind! It’s June! Wasn’t as bad as Westbury yesterday though. I didn’t quite need my fleece!

Eventually 59003 rocked up and it was down to the end of the line! A few photos of what was in and around Minehead and then it was back to the other end and time to head home.

20150607-Minehead-59003 by Steven Booth, on Flickr

It was early still but the traffic was going to be heavier at this time and I wanted to be home for the F1 build up to the Canadian GP. Before I left I saw 66763 which had been moved so I got a photo and head off.

20150607-Bishops Lydeard-66763 by Steven Booth, on Flickr

Another good day and I have finally got a 59 in the book. Hopefully WSR can pull out the stops again next year with visiting locos. Sometimes they don’t seem to get much (certainly not to interest me as normally they get something I have already had!) but this year was top notch! I got home and settled down for the GP and although it wasn’t the most exciting of races, there was enough going on to keep me hooked. The result was even better though, Hamilton won! Great end to a great weekend!

Next up on Wednesday a trip to London! First unit bash since April 14th!

Last edited:

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Immensely jealous of the 59, hope you enjoyed your first 59 haulage!

I did a WSR steam gala a good few years ago, it was surprisingly decent fun. It helped it was a GWR fest, which when it comes to steam is by far the favourite. But let's not go there!

Did rather well for time on your drive up to the WSR, that's for sure!

Kristofferson

Looks like a good day indeed :) The 59 looks similar to a 66... is it different to the 66s mechanically, or just numbered differently?

noddy1878

Established Member
They are different mechanically. They have a much greater tractive effort. The first batch of 59s were bought over in the mid eighties for use by Foster Yeoman on stone trains out of Merehead (I think). I also believe the 59/0s are 60mph.

Half way through my report from my London bash. Hopefully have it finished for tomorrow.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Took me longer to write this than expected! Manic week at work! Bring on next Friday for my day off!

10th June - London Bash
After an eternity, the day finally came for a proper bash! Yes I had done Swanage and WSR railway galas but you know what you should get! My last bash was a Great Escape back in April. As with most of my day trips I set out on the up beds the night before. On hire to FGW saw DRS 57303 on the up service (isn’t it time they chucked out a different loco from DRS? 57301, 302, 307 or 311 will do). Also a more unusual routing via Westbury then Hawkridge junction onto Swindon. I met Dave at Exeter and he introduced me to Martyn. It was a long while before any kip was had, well after Taunton. I was awake by Reading. At least it was light so I could see everything, well if there was anything to see! Was very quiet on the loco front!

So once we arrived we headed over to the Hammersmith line to get our travel cards. We headed over to Moorgate to hit the Northern line for a bit. I was more interested to get to Clapham though to see if I could clear my SWT 455s. After a few wining units down there I decided to head to Victoria. We decided we would meet up for breakfast in a few hours time. I knew Dave needed one SWT 455 to clear them and he had found out where it would be (handily I needed it too). Once at Victoria I jumped onto winning 377140 (attached to 429 and 441) and took this to Clapham (this move would be regular today!). I didn’t have to wait long before I saw 455807 which I jumped onto Wandsworth Common. It was back to Clapham on 377619 (with 602) which was a winner.

Right I knew that the train i needed to catch was the 0730 off Waterloo. I had plenty of time for a move out and back to Clapham for it and this is where it all went wrong! I saw a train which consisted of 456006, 015 and 5714. I need 456015 so i jumped on it to Earlsfield. I station I know well as my sister lives there. I crossed to the other side and a train was just arriving. No chance in hell I was squeezing onto that. It was rammed beyond belief and i saw a train was literally waiting outside. Plenty of time to get to Clapham. Well so I thought. I got on (pair of duds, 5910 and 5865) and as we neared Clapham an announcement informing all passengers that the next stop was Waterloo! WTF? Since when did Earlsfield trains not stop at Clapham? I since found out that there are two trains a day that don’t! Now I would miss the train i needed with potentially one of my last SWT 455s on it!

