• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Northern Class 331: Construction/Introduction Updates

Status
Not open for further replies.

ABB125

Established Member
2*331s are perfect length, and much more suitable for Blackpool North - Hazel Grove/Manchester Airport services (pre-covid) than the 2 and 4-car DMUs (and 319s) they replaced. My fear is if they order 4-car 331s that we couldn't have 7 or 8-car formations (even with ASDO), so we could go back to 4-car operations, which isn't ideal.
Simple solution: order 24 class 331 driving vehicles, and convert the 4-car units into 24 3-car units so that all the class 331s are 3-cars. Thus all the Blackpool etc stuff on the Manchester side can stay as 6-cars, and the Aire valley can have its 6-car trains as well.

There are plenty of 4-car EMUs looking for a home. We don't need to buy any more!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Simple solution: order 24 class 331 driving vehicles, and convert the 4-car units into 24 3-car units so that all the class 331s are 3-cars. Thus all the Blackpool etc stuff on the Manchester side can stay as 6-cars, and the Aire valley can have its 6-car trains as well.

There are plenty of 4-car EMUs looking for a home. We don't need to buy any more!

You'd also need to fit a pantograph well, pantograph and transformer - that was why I suggested it might be easier to put those vehicles in Class 195s instead, as while that would require an engine fitting it wouldn't require a well cutting in the body.

ABB125

Established Member
You'd also need to fit a pantograph well, pantograph and transformer - that was why I suggested it might be easier to put those vehicles in Class 195s instead, as while that would require an engine fitting it wouldn't require a well cutting in the body.
Oops! I didn't think of that. How hard can it be? :lol:

IanXC

Emeritus Moderator
I can't help but wonder if this is a case of ask for the Earth and be satisfied with the Moon.

EMR 158s to replace 155s and some of the worst 150s?
EMR 156s to replace 153s and some of the worst 150s?
WMR 350/2s to replace 333s and east 331s to go west and replace 323s (plus a further order?)
EMR 158s to replace 170s for fleet commonality and to give EMR a consistent 170 fleet including Nottingham to Liverpool?

supervc-10

Would extending existing 331s not be a better idea? Given the expense of cabs etc? Turn some of them into proper 6 car (not 2x3 car), reducing the amount of doubled up working. Although I feel like spending the money on bi-mode or diesel units, and taking the 350/2s, would be a better option.

Jamesrob637

Established Member
Budget no issue huh. Frankly you are dreaming.

Add the remaining 9 323s to the Northern fleet and send 323s to Yorkshire to replace the 333s if they are in a bad way corrosion-wise.

Gotta get rid of most of the 15x and 319s this decade. I didn't specify by when exactly :D

Energy

Established Member
Gotta get rid of most of the 15x and 319s this decade. I didn't specify by when exactly :D
New build 195s are impossible, straight DMUs are too difficult politically and few people will want to finance them now the 2040 date has been announced.

153s, 155, and 156s can be replaced by 158s, 150s will just have to wait until electrification as end door stock is not a great replacement for them.

Anyway this is off topic, you should talk about it in the speculative thread...

supervc-10

New build 195s are impossible, straight DMUs are too difficult politically and few people will want to finance them now the 2040 date has been announced.
If there was a bi-mode version of the Civity, that could work well for Northern.

superkev

Established Member
Northerns quest for unit standardisation may be something to do with the new fleet planning manager recruited from British Airports. I think she was suprised trains could not all couple and work together as previous times. Hmm.

As for more 331s etc personal view is there I bit old hat now with operators like Anglia and Wales buying low floor Flirts with level access and pop out ramps.
As I have a disabled friend this is a bit of a hobby horse of mine and I remember being disappointed when Arriva north bought prob cheaper CAFs rather than Flirts.
K

py_megapixel

Established Member
As for more 331s etc personal view is there I bit old hat now with operators like Anglia and Wales buying low floor Flirts with level access and pop out ramps.
As I have a disabled friend this is a bit of a hobby horse of mine and I remember being disappointed when Arriva north bought prob cheaper CAFs rather than Flirts.
Indeed, but FLIRTs are unfortunately the exception rather than the rule. The Bombardier & Hitachi stock, even stuff ordered after the Stadlers were announced for Anglia and Merseyrail, is still high-floor and requires manual boarding ramps.

superkev

Established Member
Indeed, but FLIRTs are unfortunately the exception rather than the rule. The Bombardier & Hitachi stock, even stuff ordered after the Stadlers were announced for Anglia and Merseyrail, is still high-floor and requires manual boarding ramps.
Yes. Si sad that when every bus has a ramp many powered and coaches and lots of taxis are wheelchair friendly sad that the railway is so far behind.
Getting off topic.
K

Jamesrob637

Established Member
Well the advantages of booked doubles on Hazel Grove to Blackpool showed their true colour today

06:00 Hazel Grove to Blackpool North was cancelled due to a fault, however the sets ran empty to BPN and two return diagrams are running as 3-car today. Meaning disruption only to one very early morning service, which is probably only busy in summer months anyway.

