• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Northern Rail £10 Day Ticket

Status
Not open for further replies.

class17

Previously I have used these to go Preston - Manchester - Leeds - Harrogate - York. Preston - Leeds - Carlisle and Preston - Leeds - Nottingham.

But this year I fancy going to Lincoln and Cleethorps, but I am not so familiar with the train service. Are these practicable on Northern trains on a Saturday?

Anyone any suggestions, with some time for a bit of site seeing, perhaps in more than one place if waiting for connections.

Thanks

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

trentside

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Lincoln has an hourly service Monday to Saturday throughout the day to Sheffield (operated by Northern). At the extreme ends of service some trains start and finish short at Retford high level platforms. It will depend on timings but coming from the North West may leave you short of actual time in Lincoln.

As for Cleethorpes, it has a restricted service on Saturdays of just three trains from Sheffield via Brigg - so will depend on your connections. There are also Northern services between Sheffield and Scunthorpe, though you'd have to use TPE on to Cleethorpes from there, though Northern do also operate the Barton branch.

lyndhurst25

Established Member
Are Northern definitely running the £10 newspaper token offer again this year?

34D

Established Member
As for Cleethorpes, it has a restricted service on Saturdays of just three trains from Sheffield via Brigg - so will depend on your connections. There are also Northern services between Sheffield and Scunthorpe, though you'd have to use TPE on to Cleethorpes from there, though Northern do also operate the Barton branch.

I wonder whether TPX would accept these tickets from Scunthorpe to Grimsby on account of the Barton service being completely isolated?

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
I wonder whether TPX would accept these tickets from Scunthorpe to Grimsby on account of the Barton service being completely isolated?

Pretty much no chance. :|

John @ home

Established Member
Unfortunately, no. It is very clear on the face of the ticket that it is a NORTHERN RAIL ONLY DAY RANGER.

The Barton service is not isolated from the rest of Northern's network on Saturdays and I'm hoping to use one of these tickets to Barton and Cleethorpes on a Saturday before the vouchers expire.

class17

Lincoln has an hourly service Monday to Saturday throughout the day to Sheffield (operated by Northern). At the extreme ends of service some trains start and finish short at Retford high level platforms. It will depend on timings but coming from the North West may leave you short of actual time in Lincoln.

Thanks very much for all the replies. Connection times at Sheffield between the Manchester train and the Lincoln train will be a deciding issue here. As for Cleethorpes, it doesn't sound practicable, unless I decide to pay an additional fare.

We just want to go to places we haven't been to before.

For those of you who haven't got tokens, try and get a back copies of newspapers from the newspaper offices.

Regards.

alanf

Is this ticket actually valid in the Tyne Tees area and also do they have a Darlington to York service?

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Let's make it a race: I'll take the train, you can walk. Google thinks you could win.

Hmm if you used the coastal paths rather than the road it would actually be quite a nice walk. Though I'm not going to lie I think it might take me a bit longer than six hours :oops: give me eight and I think I could do it. How long do you reckon on the train taking and what route from Carlise, I assume down the S&C to Leeds and then onto Doncaster and Hull?

IanXC

Emeritus Moderator
Hmm, as far as I can see, unless you assume you can make a -1 connection at Carlisle its not possible to get from Scarborough to Whitby, solely on Northern, in one day... (Whitby to Scarborough is even harder!).

M60lad

Does anybody know where I can get one of these £10 tickets from only I can't seem to find any information on Northern's website unless I'm looking in the wrong place

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
Register on mynothern, confirm the account, download and complete the application form, attach two tokens* from participating Johnston Press publications and take them to a ticket office to get the ticket.

*Photocopies will not be accepted.

D841 Roebuck

Established Member
Another possible "race" would be Barton on Humber to Alnmouth. If only Northern services were used, I suspect the sailing vessel might have a good chance...

neilmc

Or just get the half-hourly bus service from Scarborough to Whitby and avoid all the faff? I'm sure it's a nice route and won't cost £10.

Sapphire Blue

Hmm, as far as I can see, unless you assume you can make a -1 connection at Carlisle its not possible to get from Scarborough to Whitby, solely on Northern, in one day... (Whitby to Scarborough is even harder!).

In my (somewhat limited) experience, the LDS > CAR service arrives about 3 early and a next platform transfer "round the front" from 6 to 5 for the service to NCL is usually easily done.
(I am planning this move this Weds)

badger1badger

Pretty much no chance. :|

Maybe they would - a friend was accepted on tpe leeds to man pic a couple of weeks ago

Not sure i would risk it tho

P
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
In my (somewhat limited) experience, the LDS > CAR service arrives about 3 early and a next platform transfer "round the front" from 6 to 5 for the service to NCL is usually easily done.
(I am planning this move this Weds)

Hi sapphire

Any chance of explaining what you mean - it is confusing !
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Is it possible to do leeds to Newcastle via Carlisle in a day or the other way leeds to Carlisle then how far round on the grange line would you get before having to reboard at Carlisle ?

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
....Any chance of explaining what you mean - it is confusing !

What sapphire means is that the trains are on platforms 6 and 5 respectively. these are bay platforms at the south end of the station and so changing between them is as simple as walking around the front of the arriving train (the rear of the departing train), behind the buffer stops.

....Is it possible to do leeds to Newcastle via Carlisle in a day or the other way leeds to Carlisle then how far round on the grange line would you get before having to reboard at Carlisle ?

You could get from Leeds to Whitby via Manchester, Barrow-in-Furness, Carlisle, Newcastle and Sunderland, using only Northern Rail, in a day, but it would be an early start and your bottom would be quite numb at the end of it. You can't do a loop completely on Northern though as they don't run between Eaglescliffe/Darlington and York, you would have time to get back to Middlesborough for a southbound TPE service to Leeds though (not sure even I would fancy 17 hours straight on trains!).

As for Leeds-Carlisle-Lancaster-Leeds, that should be child's play by comparison!

Status
Not open for further replies.