• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Northern ban e-scooters, hoverboards and e-skateboards

Status
Not open for further replies.

High Dyke

Established Member
Northern is introducing a ban on all e-scooters, hoverboards and e-skateboards across its trains and stations in the North of England.

The ruling, which comes into effect on Thursday (1 December 2022), is due to the potential fire risk posed by the lithium batteries in these devices, which can overheat and catch fire.

Electric wheelchairs and e-bikes are exempt from the ban – as are mobility scooters for those with access needs, as long as they are registered with the train operator’s Mobility Scooter Permit Scheme – which checks devices by a range of criteria to make sure they are safe to use on-board.

Tricia Williams, chief operating officer at Northern, said: “The safety of our customers and staff is our number one priority.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Ashley Hill

Established Member
At a safety briefing we were shown CCTV footage of one going up in flames on an LU service. It wasn’t just the fire that was surprising but the smoke and fumes prior to ignition,they filled the coach within seconds. They are both heavy and bulky and passenger’s tend to squeeze them into the airline seats with them. According to the attached clip TfL are reviewing their policy.

Need2

All well and good if it’s ‘policed’.
Down my way there’s virtually no gate lines and nobody gives a damn!

Runningaround

The way things are e-scooters are a viable alternative to train travel on short journeys if I turn up and find the train cancelled, I could probably make the journey on an e-bike or scooter in the time that the next service would have. I wonder if banning them means that option is removed and therefore the passenger will buy a ticket for the next train.

lyndhurst25

Established Member
If this ban is about Li-ion battery safety, then how come e-bikes are still allowed?

Bungle73

On Moderation
If this ban is about Li-ion battery safety, then how come e-bikes are still allowed?
Exactly. It makes no logical sense. Some things with Li-ion batteries are banned, but others are not. Some things are banned, but others aren't because it's not convenient to ban them. Phones and laptops have such batteries, why aren't they banned?

skyhigh

Established Member
Phones and laptops have such batteries, why aren't they banned?
Phones and laptops generally use high quality batteries from reputable suppliers. Same with ebikes. That's not so often the case with escooters unfortunately.

Bungle73

On Moderation
Phones and laptops generally use high quality batteries from reputable suppliers. Same with ebikes. That's not so often the case with escooters unfortunately.
Exhibit A: Samsung Galaxy Note 7.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member

I don't believe that finding an exception to the rule means it is not the case that phones and laptops generally use high quality batteries etc.

Meanwhile you can't ban phones and laptops from trains without meaning most users would have to switch to cars, but very few people need to take an e-scooter on the train given that it'd be illegal to ride it to your destination from the station.

Bevan Price

Established Member
Exactly. It makes no logical sense. Some things with Li-ion batteries are banned, but others are not. Some things are banned, but others aren't because it's not convenient to ban them. Phones and laptops have such batteries, why aren't they banned?
Because it would be unenforceable unless you searched every passenger and their luggage.
You can see escooters, etc.

In addition, many Northern trains are too small to have seating space wasted by things like scooters, skateboards, etc.

skyhigh

Established Member
If you'd actually taken the trouble to read what I'd written, "phones and laptops generally use high quality batteries".

And if you want to use the example of the Note 7, once it was realised there was an issue, recalls were issued and remote software updates were issued to disable potentially harmful devices. If the new iPhone had the same issue I imagine Apple would take similar actions to remove harmful devices as soon as possible. The same would apply to HP or Lenovo if their laptops had the same issue

Would you get that from an unknown online seller of what is essentially sub-standard electronic junk on wheels? No, they'd just vanish and never be seen again and the dangerous products would stay in use.

muz379

Established Member
Lithium battery fires once they get started are especially difficult to extinguish - and can actually be made worse with the types of extinguishers often to hand . They also emit quite a lot of heat and smoke .

I suspect it is probably harder for an operator to ban e-bikes than e scooters which are already in the conditions of travel as down to operators discretion .

In addition to the points made about phone and laptop batteries generally conforming to set standards , they are also much smaller so can be slipped in pockets and bags/luggage . What do you propose searching everyones bags etc ?

LOL The Irony

On Moderation
Lithium battery fires once they get started are especially difficult to extinguish - and can actually be made worse with the types of extinguishers often to hand . They also emit quite a lot of heat and smoke .
They can also keep burning for several days after the fact, depending on the size of the size and quantity of the batteries.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Moderator note: Some posts moved to the following thread:

Last edited by a moderator:

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
What exactly is a 'hoverboard'? Thought that this was just a prop, as used by the Marty McFly character in the second of the "Back to the Future" films?!

bengley

Established Member
Ebike batteries are often no better than these so called dangerous scooter batteries. You can buy a cheap Chinese ebike with a crap battery and take it on a train no problem. It makes no sense.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Ebike batteries are often no better than these so called dangerous scooter batteries. You can buy a cheap Chinese ebike with a crap battery and take it on a train no problem. It makes no sense.

Most ebikes are not cheap Chinese tat. Whereas almost all escooters are, because there is no legitimate market for them.

(They may be made in China, indeed they probably are, but that doesn't make them tat - it's all about the level of quality control specified).

Established Member
Most ebikes are not cheap Chinese tat. Whereas almost all escooters are, because there is no legitimate market for them.

Not sure how you get to that conclusion. You can buy them from major retailers such as Argos and Currys, so at least those ones presumably aren’t tat.

They can be legitimately used on private land (I accept many aren’t, but that’s beside the point).

EMR are also banning them imminently.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
You can buy them from major retailers such as Argos and Currys, so at least those ones presumably aren’t tat.

Those ones not, but most of them are bought online and are.

Once there's a UK standard for legal ones, with UKCA or CE certification on the battery, they'll likely be unbanned.

Established Member

Once there's a UK standard for legal ones, with UKCA or CE certification on the battery, they'll likely be unbanned.

Difficult to argue there’s no legitimate market when they’re stocked in major retailers, though?

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Difficult to argue there’s no legitimate market when they’re stocked in major retailers, though?

I'd not say so. There's nowhere for most people to use one legally, thus selling them is grossly irresponsible. Really the Government missed a trick by not regulating sale as well as use.

Need2

May I ask where you get your information from regarding the above and your previous statement that if you banned mobile phones on trains and planes then no one would travel?

North-Valiant

My Dad had a bulging Li-Ion battery in the summer, he decided to do a misinformed scientific experiment and stuck a rake through it in the back garden. It promptly filled garden with smoke and we had to leave because we couldn't breathe, I imagine there is potential for people to die if one blew up inside of a train

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I imagine there is potential for people to die if one blew up inside of a train

How many people stick rakes through lithium batteries on trains? This really is getting tenuous.

When they fail by themselves there's usually a bit of warning by them getting very hot and starting to smoke. Enough time on a train with opening windows to dump it out, or if not enough time to move away from it into another coach.

North-Valiant

How many people stick rakes through lithium batteries on trains? This really is getting tenuous.

When they fail by themselves there's usually a bit of warning by them getting very hot and starting to smoke. Enough time on a train with opening windows to dump it out, or if not enough time to move away from it into another coach.
i imagine the answer to your first question is probably zero, there will likely be a news story the first time it happens.

Although if we are talking about a smoking e-scooter, are they quite heavy and difficult to throw out of things? Genuine curiosity as I've never used one

Status
Not open for further replies.