• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Northern Rail £10 Day Ticket

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

IanD

Established Member
or the other way leeds to Carlisle then how far round on the grange line would you get before having to reboard at Carlisle ?

Not sure if this is what you mean but it is certainly possible to do Leeds-Settle-Carlisle-Barrow-Lancaster-Giggleswick-Leeds in a day. Might have to get a single from Leeds-Shipley during the week as the £10 ticket isn't valid until after 9am.

badger1badger

What sapphire means is that the trains are on platforms 6 and 5 respectively. these are bay platforms at the south end of the station and so changing between them is as simple as walking around the front of the arriving train (the rear of the departing train), behind the buffer stops.

Great - we were talking about changing at Carlisle ? Got confused sorry !

You could get from Leeds to Whitby via Manchester, Barrow-in-Furness, Carlisle, Newcastle and Sunderland, using only Northern Rail, in a day, but it would be an early start and your bottom would be quite numb at the end of it. You can't do a loop completely on Northern though as they don't run between Eaglescliffe/Darlington and York, you would have time to get back to Middlesborough for a southbound TPE service to Leeds though (not sure even I would fancy 17 hours straight on trains!).

As for Leeds-Carlisle-Lancaster-Leeds, that should be child's play by comparison!
No don't fancy 17 hours on Northern ! Leeds Carlisle may be the one - how do you get Carlisle to Lancaster ?

P
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Not sure if this is what you mean but it is certainly possible to do Leeds-Settle-Carlisle-Barrow-Lancaster-Giggleswick-Leeds in a day. Might have to get a single from Leeds-Shipley during the week as the £10 ticket isn't valid until after 9am.

Kind of - wanted to consider setting off on the grange line to a stopping point then getting back to Carlisle for the S&C to Leeds

I know I am pushing this but a stop at the station at ribble head for a pint would enhance the day !

Paul:roll:
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Pah! I spent nineteen hours out of twenty four on trains and I'm none the worse for wear. I laugh at seventeen hours on trains! :lol:;)

Lol !

But northern trains ? :|

Last edited:

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
ainsworth74 said:
Ahh no not Northern :lol: FGW, LU, NXEA (as was then), EMT and EC

Not quite the same as 144/158 to Manchester, 142/150/156 to Preston, probably a 156 to Carlisle, then another to Newcastle, 142 to Middlesbrough and 156 to Whitby and back before some light relief on a 185 :lol:.

Leeds Carlisle may be the one - how do you get Carlisle to Lancaster ?

P

http://www.northernrail.org/pdfs/timetables/20120514/6.pdf

Northen run two direct services each way via the coast, Monday to Saturday, and there are other connections at Barrow-in-Furness or Whitehaven.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Not quite the same as 144/158 to Manchester, 142/150/156 to Preston, probably a 156 to Carlisle, then another to Newcastle, 142 to Middlesbrough and 156 to Whitby and back before some light relief on a 185

No not quite. But that undermined my point so I was hoping no-one would ask :lol:;)

Crossover

Established Member
In my (somewhat limited) experience, the LDS > CAR service arrives about 3 early and a next platform transfer "round the front" from 6 to 5 for the service to NCL is usually easily done.
(I am planning this move this Weds)

I have done Leeds to Carlisle via the S&C a couple of times and it would seem arriving -7 isn't entirely out of the ordinary, assuming a good run.

Maybe they would - a friend was accepted on tpe leeds to man pic a couple of weeks ago

Not sure i would risk it tho

I had thought there may be a couple of small runs you could get away with. Really though, if you wanted to risk it, the best bet would be to find a guard before boarding and see if they were feeling kind (take pity on you for having to take Northern services all day, perhaps? :P)

No don't fancy 17 hours on Northern ! Leeds Carlisle may be the one - how do you get Carlisle to Lancaster ?