As we passed though Vauxhall I spotted another 455 i needed heading to Waterloo via the loop. Well I think i knew where it was going. Was so much going on it was difficult to see what it service it was on. I had to try for it though. With this in mind at Waterloo I headed back the way I came to Raynes Park on 5903 and 5723. Here I changed for 5709 and 5855 to Norbiton which was a new shack. If I had worked out correctly this pair of 455s should have 5904 on the back. It did! At last, one SWT 455 down three to go! I took this to New Maldon where I changed to 5706 and 5721 to Teddington. This is where I should meet the 455 i missed, and it was! 5859 (with 5912) on to Clapham! Two down and now time to meet the others for breakfast. Balham was the next stop on a pair air of duds 377707 and 614.

After breakfast we all split again I wanted to try and see if my other SWT 455s were about and my penultimate 444 (which I had seen earlier) should be coming back at some point mid morning. I took a dud 377705 to Wandsworth common and jumped straight onto 377305, 301 and 422 back to Balham. Duds 455831 and 455803 took me back to Clapham Junction and then into Victoria on 377133, 468 and 158. For a bit of variety I went a slightly different way now on 465037. I took this to Denmark Hill for 378154 back to Clapham. I now needed to get to Waterloo. 458504 and 524 was the next thing that came in so I took them. I then went round to the platform that I would hope my required 444 would be sat in waiting to head back to the south coast. It was. 444025 was taken to Clapham Junction and I now only need one more 444 to clear the class.

Once at Clapham i headed back to Victoria. Looking at my notes I can’t remember why as I went on a pair of dud 377s (436 and 406). I came back out on 377112 and 139. I jumped straight onto winning 377625. At this point I saw a required SWT 455 heading into Waterloo. I needed to get back to Clapham! I bailed at Battersea and cam back on 377618 and 605 and waited. After a short wait 5867 and winning 5902 rolled in. Down to one SWT 455. Where was it?

I bailed at Earlsfield and then headed back to Clapham on 5703 and 5735. It was then onto a pair of winners (377129 and 402) to Victoria. As we left Clapham I saw 5741! My last SWT 455! A quick look to see where it was off too (Chessington) and my plans were worked out. I came back out from Victroia on 377160 and 457. At Clapham I then took 5723 and 5903 (for the second time today!) to Malden Manor. After a little wait, i could see in the distance 456010, 020 and more importantly 5741 heading towards me! Very happy with that. SWT 455s cleared and just 10 Southern ones to find!

Time for a change. I had agreed to meet Dave at Euston to see if our last LM 321 was playing at 1630 and I had about an hour and half to kill. I decided that it was best to do some underground stock until that time. I headed to Victoria on 377607 and went down to the Victoria line. I needed three pairs so thought now would be a good time to have a look. I took 11011 + 012 to Warren Street where I was able to see easily what was heading North and South, and I waited. I had just under an hour to play with. After about 20 minutes (which went surprisingly quick) 11003 + 004 showed up. Thank you! One pair down two to go. Unfortunately that was all I saw but at least I got one pair.

Up to Euston I headed to the platforms to see what was there. 321411! Fantastic! My last LM 321 with 321416! It took me even less time to find Dave who had appeared from behind me so jumped on and off to Watford we went. This was pretty much going to be the last train we could go after as we needed to be back at Paddington for the 1803 back to Devon. Dave went on the 377 that turned up (as he needed it) and I waited for the 350 (in hope) that was behind! It was a pair of dud 350s (256 and 249).

A short walk to Euston Square and winning S8 21091 + 092 was taken to Great Portland Street. Dud 21349 + 350 and 362 + 361 were taken to Edgware and then Paddington. It was then time to grab something to eat before we got onto the train home courtesy of 43010 and 43180.

A great day. 23 winning heavy rail units and 6 underground units. Haven’t checked my underground mileage yet but the rest totalled 600 miles exactly!

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Crikey that was an exceptionally good day there! My many jealous congratulations on clearing the SWT 455s, quite an achievement that! I'm also rather jealous of your low requirements on the Victoria line, I'm a long way behind there, but as with everything else I aim to get those numbers changed soon!

