Northern Class 331: Construction/Introduction Updates

Discussion in 'Traction & Rolling Stock' started by BMIFlyer, 31 Jan 2018.

1. BMIFlyer

BMIFlyer Member

Mod Note: Posts #1 - #9 were originally in this master thread.

Here is the first just about completed class 331 - still awaits tables, etc.

IMG_5951.JPG

IMG_5952.JPG IMG_5953.JPG

2. Registered users do not see these banners - join or log in today!

Rail Forums

3. 61653 HTAFC

61653 HTAFC Established Member

Great seat/window alignment in that second image...(!)

EDIT: Please note the above comment was intended to be tongue-in-cheek, I should've used a smiley though! The real surprise from a PR point-of-view is that they didn't use a photo of a seat with better alignment. Can't imagine Beardy promoting the Pendolinos by tweeting a photo of a seat next to a wall!

Last edited: 31 Jan 2018
  4. aformeruser

aformeruser Veteran Member

Come on you should know the primary objective is to squeeze in as many rows of seats as possible, not to provide an arrangement for passenger comfort!

5. 61653 HTAFC

61653 HTAFC Established Member

Of course, silly me! Still, those seats look as though they've a decent shape and amount of padding. Appearances can be deceptive but hopefully they'll be fairly comfortable.

6. Roast Veg

Roast Veg Member

It surprises me that the cab meets current crashworthiness specs based on the beefy front ends we've seen on the 345s/385s/700s, but I'm sure it does! Very smart looking train.

7. Geeves

Geeves Member

Looks great! I was wondering how long it would be before the seat to window moaning crew arrived #eyeroll. As has been said plenty of times the majority of passengers don't actually care. A seat on a reliable new train is more important than a view.

8. YorkshireBear

YorkshireBear Established Member

Unfortunately a feature of many trains these days. Northern need seats I am not surprised to see the seats and windows not aligned.

9. aformeruser

Regular passengers probably don't care that much as they've seen the view many times before. However, on more touristy type routes people probably care about views.

It's also worth noting passengers complain if they have to have to stand when it appears there's not as many seats as there could be as anyone who's been on a Metrolink M5000 will probably know.

10. samuelmorris

samuelmorris Established Member

I have to say that does look very smart inside and out. Look forward to seeing them in action.

11. Bletchleyite

Bletchleyite Veteran Member

That looks like a real step change in quality, I also particularly like the colour scheme. Good to see that the ScotRail style contoured "ironing board" cushion has been used.

Re window alignment the present spec for priority seats near enough precludes the whole coach being correctly aligned. Those bays will have been off because of the requirement for an airline pair with priority spacing right next to the vestibule.

12. Bletchleyite

A bit OT, but I agree - the present M5000 layout looks like someone took a bunch of seats and threw them at the floor. It is not at all well thought out - though probably difficult to get right on a tram that is half the length it should have been. (A 4-"car" tram could have had two sections with few seats for standees, wheelchair users etc, and two sections with lots of seats for longer distance passengers - just like the excellent Sheffield layout).

13. Bletchleyite

Abellio are guilty of the same - possibly they just think people don't care about window alignment any more. Indeed, the photo used for the Abellio EMU mockup shows seats misaligned to a window layout that isn't even the real one - it shows a huge expanse of plastic that the real layout doesn't have, so almost makes it look deliberately worse!

14. Bantamzen

Bantamzen Established Member

I wasn't aware the 331s were getting tables as well as the 195s? Is this for all of the order or just the 4 car units?

15. aformeruser

The 331s are all being built to the same spec rather than having a sub fleet done to Northern Connect standards.

16. mikemcniven

mikemcniven Member

Looking forward to these coming into service, should be a real passenger improvement for anyone travelling on the routes they are scheduled to operate on

17. Starmill

Starmill Events Co-ordinator

Hopeless window alignment. I would have preferred two toilets, at least on four car sets. Aside from this on the whole they look good.

A huge improvement over the 319s but that's not exactly difficult.

Sounds like total nonsense to me. There is other furniture that takes up space - and the gaps between the windows are not the same where there's a door. Other modern trains have managed it.

18. Bantamzen

Bantamzen Established Member

Ah, I didn't know that, thanks. Should be popular with the early morning business folk!!

19. jcc

jcc Member

20. LNW-GW Joint

LNW-GW Joint Veteran Member

Nice wide gangways in the long internal shot - you can see right through the train.

21. 507021

507021 Established Member

I think that looks excellent, a massive improvement on what's in the fleet at the moment.

22. aformeruser

I notice in the comments Richard Clinnick says the seating is a bit better than that on the XC 170s.

23. Agent_Squash

Agent_Squash Member

Does anyone know what the contoured ironing board is in comparison to the Grammer E3000s in the 185s?

24. samuelmorris

samuelmorris Established Member

I don't understand that, wouldn't you expect a press photo (assuming that's what this is) to show the best part of the train rather than the worst? Unnecessarily showcasing the worst aligned windows on purpose seems a little odd...

25. LunchSociety

LunchSociety Member

As I live on the Kent coast, I am unlikely to travel on these units much if at all but I am pleased to see how good they look. I think they will be a step-change in quality for the areas they will serve and its nice to see some new rolling stock for Northern rather than the usual cast-offs! Here's hoping the introduction goes smoothly!

26. Bletchleyite

So you'd think. But this mockup:

[​IMG]
    Aventra mockup

shows a misaligned bay against a very large area of plastic, which if you look at the actual photo of the train exterior here:
    http://railcolornews.com/2017/09/13...aventra-for-greater-anglia-mock-up-presented/

actually does not exist - it's a wall of glass near enough.

I genuinely don't understand why you would make the mock-up look worse than the real thing, but it very much appears that they have done precisely that. It's quite possibly so they can show more seating variants in one area (the end part of the train is not as big as shown in the mock-up - it's big enough for one bay plus wheelchair space), but it looks appalling in a way the real thing won't, and has no doubt invited loads of unnecessary complaints.

At least the Northern example is the actual train...but again, why show the rubbish bit in publicity?

27. Jamesrob637

Jamesrob637 Member

Definitely looks smart! Any news on 195 progress?

28. Sheepy1209

Sheepy1209 Member

That does look good, let's see if we manage to keep them on the Blackpool / Manchester Airport route a bit longer this time... ( Was 156s, then replaced by 175s. They were nicked off us for Wales and we got the 156s back. But then came the 185s - ah, at last, a modern train again. Only to be replaced with 156s (most of the day) when the route went back to Northern!!!).

29. Loop & Link

Loop & Link Member

Are we allowed to say these seats are ‘new’?

30. superalbs

superalbs Established Member

That looks really really good, and the ironing boards look quite padded also.

31. D365

D365 Established Member