• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Northern Class 170's

Status
Not open for further replies.

Harvey B

yeah I know :p I went on two different 170s for two different TOCs today, I do like them :D
The Northern 170's are my second favorite Northern units (Coming second to the Class 333's). And out of Northern's 170s compared to First Transpennine Express' old 170s I think the Northern ones are just better looking in general (mainly around the cab areas) but I still think Northern made a good decision in getting some 170's

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

YorksDMU

I’ll be honest and say that I love the 170’s that Northern have and try and arrange as many of my journeys around them. Perhaps, one day, Northern might have one or two more, but I’m just thankful they have what they have.
I hope they will be used on either the new, from December, Bridlington, Hull and York services, or the Scarborough, Hull and Sheffield services. One can live in hope.

Kieran1990

I’ll be honest and say that I love the 170’s that Northern have and try and arrange as many of my journeys around them. Perhaps, one day, Northern might have one or two more, but I’m just thankful they have what they have.
I hope they will be used on either the new, from December, Bridlington, Hull and York services, or the Scarborough, Hull and Sheffield services. One can live in hope.

Sneaking suspicion they will be used on the three below from Dec timetable change
-Harrogate Loop
-Halifax-Leeds-Selby-Hull
-York-Hull-Bridlington

YorksDMU

Thank you, I hope you are right. It would mean I would be able to use them over my local line from Hull to Bridlington as well as to York.

Harvey B

Thank you, I hope you are right. It would mean I would be able to use them over my local line from Hull to Bridlington as well as to York.
They run:
Sheffiled-Doncaster-Hull-Bridlington
Leeds-Doncaster (peak service only) (im not sure if they still work on that route)
Harrogate Loop
Leeds-York (via Cross Gates) (I'm not sure if they still work that route either)
Leeds-Sheffield (Peak diagram only to transfer onto the SHF to BDT services)
York to Hull (Peak diagram to transfer onto SHF to BDT services) (not sure if they run in passenger service, the same goes to the LDS-SHF services)

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
There are of course a number of additional vehicles "equivalent to Class 170" to be acquired by Northern in the future (I forget the exact numbers and dates).

What exactly qualifies as 170-like (will the 175s be okay with their end doors, for example) and where such units would come from, is another question!

EIKN

There are of course a number of additional vehicles "equivalent to Class 170" to be acquired by Northern in the future (I forget the exact numbers and dates).

What exactly qualifies as 170-like (will the 175s be okay with their end doors, for example) and where such units would come from, is another question!
As far as I know , the class 175 is related to the troubled class 180 , now having a model railway but being new to the hobby , I was wondering ( a bit off topic) if anyone knows the place that will make you a class 175 and 180 , plus has anyone done the ' plastic pig' ( powered) , I think in the new Southwest rail colours they look like a new design ) but appear to be stolen from a HST set with a driver's cab and under slung engines added ??.
Not sure of the class , I'd have thought Bachman or dapil might have done them.
Anyway back to topic , I'd read in some rail mag that we might get cascaded 158, 170 and 175, some from greater Anglia some from her and the rest of TFW replace the 175 with loco hauled MK4 + DVT sets
I do think the 150-156 has had its day ok the latter is a far cry from the evil pacer , but nothing for me beats a Class 158 , with its intercity interior, they do remind me of a MK3 slightly , inside.
And the 170's ride really well and Re comfy

Adam0984

They run:
Sheffiled-Doncaster-Hull-Bridlington
Leeds-Doncaster (peak service only) (im not sure if they still work on that route)
Harrogate Loop
Leeds-York (via Cross Gates) (I'm not sure if they still work that route either)
Leeds-Sheffield (Peak diagram only to transfer onto the SHF to BDT services)
York to Hull (Peak diagram to transfer onto SHF to BDT services) (not sure if they run in passenger service, the same goes to the LDS-SHF services)

The 170 doesn’t appear on the Leeds to Doncaster anymore now the 331s are here.
They don’t run on the Leeds to York and only did 1 peak time service before.
They have never run on Leeds to Sheffield and are swapped at York and on an evening a Hull to Leeds Via Selby runs as well as an ECS on a morning from Holbeck to Hull

Harvey B

The 170 doesn’t appear on the Leeds to Doncaster anymore now the 331s are here.
They don’t run on the Leeds to York and only did 1 peak time service before.
They have never run on Leeds to Sheffield and are swapped at York and on an evening a Hull to Leeds Via Selby runs as well as an ECS on a morning from Holbeck to Hull
Thanks, do the 170s run Leeds to Hull via selby in passenger service or is that an ECS move too?

anamyd

On Moderation
As far as I know , the class 175 is related to the troubled class 180 , now having a model railway but being new to the hobby , I was wondering ( a bit off topic) if anyone knows the place that will make you a class 175 and 180 , plus has anyone done the ' plastic pig' ( powered) , I think in the new Southwest rail colours they look like a new design ) but appear to be stolen from a HST set with a driver's cab and under slung engines added ??.
Anyway back to topic , I'd read in some rail mag that we might get cascaded 158, 170 and 175, some from greater Anglia some from her and the rest of TFW replace the 175 with loco hauled MK4 + DVT sets
I do think the 150-156 has had its day ok the latter is a far cry from the evil pacer , but nothing for me beats a Class 158 , with its intercity interior, they do remind me of a MK3 slightly , inside.
TfW are replacing the 175s with brand new DMUs in 2022.

Entertexthere

Unfortunately, there are no class 175 or 180 models, however you can easily purchase resin cabs to modify the mk3 into a "plastic pig." Back to topic now!

Adam0984

Thanks, do the 170s run Leeds to Hull via selby in passenger service or is that an ECS move too?
As far as I know there’s only them 2 from Leeds area 1 in each direction. There’s minimal need for them to actually visit Neville Hill as all maintenance can be done at Hull Botanical Gardens and to a lesser extent at Sheffield

Harvey B

As far as I know there’s only them 2 from Leeds area 1 in each direction. There’s minimal need for them to actually visit Neville Hill as all maintenance can be done at Hull Botanical Gardens and to a lesser extent at Sheffield
Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.