• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Northern admit 15% of Penalty Fares incorrect on grounds of ticket machine faults

Status
Not open for further replies.

scrapy

Established Member
- The fact that Northern's Revenue officers (from 2013 onwards) were paid X minutes overtime for each TIR/prosecution report is an unforgivable one - NO operator should pay commission on the number of TIR reports submitted - it encourages stupidity and removes sensible discretion (based on information from their former supervisor under STM).
I may be wrong don't believe Northerns revenue officers get commission based on the number of reports submitted. If they have reports to write/complete they are required to complete before they go home and are paid for that time if it takes the over their contracted hours.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Halwynd

The fact that Northern's Revenue officers (from 2013 onwards) were paid X minutes overtime for each TIR/prosecution report is an unforgivable one - NO operator should pay commission on the number of TIR reports submitted - it encourages stupidity and removes sensible discretion (based on information from their former supervisor under STM).

Well, if that is true it is outrageous for the reasons you state and ought to be investigated further by a higher authority.

KirkstallOne

I thought Northern also contract Carlisle Support Services Ltd to issue penalty fares on their behalf. Indeed there is a glowing endorsement from Mr Wade featured prominently on their website.

Hard to believe there is not a performance component of this contract linked to the number of penalty fares issued.

KirkstallOne

Wouldn't the measure be the number that are correctly issued?
I would love to see the contract but without that or some insider information it would be pure speculation what the arrangement is.

There is actually a case study on the website:

“In 2017 Carlisle Support Services were awarded the contract to provide revenue protection services across the entire network. The service deploys a range of
revenue roles including:
• Gateline
• Enforcement teams
• Ticket sellers
• Ticket checkers
• Ticketless travel surveys.”

And another quote from Mr Wade in his previous role who has had a significant promotion since. Maybe old habits die hard:

“Arriva Rail North are delighted to partner with Carlisle Support Services to deliver a key element of our
customer service and revenue protection activity, as we continue our journey to modernise and to achieve
demonstrable improvements for our customers. Carlisle have demonstrated a strong partnership ethos and
have a track record of both delivery and positive employee engagement”.

Jason Wade, Head of Loss Prevention at Arriva Rail North

Established Member
I may be wrong don't believe Northerns revenue officers get commission based on the number of reports submitted.
My opinion, paying them X minutes overtime per TIR is a pseudo - commission.

Pile of bookups / TIRs = load of overtime.

Status
Not open for further replies.