• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Northern 150/9s

Status
Not open for further replies.

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
Hiya

Are these still happening?! I’m almost certain that a fair number of the Northern 150/1s were to be re-configured into hybrid 150/9s. Is this no longer happening?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Llama

Established Member
Not heard anything, however we have been told that the 150/0s will be transferred up here at some point. The plan is to run them on captive diagrams that start and finish at Newton Heath so I believe.

NorthernSpirit

Established Member
There was talk that Arriva Rail North were going to reform some of the class 150's into three car hybrids however since they've thrown in the towel, I pretty much doubt Northern Trains Limited doing it either.

IamTrainsYT

Since 150209 (bogless) was* on its way back to newton Heath Heath after a refurb I think that plan has gone out the window
* It got turned around and sent back to donny

Energy

Established Member
There was talk that Arriva Rail North were going to reform some of the class 150's into three car hybrids however since they've thrown in the towel, I pretty much doubt Northern Trains Limited doing it either.
I would imagine Northern Trains Limited would want to replace these trains with brand new ones, the 150s are getting old.

fgwrich

Established Member
Not heard anything, however we have been told that the 150/0s will be transferred up here at some point. The plan is to run them on captive diagrams that start and finish at Newton Heath so I believe.

The silly thing is, that 001/002 were signed by Northern to compliment the 150/9s. That's now not happening it seems, so like GW, They'll be stuck with the 2 x 3 car 150s amongst a mostly 2 car fleet.

On a side note, it's a real shame those two are leaving after all the investment that's been put into them - quite literally bringing them up to scratch. Always quite useful as a 158/9 (or Turdo) Stand in too.

JonathanH

Veteran Member
The silly thing is, that 001/002 were signed by Northern to compliment the 150/9s. That's now not happening it seems, so like GW, They'll be stuck with the 2 x 3 car 150s amongst a mostly 2 car fleet.

On a side note, it's a real shame those two are leaving after all the investment that's been put into them - quite literally bringing them up to scratch. Always quite useful as a 158/9 (or Turdo) Stand in too.

What is going to happen about all the services that Northern currently run with a 150 and a 153? Some of them appear to use platforms which won't take a pair of 150s and I thought that the 153s are likely to be on their way out fairly soon.

_toommm_

Established Member
What is going to happen about all the services that Northern currently run with a 150 and a 153? Some of them appear to use platforms which won't take a pair of 150s and I thought that the 153s are likely to be on their way out fairly soon.

Do the 150s have the basic form of SDO of either unit de-select, or the door forward/door backward release?

AMD

and without wanting to wander off topic, the 153s will be around for a while longer, a clue being how many train crew are being trained on them now..... (a lot more)

CC 72100

Established Member
Do the 150s have the basic form of SDO of either unit de-select, or the door forward/door backward release?

No, only local door or whole train, if Northern 150s are the same as ones I'm familiar with. Leaves you with a choice between 1 door and all doors.

JonathanH

Veteran Member
and without wanting to wander off topic, the 153s will be around for a while longer, a clue being how many train crew are being trained on them now..... (a lot more)
https://assets.publishing.service.g...ern-pb-class-153-2020-dispensation-letter.pdf

The operator reports to the Secretary of State following every 28 consecutive days (from 1 January 2020 until the dispensation expires) to update on passenger satisfaction with the vehicles and progress to remove the units from the timetable.

The permission granted by this dispensation to Arriva Rail North expires at 23.59 on 31 December 2020.

But if they aren't creating three-car 150s I don't see what maintains the capacity.

paddyb6

The /0 units will apparently be deployed on the Chester to Manchester route via Northwich, Altrincham and Stockport. Allowing other /1 and /2 to fill the Pacer diagrams

AMD

https://assets.publishing.service.g...ern-pb-class-153-2020-dispensation-letter.pdf

The operator reports to the Secretary of State following every 28 consecutive days (from 1 January 2020 until the dispensation expires) to update on passenger satisfaction with the vehicles and progress to remove the units from the timetable.

The permission granted by this dispensation to Arriva Rail North expires at 23.59 on 31 December 2020.
Interestingly they are being used on routes not in the dispensation letter and will see more use come May (as per the original timetable change plan).
From what i'm hearing we will still have them into 2021 unless there's a dramatic change in the fleet plan.

SteveyBee131

Interestingly they are being used on routes not in the dispensation letter and will see more use come May (as per the original timetable change plan)...
153s can be used on any route if coupled to something DDA/PRM compliant. The routes specified are where they can run solo or with something not compliant.

Status
Not open for further replies.