• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Northern Class 331 East:West unit swap

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

reecestrains

Don't forget there's 16 333 units in total.

So plenty there.

First 333 in service on the Leeds - Doncaster line this morning: 19/03/24 2B03 0625 Leeds to Doncaster (link is to Realtime Trains).
Now that is rare! West Yorkshire through Bradford and North Yorkshire up to Skipton is an everyday occurance. But seeing a 333 down in South Yorkshire towards Doncaster is pretty rare!

Last edited:

Harvey B

When will the 333s become permanent on the Doncaster route this year? Or will that be next year?

xotGD

Established Member
Is it just me who finds reference to the "triangle" confusing?

There are four corners, not three: Leeds, Bradford, Ilkley and Skipton. So the "quadrilateral".

The only triangle I can see is Shipley Station.

Harvey B

I Think that might be the reason why they call it "The Triangle" but i'm not sure.

Can anyone confirm?

Also, why are Shipley routes referred to as "The Triangle" but Earlestown routes aren't?

Adam0984

You leave Leeds and visit 3 places where you change ends and go somewhere different, same whichever place you start at

reecestrains

When will the 333s become permanent on the Doncaster route this year? Or will that be next year?
As mentioned before, when more of the 331/0's arrive in Yorkshire and the December timetable change, that's when it'll be happening.

As this rate, it looks like the 333's will still have the 'Doncaster Train' announcements on them by the time they start doing Doncaster.

Harvey B

8thAs this rate, it looks like the 333's will still have the 'Doncaster Train' announcements on them by the time they start doing Doncaster.
The one's by Dan Struass/Martin Oldfield? (Depending on who you ask)

What's happened with Train FX on the 333s? Has that plan been quietly dropped?

Neptune

Established Member
The one's by Dan Struass/Martin Oldfield? (Depending on who you ask)

What's happened with Train FX on the 333s? Has that plan been quietly dropped?
It’s still going to happen. Maybe a little patience required? It will be reported once it starts, asking all the time doesn’t make it happen any quicker.

jonesy3001

Established Member
Personally I like the recent announcements on the 333s, it keeps you alert, when he's announcing "the next stop will be menston" a few times after setting off from guiseley.

Last edited:

Neptune

Established Member
Personally I like the recent announcements on the 333s, it keeps you alert, when he's announcing the next stop will be menston a few times after setting off from guiseley.
The current announcements came with the units when built in 2000.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member

There are four corners, not three: Leeds, Bradford, Ilkley and Skipton. So the "quadrilateral".

It might not be geometrically accurate, but it's not really "confusing". If there's discussion about electric units being used "on the triangle" in West Yorkshire there's only one place it could be (unless something very secretive has been going on at Queensbury under cover of darkness!).

It's a useful shorthand, it doesn't have to be perfect.

Neptune

Established Member
What’s wrong with simply and politely asking a question these days?
Nothing, but when it’s constantly being asked it gets a little grating. When the work starts on the first unit I’m sure it’ll be reported on here, until then a little patience is needed.

Harvey B

When the work starts on the first unit I’m sure it’ll be reported on here, until then a little patience is needed.
What's actually the reason for the delay (bearing in mind that the first unit was supposed to be done in November)?

Neptune

Established Member
What's actually the reason for the delay (bearing in mind that the first unit was supposed to be done in November)?
I’ve no idea to be honest as legacy fleet upgrades is not the area of the company that I work in. It will be done though as it is funded.

xotGD

Established Member
It might not be geometrically accurate, but it's not really "confusing". If there's discussion about electric units being used "on the triangle" in West Yorkshire there's only one place it could be (unless something very secretive has been going on at Queensbury under cover of darkness!).

It's a useful shorthand, it doesn't have to be perfect.
I'll stick with saying Airedale and Wharfedale.

Anyway, the platform extensions at Bingley are still barriered off, but work is essentially complete. I am looking forward to the 6 car 331 formations in place of 333s.

InkyScrolls

I'll stick with saying Airedale and Wharfedale.
You'll be the only one. 'The Triangle' is used extensively by (Northern) railway staff, even in official documents and messages from management.
Anyway, the platform extensions at Bingley are still barriered off, but work is essentially complete. I am looking forward to the 6 car 331 formations [alongside] 333s.
Fixed that for you!
You leave Leeds and visit 3 places where you change ends and go somewhere different, same whichever place you start at.
Well, not at Skipton. There are no direct Skipton - Ilkley trains (unsurprising as they would take more than twice as long as the bus).

Adam0984

Well, not at Skipton. There are no direct Skipton - Ilkley trains (unsurprising as they would take more than twice as long as the bus).
Most Skipton diagrams include a visit to all 3 points, Leeds, Bradford and Ilkley. Previous route round the triangle would go Skipton-Bradford-Leeds-Ilkley so within a couple of hours you've done the 3 points away from the depot

xotGD

Established Member
Most Skipton diagrams include a visit to all 3 points, Leeds, Bradford and Ilkley. Previous route round the triangle would go Skipton-Bradford-Leeds-Ilkley so within a couple of hours you've done the 3 points away from the depot
Four corners. Quadrilateral.

Meanwhile, the 17.19 Leeds - Skipton Airedale service dropped a 331 today. I was happy, as I grabbed the single seat next to the front cab, but it looked cosy for standees in the vestibule. Presumably even more wedged down the back.

This is a service that needs upgrading from 4 to 6, not cut to 3.