• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

North Yorkshire Moors Railway Food Recommendations

Status
Not open for further replies.

RichmondCommu

Established Member
G'day everyone.

I haven't been on the railway in decades but we're heading up there at the end of the month for the steam gala. To all those who know the line which is the best station for a lunch stop? We're driving up to Pickering on the Friday afternoon and intend to spend all day Saturday travelling on the line.

Any suggestions would be gratefully received.

Kind regards,

Richmond Commuter!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
There are a number of good eating places at Pickering and of course Whitby. There is a nice pub right by Grosmont Station which I think may do food. There is also the pub/hotel that is used in TVs Heartbeat as the Aidensfield Arms at Goathland, plus another couple of places in that village too. It may be best to call any of those places first as Saturday lunch times can be busy and more so if there is a gala. I think the cafes are good on Pickering and Grosmont Stations too. It is a good line and interesting to see the Whitby platforms too now. Have a good time.

bearhugger

Pickering or Whitby might be your best bet on a gala day. Although the Station Tavern at Grosmont and the Aidensfield Arms are good, the Aidensfield is a tad small and I've seen the Station be swamped. As Stevieboy1 suggests it might be worth ringing those up and booking beforehand. There is also the Mallyan Spout Hotel in Gosthland though I suspect that might be a bit more expensive.
There is a tearoom on the platform at Grosmont and there was a small marquee you were allowed to take food into.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
G'day everyone.

I haven't been on the railway in decades but we're heading up there at the end of the month for the steam gala. To all those who know the line which is the best station for a lunch stop? We're driving up to Pickering on the Friday afternoon and intend to spend all day Saturday travelling on the line.

Any suggestions would be gratefully received.

Kind regards,

Richmond Commuter!

Pickering will have more choice. The station hotel at Grosmont is decent and does a good pint but will be swamped as will the pub in Goathland.

If you do Whitby just get a bag of fish and chips and eat on the front. Don't go to the Magpie as a) it is rammed, b) expensive and c) recently went on fire. There are endless F&C options in Whitby. Most are superb.

Macwomble

If you do Whitby just get a bag of fish and chips and eat on the front. Don't go to the Magpie as a) it is rammed, b) expensive and c) recently went on fire. There are endless F&C options in Whitby. Most are superb.

If you do decide to eat "al fresco" watch out for the seagulls....they're lethal!

Darandio

Established Member

I agree, although the latest was that it won't be open until sometime in October at the earliest.

I'd recommend Mister Chips, it is superb. Over the swing bridge and follow the road around to the right.

Last edited:

bearhugger

I agree, although the latest was that it won't be open until sometime in October at the earliest.

I'd recommend Mister Chips, it is superb. Over the swing bridge and follow the road around to the right.

The takeaway part of the Magpie is open but the restaurant part is still closed. The fish from mr chips is delicious.

FQTV

Darandio said:

Couldn't agree more.

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
There is or was a Wetherspoons too almost opposite Whitby Station called the Angel I think.

fireftrm

Each station's tearoom is good!
Pickering - Black Swan top of the street past Barclays Bank
Goathland - NYMR Real Ale and Cider festival all weekend, 30 real ales and 5 ciders, with pies/peas and (hopefully) burgers/sausages off the bbq
Inn on the Moor, lovely refurbishment, lovely people, home cooked food, avoid the Goathland Hotel (read Tripadvisor about it if you don't believe me!)
Grosmont - station tearoom is best
Whitby - Great micro-pub on the station - the Waiting Room; Angel Hotel 'Spoons (OK but it is a 'Spoons), Hadleys (over the bridge) and Mr Chips round the corner, Abbey Wharf down the pedestrain lane on the left just over the bridge - all for Fish and Chips plus Abbey wharf has up to 10 real ales

Last edited:

RichmondCommu

Established Member
Many thanks for all the replies everyone; fantastic response as ever. I'm not sure that we'll get to Whitby as I'm hoping to travel behind as many locos as possible but if its a decent day we might have an hour at the seaside :)

mildertduck

For Whitby, if you don't want fish and chips, give Humble Pie and Mash a shout - although it's on the other side of the river, so be sure to check the bridge isn't going to open before crossing, as you wouldn't want to miss your train!

John Webb

Established Member
I don't know how the Gala will differ from the usual timetables, but the through trains to Whitby often exchange locos on their return to Grosmont - this can be seen and heard at https://www.nymr.co.uk/live-webcam, so you may travel behind two different locos on the one train anyway!

