• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Northern :: More carriages for commuters

Status
Not open for further replies.

David

Established Member
Fifty more carriages are being put on some of the busiest Northern Rail routes providing more than one million extra seats a year, the company says.

The second-hand stock will see more capacity on trains serving five key urban centres: Leeds, Liverpool, Manchester, Newcastle and Sheffield.

Nothern Rail said this should ease overcrowding on commuter routes.

The company added that it expected an increase of more than one million passengers annually.

Among the peak-time commuter routes receiving extra capacity are: Marple to Manchester, more than 1,200 extra seats; Leeds to Manchester, 1,100 extra seats; Clitheroe to Manchester, 350 seats; and Liverpool to Manchester, 300.

"The additional trains have been planned to serve the most crowded train services as a first priority," said the company.

"We have been able to analyse customer demand by using our automated on-train counting equipment."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-manchester-16136583

Sounds to me as though they are completely recasting their diagrams. 15x replacing pacers in the North West, and (pairs of) pacers replacing 15x in the North East ....

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

sprinterguy

Established Member
I really hope that paired up 142 formations do become a frequent sight on peak services through Newcastle. With the four additional 142s at Heaton, there should be plenty of opportunity for it. Just a shame that they're ultra-retro, rustic bus seat units, but at least I'll have the chance to relive my childhood when I travel along the Durham Coast or the Tyne Valley. :D

callum112233

It was nice to see a 4 unit 142 on the 16:30 Southport-Huddersfield service today. I was hoping this service would benefit from the extra carriages.

Status
Not open for further replies.