• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Noisy VT Voyager to be shifted

Status
Not open for further replies.

merlodlliw

Established Member
Wrexham/ Denbighshire /Flintshire triangle
The Virgin 57 at Wrexham,

Thanks as ever to the insiders who have written with the explanation for the Class 57 seen apparently involved in making a video at Wrexham, reported in our last issue.

When the early morning Voyager, which runs empty from Crewe to Wrexham as train 5J25, is waiting for platform access, it stands in Croes Newydd loop from 05:18 to 06:31, before forming 1J25 to London Euston. The engines have to be kept idling, as shutting them down would require the set to be put through the 'mobilising' procedure again. This requires the driver to walk alongside the train, which is not allowed, as the loop is alongside an unprotected main line open main line). Voyagers, with their large diesel engines under each coach, are not the quietest of trains, and there have been some comments from local residents about the early morning disturbance.

What has been suggested is that the train is driven up to the road bridge by the industrial units so a 'route video' was set up for training purposes should it be necessary to exit the loop at Shrewsbury end in order to reverse back to the station.

The Virgin train from London, formed of 221 108, arrived at Wrexham on 19 May with at least two people on board expecting to arrive at Holyhead. They were in the wrong section of the train which divides at Chester, and evidently oblivious to any instruction to get into the right portion.

Thanks http://www.nwrail.org.uk/nwnews.htm The story was all over the local papers today(non on the web yet) also stating the 0700 voyager to London runs due to the success of Wrexham Shropshire's London service.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

northwichcat

Veteran Member
The Virgin train from London, formed of 221 108, arrived at Wrexham on 19 May with at least two people on board expecting to arrive at Holyhead. They were in the wrong section of the train which divides at Chester, and evidently oblivious to any instruction to get into the right portion.

When I was at London Euston the announcements (automated) only referred to 'travel in the front train only for Crewe, Chester...Holyhead' and made no reference to the rear train so people could easily see two joined up and assume they are one train and not realise the rear train was due to break off at Chester.

voyagerdude220

Established Member
It's quite clearly announced on board and people get the chance to change trains at MKC, Crewe AND Chester!

Yes it certainly is announced very clearly onboard, I used the 18:10 Euston to Wrexham General from start to finish in early April in First Class, and heard many announcements about the two portions dividing at Chester before we got there.

They even delibrately did another announcement immediately after the Super Voyagers split on my set, along the lines of "if you can hear this announcement and are travelling towards Holyhead, you must leave us straight away".

The only thing I found to possibly cause confusion, was that the CIS at Crewe only displayed the train as going to Holyhead, with no notice given what so ever about the front four carriages going to Wrexham- not Holyhead. Whilst this should definately be changed to avoid confusion, the interior displays on the Super Voyager I was in only ever referred to it as the xx:xx to Wrexham General, calling at... [stations to Wrexham] - with no reference to Holyhead, so passengers should get the clue that something wasn't right if they wanted to go to the North Wales Coast.

Geezertronic

Established Member
When I was at London Euston the announcements (automated) only referred to 'travel in the front train only for Crewe, Chester...Holyhead' and made no reference to the rear train so people could easily see two joined up and assume they are one train and not realise the rear train was due to break off at Chester.

I regularly stand on the concourse at Euston awaiting the 1823 to Wolves and whenever they announce the 1810 the automated announcements always specify the train split as do the screens. The automated announcement announces the whole train to Chester where the train splits and then announces the split. The only time the split is not announced is when there is no split and the whole service goes to Holyhead (which AFAIK is only one S/Voyager anyway)

thefab444

Established Member
Indeed, the announcement at Euston should be along the lines of: "... Virgin Trains service to Holyhead and Wrexham General. Calling at: Nuneaton, Crewe and Chester where the train divides. Please travel in the front 5 coaches of the train for: Rhyl, Colwyn Bay, Llandudno Junction, Bangor and Holyhead. Please travel in the rear 5 coaches of the train for: Wrexham General only." Pretty clear which part of the train you need to be in.

I imagine something similar is announced at Milton Keynes Central and Chester, so I presume they boarded at Crewe which has manual announcements - likely to be lacking.

merlodlliw

Established Member
Wrexham/ Denbighshire /Flintshire triangle

As of the new timetable, the leading set departs Chester for Wrexham 6 minutes
before the Holyhead section leaves, this is to allow passengers more time to connect with the ATW out of Wrexham for local stations to Shrewsbury.

Status
Not open for further replies.