• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Northern and TPE announcement expected soon - possibly now 10th December

Status
Not open for further replies.

sprinterguy

Established Member
Just to clarify, are these regional express units for former TPX services included in the 120 new carriages required in the ITT ? Or are they separated out such that the winning bid can use existing/cascaded stock ?
We don't know yet. The winning bidder could either specify the 120 new carriages (or at least a part of the order) as regional express stock, or operate regional express services using refurbished existing or cascaded stock.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
Just to clarify, are these regional express units for former TPX services included in the 120 new carriages required in the ITT ? Or are they separated out such that the winning bid can use existing/cascaded stock ?

Not specified. Up to the TOC to propose what spec the new trains are and where they will work.
The ex-TPE services have to be of similar quality to the existing services (I don't think 1st class is explicitly specified though).

northwichcat

Veteran Member
I've just come across this job advert... "Rolling Stock Contract Manager" based in Leeds. The agency is looking for a candidate who will "...be responsible for liasing with the supplier of the new rolling stock..." amongst other things.

Clearly the agency are not letting on about the identity of the recruiting company, but this does *perhaps* offer an insight into what we will see very soon!

Some adverts posted by recruitment agencies are because the agency thinks they'll be vacancies soon to become available and they want to get suitable CVs to their clients immediately when it does come up ahead of other recruitment agencies.

The Ham

Established Member
Some adverts posted by recruitment agencies are because the agency thinks they'll be vacancies soon to become available and they want to get suitable CVs to their clients immediately when it does come up ahead of other recruitment agencies.

Quite, and even if they don't get to use those CV's for that purpose they can often use their contacts (or just bombard any vaguely relevant companies) to get other organisations to consider people for posts which may not have reached advertising status but was half being considered.

northwichcat

Veteran Member
Simple, Effective and we can see everything.

Although if there's two running together you have no idea what's happening on the other unit and you can't walk through to find out. My outward journey on Saturday was on a pair of 150/2s and the guard did walk through to the front unit on one occasion to do a ticket inspection.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Quite, and even if they don't get to use those CV's for that purpose they can often use their contacts (or just bombard any vaguely relevant companies) to get other organisations to consider people for posts which may not have reached advertising status but was half being considered.

Yep and if that happens they'll phone candidates saying the non-existent vacancy has been filled but they have an alternative which they think might be of interest.

Class 170101

Established Member
This is likely to be enabled by either additional loco haulage on Northern or another TOC.

This assumes there is loco hauled stock available. It's in use in Scotland right now covering for bridge repairs currently expected to last until January. May be for longer.

JaJaWa

Established Member
I'm not sure what trains anyone would want to poach from up here! :lol:

Believe it or not, the only trains technically compatible with the Heathrow Express ones do run into Leeds!

northwichcat

Veteran Member
Believe it or not, the only trains technically compatible with the Heathrow Express ones do run into Leeds!

The 333s are secured until 2020

DfT said:
The Department requires a Franchisee who will:
i. Lease the current franchisee’s fleet of 16 4-car Class 333 EMUs from the Start Date until at least 24 July 2020;

Saint66

Ah yes, of course! Though that didn't stop a pacer appearing in place of a 333 on the Airedale yesterday, lucky me! :lol:

northwichcat

Veteran Member
Does that include what were the few direct TPE Manchester Airport to Windermere services and if so, what units will Northern Rail be using on those services.

Initially anything they deem suitable from what's available but by the end of 2019 they must have a fleet of Regional Express standard trains to operate Manchester Airport to Blackpool/Barrow/Windermere/Liverpool (via Warrington) services plus any other services they choose to designate as Regional Express services.

The Regional Express trains must have 2+2 seating, tables, reliable air conditioning, a trolley service, wifi and plug sockets. Non-regional express standard trains can't be diagrammed to be used on regional express routes but regional express standard trains can be diagrammed to be used on any service.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
To start with I'd expect 156s, I don't think 142s are allowed. But possibly the new regional express stock once it comes in.

158s would be more suitable but using 158s would require some crew training and a fleet re-organisation.

Last edited by a moderator:

northwichcat

Veteran Member
Which doesn't make sense as a short-term measure.

We don't know what the winning bidder's long term rolling stock plan is, they might be looking at rearranging rolling stock regardless, just like Northern Rail did in 2004. Currently a number of 158s have to be used in West Yorkshire so Northern allocated the rest to Neville Hill for consistency. However, the next franchise will be free to use 158s on whichever routes they choose.

Last edited by a moderator:

northwichcat

Veteran Member
Or the same old 185s transferred to Northern (until new stock arrives).

There won't be enough to cover all services unless TPE get something additional, with 156s being loaned from Northern to TPE currently to cover 3 diagrams. The latest rumour seems to be Northern will get additional loco-hauled sets to go somewhere so that TPE can use the remaining North West 185s to replace the remaining Chiltern bound 170s.

jayiscupid

Does anybody know when details of the winning bids will be released? I was under the impression that it was on Friday (4th December 2015).

Scotrail88

Sounds like Thursday now for announcement.
If Another loss for First they will be nearly out of the rail game - will hit them bad

Robertj21a

On Moderation
Sounds like Thursday now for announcement.
If Another loss for First they will be nearly out of the rail game - will hit them bad

I can see First Group being 'out of the game' anyway before too long, rail or not.

WatcherZero

Established Member
Rail industry does use a 13 'period' calendar of equal sized 28 days actually.

XC90

Don't you know about the move to a 13 month calendar?

13 x 4 week periods. It's irrelevant though because if a new franchisee is selected they always start paying out from the first day of the takeover. Plenty of time for TUPE anyway.

Sunday to Saturday is the full working week.

Established Member
Tony Miles on WNXX is saying its going to be in the morning i.e. Wednesday 9th at 07:00

Last edited:

F Great Eastern

Established Member
Any leaks who it is?

I've also heard First are out, although it's just through the grapevine, rather than from an insider.

Status
Not open for further replies.