• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

North Wales timetable 93/94

Status
Not open for further replies.

Garryefc1985

Hi all, long time member first time poster. I hope I don’t clog up the threads as I have been unable to find a resolution to my forthcoming question/s.
1) does anyone have a summer time table for north wales in the years 93/94 at all ?
2) did the Wirral line run summer trains direct to Rhyl in the 1980s ? If so where from ? Bhead north or rock ferry ?
3)if anyone knows the towyn area am I correct in thinking that where the fun fair is did the train lines used to be closer to the sea front ? Where the path way is now and behind the fair ?
Random questions I know and any help much appreciated

Sorry I was meant to ask regarding question 1 if no one can locate one where would I be best searching besides eBay ?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Veteran Member
Hi all, long time member first time poster. I hope I don’t clog up the threads as I have been unable to find a resolution to my forthcoming question/s.
1) does anyone have a summer time table for north wales in the years 93/94 at all ?
Got one at home, but won't be there for a week, hope someone else will have one if it's urgent.
2) did the Wirral line run summer trains direct to Rhyl in the 1980s ? If so where from ? Bhead north or rock ferry ?
It could only have been from Rock Ferry, and before 1985 when Hooton was electrified. Again can find a timetable.
3)if anyone knows the towyn area am I correct in thinking that where the fun fair is did the train lines used to be closer to the sea front ? Where the path way is now and behind the fair ?
This old map shows the line where it is today.
https://maps.nls.uk/geo/find/#zoom=...00&layers=102&b=1&z=0&point=53.30303,-3.54947

PS Welcome a oard!

Djgr

Established Member

Sorry I was meant to ask regarding question 1 if no one can locate one where would I be best searching besides eBay ?
As far as question 2 is concerned there were certainly special excursions in the 1970s from Rock Ferry to Rhyl and North Wales. I can't believe that there would be anything from Birkenhead North.

krus_aragon

Established Member
I have a Winter 93/94 GB timetable on the shelf, and can look up any specific pages/details for you.

The website 2d53.co.uk includes some timetables for the North Wales Coast in the 1980s (and earlier). A look at the Summer 1983 weekday timetable shows three trains from Rock Ferry, one for Bangor, two for Llandudno. Nothing from Birkenhead North.

The only part of the North Wales Coast line that has been significantly repositioned in the past century are the parts through Colwyn Bay/Mochdre and Llanfairfechan/Penmaenmawr, in order to make room for the A55 expressway alongside it. In Towyn, however, the sea wall alongside the railway was breached during the floods of 1990, and was subsequently rebuilt. This may account for your differing recollections.

Last edited:

Gloster

Established Member
I don’t think anything would have started at Birkenhead North. To take the route via Hooton would have involved a reversal at Bidston East Junction and then going through the Mersey Docks & Harbour Board’s lines to Canning Street North and on to Rock Ferry South Junction. In the opposite direction it would be necessary to go right through to Wrexham.

hexagon789

Veteran Member

I have an almost full set of BR timetables from 1974-1993 plus or minus a few others, of these I have Summer 1993 if that's any good?

Looking at Rhyl (Table 83), there are trains starting from Birmingham New Street, Manchester, Llandudno, Crewe, Warrington, London Euston and Blackpool North. Including some Fridays Only and Summer Saturday dated trains.

Looking at Birkenhead North (Tables 103 & 104) all trains run to Moorfields, New Brighton or West Kirkby without exception bar a few late/early short workings. There are no through workings to elsewhere listed.

Rock Ferry is similar, except destinations are Moorfields or Hooton.

alistairlees

Established Member
There was a (summer only?) early morning (aaround 09.00) Rock Ferry to Rhyl / Llandudno in 1970, as well as one later in the day (around 16.30). At least on the return from Llandudno it split from a Manchester Victoria service at Chester. These services ran (I think) until the mid 1980s.

There was also a Saturdays only Liverpool Lime Street to Llandudno service, via Runcorn and Frodsham, at the time.

Teithiwr

In relation to Q3 - the main line has always been in that position at this location. There was a siding however that ran along the line of the pathway, that was used to carry materials for sea wall maintenance, which was the responsibility of the railway. It can be seen on the 1911 map in the link above. It diverged

Status
Not open for further replies.