• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Northern - Blackburn depot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fozz94

Forgive me I have tried looking at other threads but I couldn't find what I was after. Thrilled to have an interview for conductor at Blackburn! I just wondered what the depot was like. I'm assuming routes are Blackburn - Blackpool, Blackburn - Colne/York and Blackburn - Manchester.

Just wondered what the shift structure is thrre and also how exactly 'Links' work

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

We call Blackburn ‘The Penthouse’.
The depot is in the glass office over the road from the station and was a multimillion pound investment in the area. As you can imagine for a depot that is only a few years old it’s really nice inside.

As for routes. Blackburn Guards get about quite a bit.

Both ways to Manchester
Colne -Pre - BPS
Pre - Ormskirk
Blackpool North
They also currently work MCV - Kirkby which is a hangover from the service working BBN-Kirkby at some point.

They are likely to soon do BBN-Leeds and talk of MCV-Southport to.

Only one guards link and everyone does the same work.

Hope that helps.

Fozz94

That's really useful and I'm surprised they would serve the likes of Kirby and Ormskirk, but good to know there's a bit more variety!
What's the earliest /latest shifts like, I'm guessing something like 5am - 1am

Hugo3000

You want to be accurate in your interview so I've corrected the some info in the above post:

There's not one but two links although both sign the same work.

Blackburn have never signed to Kirby but already have Southport on the card although, apart from Sundays, this work went in December. I also don't think there's any Blackpool North work left although they still sign it.

Most of the work is Clitheroe to Rochdale and the triangle of Colne, Ormskirk and South. There's some work to Manchester via Todmorden. All in all, still quite a limited route card.

Any future additions is all just rumour with nothing set it stone. Leeds has been suggested since the depot opened but AFAIK there's nothing in the pipeline.

I think the earliest book on is around 0430 and latest finish is around 0045.

Finally, I've never heard of the depot being referred to as the 'Penthouse' and certainly wouldn't refer to it as that at your interview! It's a very nice depot though and Blackburn crew are very fortunate to have it which has led to some green eyed monsters elsewhere!

Traction is 142, 150/1+2, 153, 156 and 158.

Good luck in your interview. Make sure you have background info re Arriva and Northern (no harm in clarifying what is currently going on with the franchise during your interview).

Finally, I've never heard of the depot being referred to as the 'Penthouse'

Well yes as you clearly work there this shows just how sheltered a life you lot live!!

Quite surprising there are two guards links. But then I assume you need extra spaces for all the sofa warming you lot do!

My apologies for the lack of accuracy, the Northern depot I work at actually puts a full shift in daily!

Fozz94

You want to be accurate in your interview so I've corrected the some info in the above post:

Blackburn have never signed to Kirby but already have Southport on the card although, apart from Sundays, this work went in December. I also don't think there's any Blackpool North work left although they still sign it.

Most of the work is Clitheroe to Rochdale and the triangle of Colne, Ormskirk and South. There's some work to Manchester via Todmorden. All in all, still quite a limited route card.

Any future additions is all just rumour with nothing set it stone. Leeds has been suggested since the depot opened but AFAIK there's nothing in the pipeline.

Finally, I've never heard of the depot being referred to as the 'Penthouse' and certainly wouldn't refer to it as that at your interview! It's a very nice depot though and Blackburn crew are very fortunate to have it which has led to some green eyed monsters elsewhere!

Good luck in your interview. Make sure you have background info re Arriva and Northern (no harm in clarifying what is currently going on with the franchise during your interview).

If they have the same work why do they have more than one link? I'm just intrigued to know the difference - is it the shift patterns?

I'm also surprised they don't go further afield given the routes go all the way to York etc but I guess that's me looking from an outsiders position

Tbone20

Hi fozz do you know if Blackburn conductors for northern are on a four day week. Thanks

Efini92

Established Member
Well yes as you clearly work there this shows just how sheltered a life you lot live!!

Quite surprising there are two guards links. But then I assume you need extra spaces for all the sofa warming you lot do!

My apologies for the lack of accuracy, the Northern depot I work at actually puts a full shift in daily!
I’ve heard of it called the ivory tower but never the penthouse. What depot are you based at?

Status
Not open for further replies.