John Webb

matt

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Looking at the gala timetable the most time you would have in Whitby would be 25 minutes unless you want to stay several hours and miss out on a lot of the gals.

bearhugger

I don't know how the Gala will differ from the usual timetables, but the through trains to Whitby often exchange locos on their return to Grosmont - this can be seen and heard at https://www.nymr.co.uk/live-webcam, so you may travel behind two different locos on the one train anyway!

John Webb

As I understand it, NYMR only have a diesel loco ("Sybilia") and maybe 2 steam locos that are licenced / have relevant certs to pull passenger trains between Grosmont and Whitby so I imagine thats why they are swaped at Grosmont. I would hope that visiting steam locos would be able to do some services to Whitby too.
The timetable for the gala is at the following link: https://www.nymr.co.uk/Handlers/Download.ashx?IDMF=9270dd73-c88c-4671-91a6-7451c46f2b50

brstd4260

From my experience, Pickering is the best place, lots of eateries, not as "touristy" as Whitby. I would heartily recommend the "White Swan" about halfway up the main street up the hill towards the church. Their Ploughman's is the best (and biggest) I have ever had - mind you, you will need a good appetite to get through it.

As I understand it, NYMR only have a diesel loco ("Sybilia") and maybe 2 steam locos that are licenced / have relevant certs to pull passenger trains between Grosmont and Whitby so I imagine thats why they are swaped at Grosmont. I would hope that visiting steam locos would be able to do some services to Whitby too.
The timetable for the gala is at the following link: https://www.nymr.co.uk/Handlers/Download.ashx?IDMF=9270dd73-c88c-4671-91a6-7451c46f2b50

45212 will be available for Whitby duties if required.FTR undertaken at Grosmont.

Last edited:

fireftrm

From my experience, Pickering is the best place, lots of eateries, not as "touristy" as Whitby. I would heartily recommend the "White Swan" about halfway up the main street up the hill towards the church. Their Ploughman's is the best (and biggest) I have ever had - mind you, you will need a good appetite to get through it.
....and a wallet to match. My advice is avoid the White 'big pockets' Swan and go to the Black Swan instead

BlythPower

For fish and chips in Whitby, head to Royal Fisheries at the top end of Baxtergate just a couple of minutes from the station. Do not under any circumstances go to Mr Chips.

fireftrm

For fish and chips in Whitby, head to Royal Fisheries at the top end of Baxtergate just a couple of minutes from the station. Do not under any circumstances go to Mr Chips.
Interesting - I would have said the exact opposite! I really do not like Royal Fisheries and I am not alone in that view.....

Ploughman

Established Member
Interesting - I would have said the exact opposite! I really do not like Royal Fisheries and I am not alone in that view.....

I would go with the first comment and use the Royal.

However if feeling flush and want to eat in, I would use Trenchers over the roundabout from the station. The Seafood salad beats any other.

Darandio

Established Member

You certainly are not alone. I'm now wondering when BlythPower took over the Royal Fisheries.

fireftrm

I actually count the Royal Fisheries amongst the worst Fish and Chips I have had the displeasure of buying. Trenchers is nice for a sit in and does good takeaway, though Hadleys and Mr Chips are as good and possibly better value. Abbey Wharf is good to - but my advice is to AVOID Royal Fisheries at all cost!

philthetube

Established Member
Siggys is good and reasonably priced, but I think Mr. chips is the best.

I do think the thread title is slightly off topic

Last edited:

xc170

Looking forward to doing the NYMR DMU service over the winder!

BlythPower

Well, I've had always had good food from Royal Fisheries and mostly bad from Mr Chips. I still recall one evening, making my way across Bridge Street with a takeaway cod and chips from Hadleys when a bloke stopped me with 'Oh God, you've not been to Mr Chips have you?'. 'No', I replied, 'Hadleys, just there'. 'Thank God, I got fish and chips from Mr Chips last night and it was bl**dy awful!' he said.

The last time I got anything from from Mr Chips, I'd strayed past the 8pm closing time of the best places and it was the only one open. I got two portions of chips for Mrs BP and myself. By the time we'd picked out the green ones and the grey ones we'd less than a portion left between us. Never again! <(

fireftrm

Horses for courses, never had a bad chip, nor any problems with the fish at Mr Chips, Royal however has been disgusting on each occasion - once tried and I did again just to be sure I hadn't found them on an off days. Twice bitten and never again - plus I am not alone and others locally agree

Status
Not open for further replies.