• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Northern painting old units?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gizmogle

Established Member
I like Turbostars, but they're way too short. There are never any seats when I get on them. I much prefer 156s and 150s.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

voyagerdude220

Established Member
IMO I prefer 156's to 150's, simply because of it's different lay out, and "clag factor". Especially judging by the ride i had on 156461 on a trip from Ramsgreave & Wilpshire to Manchester Victoria one evening a few weeks ago.

I don't have anything against 150's at all really, it's just nice to see the odd 156 on the Clitheroe branch for a change.

170's - I enjoyed a very quiet ride on 3-car ex MML 505 from Piccadilly to Lime Street a while ago. I was sat on a seat in the small section directly behind the driver's cab. I couldn't hear any engine noise at all.

I didn't enjoy the return journey however on 170101 (this was before it's level crossing accident happened) because the 170 was very noisy.

158s- I don't mind them, but would hate the idea on doing a long journey from Manchester to Penzance on one when the service used to operate. However, i allways feel in need for a drink after a short ish journey from Highbridge to Bristol.

Sprog

Established Member
IMO I prefer 156's to 150's, simply because of it's different lay out, and "clag factor". Especially judging by the ride i had on 156461 on a trip from Ramsgreave & Wilpshire to Manchester Victoria one evening a few weeks ago.....

"The clag factor..."

what on earth!?

Its a multiple unit.

Max

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Yes, but you probably still get more 'clag' than from a Turbostar :)

With my moderating hat on, please could we try to get back on topic? This thread is supposed to be about how Northern are improving their fleet, not about how Central's units are getting even worse ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.