• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Northern Class 331: Construction/Introduction Updates

Status
Not open for further replies.

IanXC

Emeritus Moderator
Apologies if this has been covered else where, but looking at the photos are the carriages "walk through" like a Class 700/345 rather than with doors at each end?

Going by the video mock ups they've uploaded to YouTube I'd say they're more like Pacers. No doors or such, but not open like a 700/345 either.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Established Member
Going by the video mock ups they've uploaded to YouTube I'd say they're more like Pacers. No doors or such, but not open like a 700/345 either.

Looking at the walkthrough video I think they may have doors, I'm not sure I would read too much into the mockup video.

pemma

Veteran Member
Based at Allerton..will they be used on any actual Liverpool services? Or just purely ECS around there?

Apparently some Liverpool-Crewe via Chat Moss and Manchester Airport services will get them, alongside 319s.

pemma

Veteran Member
Liverpool-Crewe via Chat Moss? Is that a new one?

The Chat Moss stopper is being diverted to Piccadilly once additional TPE service on Chat Moss starts and joined on to the Piccadilly-Airport-Crewe service. It'll be a slow way of getting from Liverpool to the Airport or Crewe but will retain direct Piccadilly and Airport links for stations currently served by the Liverpool-Airport via Chat Moss service.

deltic08

On Moderation
A huge improvement on the state of affairs in a typical 150. In the case of the CAF units, the pillars are thin, the windows are large and the layout quite open plan: I can't imagine anyone really having a problem with the seating layout.
No draught screens either side of doors. Cold blasts in winter. Brrrrrrrrrr.

squizzler

Established Member
The inside frame bogies look almost identical to the Bombardier Flexx Eco range. I have not heard of Bombardier supplying these so I assume they are an in house design from CAF.

According to Roger Ford the development of an inside frame bogie proved quite a steep learning curve for Bombardier, and Siemens made quite a song and dance about it. I am surprised that we don't hear much about the running gear as far as the CAF stock is concerned. Apart from Stadler trains, who keep the mass of bogies simply by having fewer of them, having an inside frame bogie seems to have become de-riguer for the UK passenger market.

johntea

Established Member
One plug socket per two seats is slightly annoying, I suppose at least there is *some* power! It would have been nice had they maybe have had the central plug socket then maybe a USB socket either side just for keeping your phone charged or whatever

Domh245

Established Member
That managed to get there quite quietly. The first 195 had a fair bit of fanfare as it made its way to vekim but this one didn't!

pemma

Veteran Member
I think it looks quite neat with the panoramic windscreen. Shame I probably won't be on one very often with Northern are putting the inferior 319s on routes previously operated by the 323s.

Which routes get 319s will change again next year and which routes get the 769s long term will depend on how much wiring Network Rail do.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
Geeky fact, but I've just noticed that the pantograph is closest to the DMS than the TS (on the 4 car variants).
That's a little surprising as it means two four-car units coupled might only have the pans a bit more than two car lengths apart. This is obviously unaviodable with the three-car versions, but you'd think they would maximise the spacing where they can.

Domh245

Established Member
That's a little surprising as it means two four-car units coupled might only have the pans a bit more than two car lengths apart. This is obviously unaviodable with the three-car versions, but you'd think they would maximise the spacing where they can.

Are there any plans to run them as 8 cars?

driver_m

Established Member

Weren't the 378s done the same way when they were stretched from 3 to 4?

Domh245

Established Member
Weren't the 378s done the same way when they were stretched from 3 to 4?

You are correct in that the pantograph on the 4-car 378s was next to a driving vehicle rather than in the centre of the formation, but given that the 378s aren't going to work in multiple (barring rescue situations) and generally are fairly low speed, the close proximity of the pantographs won't have been an issue. Quite the opposite if the train could likely end up working in multiple at 100mph!

Tam

I was back at Velim today, the unit has been moved to the other end of the yard since last night (and yes, it is a 331, not a 195 :) ). As usual, they seem to put stuff like other trains and bushes in the way just to annoy photographers. Here are some photos - I have others, just let me know if there's an appetite and I will upload them too

P1440751.JPG P1440756.JPG P1440758.JPG P1440762.JPG P1440765.JPG P1440770.JPG P1440804.JPG .

Domh245

Established Member
Blimey! Do you think they could have put any less equipment underneath that trailer vehicle!? I wouldn't be surprised if the early designs only had a single bogey! :P

notlob.divad

Established Member
Blimey! Do you think they could have put any less equipment underneath that trailer vehicle!?
Don't let Grayling know, he will be getting then to add diesel generator rafts, battery rafts, or whatever his new alterative fuel source is this week. ;P

Status
Not open for further replies.