D6130

Established Member

Not quite such a simple solution as it might appear.......most of the intermediate stations on the Airedale and Wharfedale lines only have 4 car platforms, so they would need extensive and expensive platform lengthening.

Neptune

Established Member
Not quite such a simple solution as it might appear.......most of the intermediate stations on the Airedale and Wharfedale lines only have 4 car platforms, so they would need extensive and expensive platform lengthening.
The plans for 6 car on here is to use ASDO rather than platform lengthening.

py_megapixel

Established Member
That could create complications trying to ensure that passengers are in the right part of the train....especially on evening trains out of Leeds and Bradford.
It only takes the passenger to be overcarried, or even almost overcarried, and they and probably their friends will never make the mistake again.

Clear communication of what the correct carriage is for any given station is all that's needed, and people will get used to it

southern442

Established Member
It only takes the passenger to be overcarried, or even almost overcarried, and they and probably their friends will never make the mistake again.

Clear communication of what the correct carriage is for any given station is all that's needed, and people will get used to it
Yes. It has worked for many, many years down south, so it would be fine.
With regards to extra fleet, I would say that replacement of 319s should probably be priority, I'd imagine the 323s have quite a bit of life left in them despite their age, and the 333s are fairly new, but it seems to be the attitude nowadays that if you don't have a fleet of 100 identical multiple units then that makes you satan, so perhaps this is what will happen.

Halish Railway

Established Member
With regards to extra fleet, I would say that replacement of 319s should probably be priority, I'd imagine the 323s have quite a bit of life left in them despite their age, and the 333s are fairly new, but it seems to be the attitude nowadays that if you don't have a fleet of 100 identical multiple units then that makes you satan, so perhaps this is what will happen.
Whilst the 333s are fairly recent, being built post privatisation, they do seem to be in a bit of a state mechanically, despite them otherwise being in excellent condition in terms of passenger experience.

It’s not a good sign that one of the units (333009) was out of service for about a year.

Wolfie

Established Member
Whilst the 333s are fairly recent, being built post privatisation, they do seem to be in a bit of a state mechanically, despite them otherwise being in excellent condition in terms of passenger experience.

It’s not a good sign that one of the units (333009) was out of service for about a year.
Yup. I know that people question how the similar 332s were maintained but their track record does make you wonder. I would be unsurprised to see the remaining 323s join Northern.

Halish Railway

Established Member
Yup. I know that people question how the similar 332s were maintained but their track record does make you wonder. I would be unsurprised to see the remaining 323s join Northern.
If they do take on the other nine units from WMR that they didn’t originally intend to take then that still wouldn’t be enough to replace the 16 333s.

Another point regarding the taking on more 323s (or any other cascaded EMU) is that in the Rail article, Northern stated that they wanted more 331s for uniformity, therefore meaning that Northern’s aims won’t be accomplished.

Wolfie

Established Member
If they do take on the other nine units from WMR that they didn’t originally intend to take then that still wouldn’t be enough to replace the 16 333s.

Another point regarding the taking on more 323s (or any other cascaded EMU) is that in the Rail article, Northern stated that they wanted more 331s for uniformity, therefore meaning that Northern’s aims won’t be accomplished.
What Northern want and what HMT will fund could well be two very different things.

Bikeman78

Established Member
Littlehaven and Billingshurst spring to mind as examples of four car stations that 12 car trains stopped at. Both been lengthened to eight cars now I think. No doubt there were/are many more examples.

D6130

Established Member
Class 331’s out and about today at Victoria today due to Castleford being closed.
Forgive me, but I can't quite see how a line closure at Castleford could affect the appearance of class 331 units at Manchester Victoria. Unless something miraculous has occurred in the last 24 hours, Castleford is not electrified!

jonesy3001

Established Member
Forgive me, but I can't quite see how a line closure at Castleford could affect the appearance of class 331 units at Manchester Victoria. Unless something miraculous has occurred in the last 24 hours, Castleford is not electrified!
Think he means the Castlefield corridor.

Status
Not open for further replies.