• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Northallerton - Carlisle - Milton Keynes Saturday 17th November

Status
Not open for further replies.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Dear all,

I have a very odd journey to take on Saturday and it has me stumped.

I need to travel form Northallerton to Carlisle and then back to Milton Keynes. The only stipulation I have is that I must travel on the 1852 from Carlisle. On this service I can purchase a £14 advance single so I doubt this can be bettered.

However I need some advice on the Northallerton - Carlisle section. I need to get to Carlisle about 12:00. I am easy with routes and TOC's. The cheapest fare i can find is £26 but I am sure I found a cheaper one with a split at Newcastle.

Can any one offer any help?

PS Do Virgin offer some kind of weekend first? Can I upgrade with an advance single? If so how much will it cost on the above noted train and what kind of freebies can I expect? ;)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

LexyBoy

Established Member
Fares Advisor
You can save a few quid by splitting at Darlington. Train to Newcastle (£15 through or about £13 splitting at Darlington) then bus 685 (or AD122 but expect that'd cost more)to Carlisle could be an option if you don't mind the time.

Virgin's Weekend First deal is detailed here, I can't vouch for the accuracy of it though.

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Thornaby - Carlisle is £21.80 and is valid via Northallerton and then Newcastle. You can start short.

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
cheers - is it valid by any train?

Does it allow only Thornaby - Newcastle -Carlisle or am i able to go via Leeds?

Thornaby - Yarm - Northallerton - Darlington - Newcastle - Carlisle is a permitted route for this ticket so you can use any train that takes you direct along the ECML via Darlington. I don't think you are permitted to go via the coast as that causes doubleback at Eaglescliffe.

It is valid via Leeds. Although if you intend to go that way, I would recommend bringing relevant documentation with you as you are likely to be questioned.

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
chhers x 2 - will the routing guide do as proof?

It should be fine, as long as you are happy with explaining it clearly to the guard if needed.

Be aware that there is always a possibility that he/she might not agree after all that effort. I personally am yet to experience one guard who disagrees after fishing out the Routeing Guide from my bag, although YMMV.

Status
Not open for further replies.