Certainly safe to say that it was a good return to proper bashing!

noddy1878

Established Member
8th August - Totally Unplanned London Bash

I can’t believe its been nearly two months since my last bash! This year has not seen me out nearly half as much as previous! Never mind.

Anyway, originally my weekend off work looked like I would have to work (I needed the previous one off for my sisters wedding). As time went on I worked a different weekend so still had the planned weekend off! Bonus! My missus was off to Boardmasters with her friend from work so I had Saturday to myself! There was little doubt that with my own free time at an absolute minimum at the moment I was going to make it worthwhile.

So it was London I ended up. Super off peak return with travel card and I was off on the 0540 to Paddington. What a glorious morning too. Not a cloud in the sky and for the first time in ages I saw the Dawlish Sea Wall in daylight and sunshine. Normally I go up on the Sleeper and miss it all. Anyway, en route I was still trying to decide what to do. There is still so much left in London that I’m always torn. One thing I was definitely doing wasn’t even train related. As some of you may realise I have a thing about Spoons (thanks to a fellow rail enthusiast and I’ve been to 600+ since 2010) and two that I needed to visit in London are allegedly being sold. So I needed to visit them for definite. I decided that this would be my first thing to do to get it done.

Arriving on time into Paddington, I headed straight to the Circle line (noting 43143 had led the HST to London). A short hop to Edgware Road on 21368+367 before winning pair 21465+466 to Kings Cross St Pancras. It was a dash to the Northern line for the one stop hop (51560 and 51710) to Angel where I went for some late Spoons breakfast in the Glass Works (one of the two for sale).

It was then back onto the Northern line to head south to London Bridge. 51613 and 51612 did the honours and it was time to find a train to Purley or at least East Croydon. The first train to Purley was a dud but I noticed 387123 and 387112 about to leave ahead of it. I took them to East Croydon and then dud 377122 that was behind to Purley. The last time I was in Purley to do the Spoons I was too early as it opens at 1000 (!!!!). No problems this time and with that all the London Spoons that are being sold are done. Next up was the awkward ‘Bus only’ Spoons in Selsdon. It wasn’t under threat of closure but because I was relatively near I thought I would get it done now. After about 20 minutes we were there and I jumped off the bus. A swift half and I was back out looking for a bus towards Addington Village. Now I had a plan. I hadn’t done the Addington branch of the Croydon tram so I thought I’d knock that off and to save time in the future did all the stops between New Addington and East Croydon. During the process of the nine new stops i picked up I also picked up five new teams! And it took me less than an hour.

Back onto the rail network now then! I hung around East Croydon until something I needed came in. I missed a winning 319 that was leaving as i got to the platform so the first thing was a South Eastern 375 pair. 375706 with winning 375603 and off I went back to London Bridge. From here (hate London bridge at the moment) I got onto the through lines and took 465195 and 465918 to Cannon Street. Two pairs of 376s were waiting but the only one i needed was 376009 with 376012. That was a 20 minutes away from leaving so now was a good time to knock off the newest London Spoons, The Sir John Hawkshaw within the concourse of the station.

Once we got going I looked at where the best place to bail would be. I decided on St Johns as it was required and the wait wouldn’t be too bad there at all. 466009 and 465047 to Elmstead Woods saw me get another new station. Now I needed to head back towards Thameslink if my calculations were right. I had plenty of time so I took 465182 and 466039 to Lewisham and 465012 and 465042 to Charing Cross. Once I got there I saw a required 376. I jumped on that (376023 paired with 011) to Waterloo East. As we arrived i saw another winning one heading in the opposite direction. I pegged it down the stairs and up the otherside and took 376034 with 021 back to Charing Cross! Nothing else in that was needed so I popped down to the District line from Embankment.

