• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Northern 150's on the North Wales Coast

Status
Not open for further replies.

8J

Northern 150206 and 150269 have been loaned to ATW today and are operating on the North Wales coast. A good opportunity for a rare shot

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I had no idea this was going on so was rather taken by surprise when I was conveyed from Llandudno Junction to Llandudno by this:

WIN_20161105_10_05_54_Pro.jpg WIN_20161105_10_05_32_Pro.jpg

The signaller at Llandudno Junction certainly took the opportunity to take a photo as I saw him standing on the steps up to his box smartphone in hand :lol:

8A Rail

Established Member
"Loan" is questionable in someways, as both TOC's although seperate franchises are operated by the same company "Arriva". Probably happen again I suspect

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
"Loan" is questionable in someways, as both TOC's although seperate franchises are operated by the same company "Arriva". Probably happen again I suspect

I have heard of a similar point before when, although ATW and ATN are owned by the same owners, they have to be treated as independent from each other.
I may be mistaken.

Kite159

Veteran Member
At least ATW have been pro-active in borrowing a couple 150s from Northern to allow additional units in the south for the rugby tonight.

I bet it raised a few eyebrows along the way. Although I guess even 3+2 seating is better than no seating if the service got cancelled

Philip

On Moderation
So what are the chances of a Welsh 158 or a 175 coming over to ARN for a brief period?

Bevan Price

Established Member
So what are the chances of a Welsh 158 or a 175 coming over to ARN for a brief period?

Not much chance of a 175 working for Northern - no drivers "know" them. And I think that many Northern drivers will also be unfamiliar with 158s.

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
I was under the impression earlier they were working in multiple but apparently working singly on 2 of the diagrams that are providing an hourly service.

craigybagel

Established Member
Not much chance of a 175 working for Northern - no drivers "know" them. And I think that many Northern drivers will also be unfamiliar with 158s.

Guards too - both need to sign the stock. Note also that 150/2s were used - there are a few differences to the 150/1s and ATW staff only sign 150/2.

Philip

On Moderation
What about any remaining Piccadilly and Blackpool traincrew who worked/signed 175s when they last worked that way?

Philip

On Moderation
They won't sign them anymore, it was ages ago- 10+ years?

Not that long ago. There were still 158s working for TPE 10 years ago and they went before the 175s. Even so, how long can traincrew go without working a unit type before having to be retrained and passed ou00t again on them?

Last edited:

Shaw S Hunter

Established Member
It appears some posters have forgotten that there are plenty of Northern traincrew working 158s everyday. The problem that would arise from ATW 158s being loaned to Northern is the revised cab layout following fitment of ETCS equipment. Note however that ATW 150/2s have been loaned to Northern in recent years on at least two occasions without issue.

Even so, how long can traincrew go without working a unit type before having to be retrained and passed out again on them?

Rule of thumb is six months and then the traction type is normally removed from the traction knowledge card. However before a decision is taken on what might be required to officially restore that knowledge a training needs analysis would take place, the outcome of which would not be the same for every situation.

craigybagel

Established Member
Not that long ago. There were still 158s working for TPE 10 years ago and they went before the 175s. Even so, how long can traincrew go without working a unit type before having to be retrained and passed ou00t again on them?

Rule of thumb is six months and then the traction type is normally removed from the traction knowledge card. However before a decision is taken on what might be required to officially restore that knowledge a training needs analysis would take place, the outcome of which would not be the same for every situation.

1 year for traction, 6 months for routes at ATW. Way too long for anyone at Northern to work a 175, and as for 158s....

The problem that would arise from ATW 158s being loaned to Northern is the revised cab layout following fitment of ETCS equipment. Note however that ATW 150/2s have been loaned to Northern in recent years on at least two occasions without issue.
......that would indeed be a major issue. ERTMS is switched on in ATW 158s even when running away from the Cambrian (it still monitors things like the trains speed, intervening if it goes over 90mph).

Bevan Price

Established Member
It appears some posters have forgotten that there are plenty of Northern traincrew working 158s everyday. The problem that would arise from ATW 158s being loaned to Northern is the revised cab layout following fitment of ETCS equipment. Note however that ATW 150/2s have been loaned to Northern in recent years on at least two occasions without issue.

Had not forgotten - but it is mainly "Yorkshire"-based services that use 158s - they don't go to Liverpool or Manchester Piccadilly on Northern services. Nor to they appear on Newcastle-based services. Their only appearances on the "Lancashire" side of the Pennines are on Calder Valley & York - Blackpool services.

Shaw S Hunter

Established Member
Had not forgotten - but it is mainly "Yorkshire"-based services that use 158s - they don't go to Liverpool or Manchester Piccadilly on Northern services. Nor to they appear on Newcastle-based services. Their only appearances on the "Lancashire" side of the Pennines are on Calder Valley & York - Blackpool services.

If you're looking for universal traction on Northern then that would be Class 142 and even that doesn't quite go everywhere. Everything else has its own area of operation, some of which are wider than others. So any inter-TOC short-term leases will tend to only be apparent in particular locations.

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
150269 worked for ATW again running as 1Z99 0015 ex Chester to Hawarden this morning to rescue the last Bidston to Wrexham (2Z27) which slipped to a stand on Hawarden Bank.

6Gman

Established Member

It always annoys me (slightly) when a hire is described as a loan. Despite common ownership I suspect there will be a charge. So a hire, not a loan.

I suspect.

:)

Status
Not open for further replies.