• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Non Protected Priv Chester to Euston tmmr

theageofthetra

On Moderation
I've got already an unused Shrewsbury to Euston via Birmingham open return leg

What's my best option (ideally on a Chester -Euston direct ) tomorrow.

Can I use that existing ticket for part of it?

Thanks.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
I've got already an unused Shrewsbury to Euston via Birmingham open return leg

What's my best option (ideally on a Chester -Euston direct ) tomorrow.

Can I use that existing ticket for part of it?

Thanks.
Yes - if you obtain a change of route excess to "Any Permitted" (which should cost you half the difference between the relevant fares, i.e. £2.40) then your Shrewsbury to London ticket becomes valid via Crewe, so you just need a Chester-Crewe ticket.

Perhaps ironically, a Chester-Shrewsbury ticket is actually cheaper than a Chester-Crewe ticket - but it's valid via Crewe. So if you want to take a direct Chester-Euston service, obtaining the above change of route excess plus a Chester-Shrewsbury ticket will likely be your cheapest option.

You could of course buy that Chester-Shrewsbury ticket and use your Shrewsbury-London ticket via Birmingham, without needing a change of route excess.

theageofthetra

On Moderation
Yes - if you obtain a change of route excess to "Any Permitted" (which should cost you half the difference between the relevant fares, i.e. £2.40) then your Shrewsbury to London ticket becomes valid via Crewe, so you just need a Chester-Crewe ticket.

Perhaps ironically, a Chester-Shrewsbury ticket is actually cheaper than a Chester-Crewe ticket - but it's valid via Crewe. So if you want to take a direct Chester-Euston service, obtaining the above change of route excess plus a Chester-Shrewsbury ticket will likely be your cheapest option.

You could of course buy that Chester-Shrewsbury ticket and use your Shrewsbury-London ticket via Birmingham, without needing a change of route excess.
Thanks will try that