There are direct services from Carlisle to Lancaster via the WCML as well, but they are few. Leeds-Carlisle-Lancaster (via Cumbrian) -Leeds is easily doable in the day, as I did it back in March on the last £10 flat fare offer. The other way round the loop also works, but but not as well as you end up with a good hour stuck at both Lancaster and Carlisle (having also left the Heysham Port train but without enough time to get there and back to Lancaster in time for the journey on the Cumbrian:()

cuccir

Established Member
There are direct services from Carlisle to Lancaster via the WCML as well, but they are few

There's actually quite a lot, although the timing is poor (during the day typically three between xx:55 and xx;18, then none for forty minutes).

None of them are run by Northern Rail though so in this context it would have to be via Cumrbia Coast or changing in Settle.

class17

Previously I have used these to go Preston - Manchester - Leeds - Harrogate - York. Preston - Leeds - Carlisle and Preston - Leeds - Nottingham.

But this year I fancy going to Lincoln and Cleethorps, but I am not so familiar with the train service. Are these practicable on Northern trains on a Saturday?

Anyone any suggestions, with some time for a bit of site seeing, perhaps in more than one place if waiting for connections.

Thanks

Just to let you all know, we went to Lincoln today. Had a good day out in Lincoln.

Where do all those people come from who cross the level crossing? There are massive numbers of them, yet Lincolnshire seemed so sparsely populated?

Then there is Lincoln Cathedral, what an impressive building. So hugh and cavernous in side, well worth the visit.

But it almost didn't happen. Within about 15 minutes of Lincoln, at Stow Park signal box, we came to a complete stand. There had been an accident at the level crossing. A car from the Stow direction had hit the level crossing gate, either full on or when it was closing. The car looked to have come off worse, but after 20 minutes or so, after the police had taken photographs, we crept past the damaged gate. Network Rail were out in force during the return and the road was obviously closed.

A good day out that wouldn't have taken place with out the Northern offer.

trentside

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Just to let you all know, we went to Lincoln today. Had a good day out in Lincoln.

Where do all those people come from who cross the level crossing? There are massive numbers of them, yet Lincolnshire seemed so sparsely populated?

Glad you had a good day in Lincoln class17.

The level crossing divides two of the main shopping areas in down hill Lincoln - the High Street area and the St Marks Shopping Centre, so gets a lot of foot traffic. The vehicle traffic is mainly heading south to the A15 to Sleaford and Boston, as well as the various residential areas to the south of the city.

Pay £10 to travel for a full day on 150's, 142's and 158's? No thanks.
I have the misfortune to travel on Northerns stock every working day and it is dirty, noisy and frequently smelly. Whilst the staff have always been fine, the stock is dreadful.
A £10 river seems a bargain. After an hour sitting on a sweaty Pacer I'd pay a tenner to get off.

badger1badger

Pay £10 to travel for a full day on 150's, 142's and 158's? No thanks.
I have the misfortune to travel on Northerns stock every working day and it is dirty, noisy and frequently smelly. Whilst the staff have always been fine, the stock is dreadful.
A £10 river seems a bargain. After an hour sitting on a sweaty Pacer I'd pay a tenner to get off.

But 10 pounds for a trip over Settle & Carlisle is good value ? :)

Wiggaz

Worth every penny. :D

Used one of these yesterday from Preston to Carlisle via the Cumbrian Coast, then down to Skipton via the S&C and back to Preston via Wennington (changing at Lancaster). The 144 from Skipton wasn't great, but nothing wrong with the other stock (2 156s & a 158).

Crossover

Established Member

Definitely!

Back in March I did Leeds - Carlisle (via S&C), Carlisle - Lancaster (via Cumbrian) and Lancaster - Leeds. Great day and total of about 300 miles!

I'm planning something for the last day next Saturday, but I am as of yet not totally sure what it will involve!

CaptainHaddock

Established Member
Just a reminder that if anyone still has a form and two tokens to use, the offer finishes this saturday (13th October).

Unfortunately this weekend (inc. Friday) both Leeds-Carlisle and Leeds-Lancaster routes are shut due to engineering work!

Status
Not open for further replies.