• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Northern Crush

Status
Not open for further replies.

Burkitt

All the new stuff/projects goes to London then. Better? :)

The vast majority of the new trains in London over the past decade have been to replace thirty to forty year old slam door trains. The two major deliveries of new trains for London currently underway are to replace the fifty year old Metropolitan line trains, thirty to forty year old District and Circle line trains, and forty year old Victoria line trains. Trains outside London are all much newer than those which have been or are scheduled to be replaced in the capital. Should London still be running slam door trains, which were largely replaced long ago elsewhere, and keep Underground stock in service until it's into its sixties?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MCR247

Established Member
The vast majority of the new trains in London over the past decade have been to replace thirty to forty year old slam door trains. The two major deliveries of new trains for London currently underway are to replace the fifty year old Metropolitan line trains, thirty to forty year old District and Circle line trains, and forty year old Victoria line trains. Trains outside London are all much newer than those which have been or are scheduled to be replaced in the capital. Should London still be running slam door trains, which were largely replaced long ago elsewhere, and keep Underground stock in service until it's into its sixties?

Yes, and 378s are replacing slam door stock?
377/5s are replacing slam door stock?
the NXEMUs are replacing slam door stock?
350/2s replaced slam door stock?
Class 379s will replace slam door stock?

I mean only the london area would the DfT think this
Shall we order some new stock for London?
Yeah, but while we are waiting, lets order some stock now
Great, then the older trains that get replaced can go up north somewhere!
Yeah, we can electrify a line thats not too long to run them on.

I understand that the main new order was to replace MK1 stock, the most dangerous stock in the country, now why dont we replace pacers? Because London hasn't got new trains in over 1 year :eek::shock:

Waverley125

it's time for a major DMU/EMU replacement programme, which must itself be coupled with a look at future electrification and stock cascades. The pacers must go, certainly, but one would hope that their replacements would be EMUs due to greater electrification around urban centres e.g. Manchester-Preston, Leeds-Knaresborough etc.

With the MML being electrified to Sheffield it would seem sensible to do Sheffield-Moorthorpe junction & Sheffield-Doncaster, as this will allow MML trains to run on to York & Leeds. This then retires a bunch of 142s & 15xs as they're being replaced with electrified stock.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Should London still be running slam door trains, which were largely replaced long ago elsewhere, and keep Underground stock in service until it's into its sixties?

:lol: You can probably tell from my avatar that I'm not averse to slammers!

Generally though as I've said on other threads I think it was a mistake to force the railway to replace so many of it's it's slammers in one go - particularly as many were only built in the 1970's and weren't knackered. They should have been used until life expiry with a gradual replacement programme (as had been happening anyway from the early 1980's). This would have allowed some new build to go towards catering for the increase in passengers.

Skie

I think once firm plans are in place for the NW electrification then the TOC's and DaFT will begin to make noises about new trains to take advantage of the electrification and cascade the diesels to lines left powerless that desperately need them.

Status
Not open for further replies.