Much to my surprise a winning D Train unit 7509 with 8098 rolled in and I took this to Blackfriars for some Thameslink action. This would pretty much be what I would finish my day on. Plenty of patience was needed here but it paid off. After about 30 mins of nothing heading the right way, 319436 rolled into the bay platform to form a train to Sevenoaks. This was needed! If my planning worked another required 319 was also due. Doh! No way I could get both at the moment. I got 436 as it was definite and took this to Denmark hill. 30 minutes until the next Thameslink unit back so i made the most of the time and knocked another Spoons off that was round the corner.

319370 took me back to Blackfriars. I saw a pair of 377s waiting as we rolled in. 377506 and 377520 with the first very much needed! Surely I wouldn’t make this! It was heading south so I headed south and pegged it down and up the stairs. Into the unit and the doors locked! Nice! Now a quick timetable look up to see when two trains I was waiting for heading north would be around. Ouch! The first was due off East Croydon 2 minutes after I was due to arrive!

All was going well. We were 3 early as we past Norden Junction. We arrived into East Croydon 3 late!! But I still made the required train! It too was running 3 late and it was 377519 and 377517 back to Blackfriars! I let a couple more trains pass before a pair of 387s rolled in. I rolled down to City Thameslink on 387106 and 387124. The next train was a dud but I was hopeful of the one after if i had worked moves out right.

Yes! 319430 with 319423! My last 319/4 and now down to 6 to clear the class (one is with Northern now though!!)! At Farringdon I decided to head back to Paddington. If I made the 1906 I had another little plan. No delays and I comfortably made the HST (43180 and 132). I bailed at Newbury for a new shack and off I went to get some dinner. Little surprise I went to a Spoons. Needed both in Newbury so a quick drink in the Hatchett Inn before dinner in the Diamond Tap.

43028 and 025 took me home with arrival on time. A great day which I thoroughly enjoyed. Not the cheapest of tickets I’ve ever bought at £98.60 for the day but I can live with that. I picked up the following

530 miles on the day and now on 9551 for the year (excluding tube or tram, still to be worked out).
15 heavy rail winners
7 tube winners
5 tram winners

3 new stations
9 new tram stops

7 new spoons (now on 659 visited)
7 new ales

Thanks to the FGW strike at the end of August my next planned trip has been cancelled so should now be out beginning of Sept.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Exceptionally good day there, especially for such an unplanned one! Nice good number of new Spoons in the book too, sounds like I'll need a new Directory and to actually keep track of new ones opening and old ones closing! How do you keep up to date with such news, Twitter?

I like the sound of the one on Cannon Street, it'll prove quite useful that! *starts replanning London moves for 1st September*

Well done on clearing the 319/4s, you're 15 319s ahead of me. I really need to make an effort to go and get them with Northern!

At nearly a ton it certainly wasn't a cheap bash there but very much worth it!

noddy1878

Established Member
Exceptionally good day there, especially for such an unplanned one! Nice good number of new Spoons in the book too, sounds like I'll need a new Directory and to actually keep track of new ones opening and old ones closing! How do you keep up to date with such news, Twitter?

I like the sound of the one on Cannon Street, it'll prove quite useful that! *starts replanning London moves for 1st September*

Well done on clearing the 319/4s, you're 15 319s ahead of me. I really need to make an effort to go and get them with Northern!

At nearly a ton it certainly wasn't a cheap bash there but very much worth it!

Normally I find out in the Wetherspoons magazine about the new ones but every now and again some of my mates seem to find out before they actually announce them officially.

Well at the moment 5 of the 319s i need are in London and as I said one is now with Northern. Hopefully I can try and get them before the move. It's like the LM 321s. Glad I got them before they went North.

No it wasn't cheap. Normally when I go to London it costs me £6 return plus travel card. But having been so long since my last bash I didn't really care! :lol:

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
Normally I find out in the Wetherspoons magazine about the new ones but every now and again some of my mates seem to find out before they actually announce them officially.

Well at the moment 5 of the 319s i need are in London and as I said one is now with Northern. Hopefully I can try and get them before the move. It's like the LM 321s. Glad I got them before they went North.

No it wasn't cheap. Normally when I go to London it costs me £6 return plus travel card. But having been so long since my last bash I didn't really care! :lol:

Search http://www.ucl.ac.uk/

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.