• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Northern online assessment

Status
Not open for further replies.

Established Member
Unusual for them to be in there on a Saturday. Must be fighting the backlog.

Nice to see it's not just us at the coalface that lose most of our weekends.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

kleb15

Ye i received one too, passed the online assessment, so we'll see what happens now, not gettin my hopes up though

Sammy h

I haven't heard anything off Northern yet, thought I did quite well with the assessment as well. Tick tock...

Established Member
Sammy, are you after the Sheffield Driver post? I think that was advertised about a week behind the Newton Heath job, so shouldn't be long.

Sammy h

Ah cheers 185, so many threads and posts I am following on here I'm bound to get confused! It is the Sheffield post I am talking about, fingers crossed!!

kleb15

Just wondering, this Newton Heath job does anybody know approx how many applicants there were, and if anybody failed the online assessment or did everyone more or less get through that stage?

Clx-

Kleb, I failed (by quite a distance from reading here) - only answered 32 questions.

I'm going to tell myself it's because I'm left handed as opposed to actually stupid!

Established Member
To be fair, I reckon there were quite a few below that score, and I believe the test is a little unfair, as you are only given one example to play with for ten seconds or so before the test starts proper.

On the upside, you know what your sitting for next time, and with practice prior to a re-test, you could probably almost double that score. :)

kleb15

Kleb, I failed (by quite a distance from reading here) - only answered 32 questions.

I'm going to tell myself it's because I'm left handed as opposed to actually stupid!

Oh right sorry to hear that, so did they send you an email then actually saying you hadn't passed the online assessment? Cos like i say i'm just wondering if they say everyone has passed the assessment then actually look at result and start short-listing people for an interview

Beninem

Ive just done this test got to 38 pretty sure got them all right hope it enough!

bob hope

Hi all,

Just checked my Northern application status for Sheffield trainee driver and was surprised to see the following - "Reject After New Application".

This was about two weeks after doing the online assessment (which I managed to complete around 55 correctly I thought).

Not had any email off Northern recruitment people though.

Any ideas whats going on? :cry:

Established Member
Hi all,

Just checked my Northern application status for Sheffield trainee driver and was surprised to see the following - "Reject After New Application".

This was about two weeks after doing the online assessment (which I managed to complete around 55 correctly I thought).

Not had any email off Northern recruitment people though.

Any ideas whats going on? :cry:

Are you certain you got either zero or one wrong? That's quite a high score.

bob hope

Sammy h - bad luck mate. Did your application status change to "Reject after new application" though? Also - did you get a rejection email straight away?

185 - yep felt confident I got them all correct, but maybe goes to prove that you never can tell what a good score is.

Oh well - onto the next application merry-go round for me!

Silv1983

Bob - 55 should be a pass. I passed with 50 for Manchester - and i'm confident they were 100% correct. Maybe you got a couple wrong but didn't realise as you were in the 'zone'. The mind can start playing tricks after such an intense mental exercise.

Established Member
Something many companies do is move the goalposts for each assessment, if there's a large number of candidates they are trying to whittle down.

One small train company once told me some years ago "Your score of 88% at interview was not sufficient to reach the pass mark which was 90% on the day". (That interview was for a job I had done for ten years! Should I resign now?!? lol)

In this test, 55-60 I would consider to be an excellent score, perhaps higher than many people who are currently out there doing the job have achieved, but I'm assuming it's relative to the other candidates you're competing with.

bob hope

I guess that could well be true Silv1983 - I certainly was in the zone - but whats really throwing me is the wording of the rejection - "Reject after new application"?
Its almost as if they have thrown out this application because I've submitted another (which I haven't, but I did get an email inviting me to apply for the Trainee driver jobs at Liverpool on the same day that my application status changed to rejected). Anyway I've emailed the recruitment team to get an answer - thats if they have the time to reply of course.

185 - thanks for the comforting words. If I got rejected because loads of people did better than me then thats fair enough really - and good luck to all of them. (I kinda said that through gritted teeth though!) ;)

Anyway - not gonna worry about it too much. After all getting rejected is all part of the game it seems..... I await my response / rejection from First Great Western for the Oxford trainee jobs!

Sunday_mornin

I can't imagine "loads" of people exceeded 55 correct answers on that particular test TBH. It is quite a tricky test.

Ian

Silv1983

I can't imagine "loads" of people exceeded 55 correct answers on that particular test TBH. It is quite a tricky test.

Ian

Agreed, getting 50 right is the equivalent of one every 6 seconds: a pretty healthy benchmark. Its a useful way of shortlisting candidates, none of this TPE business of randomly assisgning initial tests and causing heartache and contention.

Its kicking off on the tpe thread!

pauljones181

Dear potential train drivers i have recently applied for a trainee train driver position within the past few days. Ive just had a email of the company i am applying to to take part in a visual comparison test. can anyone tell me what sort of questions with i be facing before i do the test. paul.

kleb15

Dear potential train drivers i have recently applied for a trainee train driver position within the past few days. Ive just had a email of the company i am applying to to take part in a visual comparison test. can anyone tell me what sort of questions with i be facing before i do the test. paul.

Hi Paul, there's a thread here on the second page about the Northern Visual Test, hope this is of some help to you.

http://www.railforums.co.uk/showthread.php?t=73586

pauljones181

Hi kleb15 thanks for you information, ive noticed the numbers get longer in 4 pairs. i dont get when the numbers are in 4 pairs and which one you shade in as the wrong answer. any tips.

Established Member
Only advice I can give is to work methodicallly top line, second line, third, then forth reading the numbers from left to right.

Click on either the row, or the radial button to the left of it to select the row with the numbers that don't match.

Don't miss any, and try work quickly.

You should aim for over 45 with zero wrong answers, average I am seeing is about 55.

The skill measured is to see if you can notice discrepancies in a repetitive task.

Manctrain

Hi kleb15 thanks for you information, ive noticed the numbers get longer in 4 pairs. i dont get when the numbers are in 4 pairs and which one you shade in as the wrong answer. any tips.

Hi Paul

I think you may be over complicating this test. I dont know what practice tests you are doing but this test is very straight forward. You just click the small circle next to the numbers that aren't identical. I have recently gone through the fault finding and OPC assessments with TPE and this test is very simple compared to those. I am certainly not claiming to have excelled at it or would even go as far as to say I am overly confident that I have passed, however it's very simple to complete and anyone who doesn't pass it would have really struggled at the next assessments anyway.

pauljones181

Thanks 185 and Manctrain. The test is a visual comparison test which i havn't done yet but its got to be done before midnight this thursday. I have boughts test books in relation to train driver test from amazon. I just want to be prepared and get advice before i take the test later on tonight, and i thank you both for taking the time advising me.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Just did my visual comparison test, not sure what score i got. was a bit slow but i clicked all right answers. so what happens now.

Status
Not open for further replies.