• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Northern Class 195: Construction/Introduction Updates

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Established Member
Not directly from what I'm aware, they'll release 150s which will mostly be the ones replacing pacers

Whilst that's generally true there are certainly a few routes I can think which still frequently get Railbuses but should get 195's or 158's going forward, plus other routes which will step up to 195/331's, 158's and 170's etc from other sprinter stock, so despite the negativity from some people complaining that there will still be a lot of 150's on Northern overall there should be significant improvement.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
Not directly from what I'm aware, they'll release 150s which will mostly be the ones replacing pacers

There are Pacers working Manchester (Airport/Victoria/Hazel Grove) to Blackpool, some of which will go to 331 operation, others to 319.
Some other routes may go from Pacer to 195, but mostly to 150/156/158.

xotGD

Established Member
That's how Northern are selling it. But as said prior, they're releasing other units to replace Pacers.
Exactly. For example Pontefract line services will 'upgrade' from bendies with 2+2 seating to 150s with 3+2 seating.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
As both the 195s and the 331s are quite close to service it has been decided that it makes most sense to split the discussion of the two types out into their own separate threads. The discussion around the constructions and introduction of the 331s can therefore be found in a new thread located here. This thread therefore should be used for discussions of the 195s.

Many thanks,
ainsworth74

Rail Blues

I know, as soon as I saw the image, I thought the moaning minnies and alignment obsessives will be out in force in a second - they didn't disappoint.

I think those are special seats aimed at visiting Southerners so they don't have to suffer the visual trauma of having to look at the North during their journey. In fact they're charging a premium for them.

Joking aside, if in the interests of using the space efficiently seats don't line up exactly with the window then so be it. If I am given a choice between standing and a seat with a slightly restricted view, I'll take the latter every single time as would most normal people.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
By and large it's not about space efficiency, it's about priority seats, how they are specified and where they have to go. If you align the layout you end up with a priority airline pair and another airline pair with almost no legroom.

Take the ATW Class 158 layout. It near enough uses the original spacing for most seats, and a good many are aligned, but the priority seats knacker the layout a bit.

lammergeier

The jumper cables seem to hang fairly low between the vehicles, hopefully they won't be too vulnerable.

Seeing it moving and in context really brings home how much of an improvement these things are going to be over the current stock. Really looking forward to having them in service.

I understand the jumper cables had been unclipped (and so are hanging lower than the normal position) as immediately after this move the vehicles were uncoupled in anticipation of being transported to the Czech Republic by road.

dubscottie

Do they have a small, separate engine for auxiliary power? They sound like the Irish 29000 and NIR 3k units.

Genset going full pelt and the main engine idling.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I think we should call them "boats", as the upswept body towards the cab makes them look like one.

Also slightly reminiscent of these:
800px-Baureihe_641.jpg

DB class 641

xc170

I'nm nont 10n0% sunre abnout tnhe livnerny. It'sn a bnit subntle. Coulnd perhnaps ndo wnith a fnew mnore "n"s arounnd thne plance.

Livery seems to suite these quite well, looking forward to a ride on these.

Also, I think your keyboard is faulty :D

lammergeier

I understand the jumper cables had been unclipped (and so are hanging lower than the normal position) as immediately after this move the vehicles were uncoupled in anticipation of being transported to the Czech Republic by road.
Makes sense, thanks for info.

I'nm nont 10n0% sunre abnout tnhe livnerny. It'sn a bnit subntle. Coulnd perhnaps ndo wnith a fnew mnore "n"s arounnd thne plance.
I agree about the "n's." It's a bit fisher price.

whhistle

On Moderation
There's another forum I frequent that seems to want to put n's everywhere when posting.
No keyboard fault, it's the forum software...

samuelmorris

Established Member
There's another forum I frequent that seems to want to put n's everywhere when posting.
No keyboard fault, it's the forum software...
I imagine that's a dig at the livery with how many instances of the letter n there are dotted around in random places. The livery as a whole I think looks good but the random Ns everywhere... Not a fan.

Mollman

Established Member
Still think there is too much white (or whatever they claim it is) on the livery. Spotted two refurbished 150s together the other night, one looked ex-works but the other was going grey.

Status
Not open for further replies.