• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Northern Rail 'Easy Card' for West Yorkshire

Status
Not open for further replies.

TOCDriver

http://www.northernrail.org/news/7496

Northern said:
Northern Rail Launches 'Easy Card' for Customers with Learning Disabilities

Northern Rail – a joint Serco and Abellio venture - has launched the ‘Easy Card’, allowing customers with learning disabilities in West Yorkshire to travel through ticket gates and pay for their ticket once on the train.

The card brings real benefits to those with learning disabilities as they don’t need to use a ticket office or ticket machine, won’t struggle at the gates and can speak directly with a conductor on board the train who are able to provide them with more help should they need it.

The idea for the Easy Card came from Bradford People First and has been introduced in partnership with Metro and Inclusion North.

Alex Hynes, Managing Director for Northern Rail, comments: “We are always looking for ways to make buying tickets as straight forward as possible for our customers and the Easy Card does just that. For our passengers with learning disabilities travelling around our network in West Yorkshire, the card helps them do so with confidence and peace of mind.”

Members of Bradford People First:“The easy card will encourage more people to travel by train” – Damian
“We will not have to struggle to pay for tickets” – Neil
“I will feel more confident when I go on a train” - Christine

For further information or to apply for an ‘Easy Card’ contact Northern Rail on 0333 222 0125.

I really don't know what to make of this. In one way, is it not insulting to the people of West Yorkshire that this card is only availble in that particular region? Does West Yorkshire have a much higher percentage of people with learning disabilities? Or could it be that West Yorkshire has a much higher number of the population that cannot understand or read English but Northern are trying to avoid controversy?? Opinions would be welcome.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

tbtc

Veteran Member
The idea for the Easy Card came from Bradford People First and has been introduced in partnership with Metro

...sounds like it's being introduced at the request of people in West Yorkshire, and funded by people in West Yorkshire, so I don't think that they'll be very "insulted"

Moonshot

Established Member
One issue i can see is how do they speak to a conductor on a train thats rammed ?

TOCDriver

One issue i can see is how do they speak to a conductor on a train thats rammed ?

Indeed. What's the difference of buying form the conductor or buying from the ticket office? I just cannot get my head around this. Surely it would be easier buying from the ticket office. They still have to converse with somebody.

Last edited:

TOCDriver

What can a guard do that ticket office staff can't?

Exactly. Northern are opening themselves up to cheating here. It just doesn't make any sense whatsoever
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
...sounds like it's being introduced at the request of people in West Yorkshire, and funded by people in West Yorkshire, so I don't think that they'll be very "insulted"

How is it being funded by the people of West Yorkshire? It's just a barrier pass.

Moonshot

Established Member
I would have thought having ambassadors on the platforms like Grand Central do would be a bonus when it comes to improving customer service.......

What use is a barrier pass at a station with no barriers?

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
Outside of Leeds, Bratfud Interchange, Wakefield Westgate and Huddersfield is anywhere in West Yorks actually gated? To be fair though those four probably constitute a decent % of journey origins in the county.

Bayum

Established Member
What can a guard do that ticket office staff can't?

Spare a thought for those that are unable to read TVMs at unstaffed stations.

The ability to verbally request a destination is surely less stressful than struggling to read a destination or find the destination you want on a TVM with the variety of confusing place names in terms of phonology.

Starmill

Veteran Member
The ability to verbally request a destination is surely less stressful than struggling to read a destination or find the destination you want on a TVM with the variety of confusing place names in terms of phonology.

I agree with this.

However; how is it any easier to buy your ticket onboard rather than at a ticket office? If there's a physical reason (e.g the ticket office at MCV is a disgrace!), the vast majority of passengers countrywide (not just WY) would already be covered to buy onboard by virtue of their Disabled Railcard.

Bayum

Established Member
I agree with this.

However; how is it any easier to buy your ticket onboard rather than at a ticket office? If there's a physical reason (e.g the ticket office at MCV is a disgrace!), the vast majority of passengers countrywide (not just WY) would already be covered to buy onboard by virtue of their Disabled Railcard.

Believe it or not, not every single person who is unable to read or is deemed as having special needs, lives near a train station that has a booking office.

Lockwood

Believe it or not, not every single person who is unable to read or is deemed as having special needs, lives near a train station that has a booking office.

The card brings real benefits to those with learning disabilities as they don’t need to use a ticket office

Then why is a selling point of this that you don't need to go to a ticket office?
From what I've seen on discussions here, you can get a broader range of tickets from a ticket office than from the conductor as well.
Seems odd.

Oswyntail

Established Member
Indeed. What's the difference of buying form the conductor or buying from the ticket office? ....
In a ticket office, there is often a barrier between the staff and the customer, and the electronic communication is often far from perfect. On many occasions, the easiest method of communication at Ilkley is to write what you want and get printed responses! Not suitable for those with reading difficulties. Talking direct to a guard, who will know you have difficulties because of the card, would be much less stressful.

Moonshot

Established Member
In a ticket office, there is often a barrier between the staff and the customer, and the electronic communication is often far from perfect. On many occasions, the easiest method of communication at Ilkley is to write what you want and get printed responses! Not suitable for those with reading difficulties. Talking direct to a guard, who will know you have difficulties because of the card, would be much less stressful.

Or maybe just talk to an ambassador ( as in post 7 ) on the platform.

How would anyone be able to find a guard from inside the train if the train was packed as I have already pointed out, or indeed the train was formed of non gangwayed stregthened stock ( eg 2 pacers coupled up ). I rather think that most regular passengers who travelled in the front 2 coaches of such would realise they wont be seeing a guard checking tickets, Im not so sure that would be entirely obvious to someone with learning disabilities.

Qwerty133

Established Member

I'd suggest there's some severe design error, or other major issue at Ilkley if talking to the ticket office staff often isn't possible.

TOCDriver

Then they won't need the pass then

Katketty

It sounds like a good move to me. Personally I hate using the ticket offices as I find the barrier between you and the staff very difficult to communicate through. I'll have my conversation all planned out only to go there and not be able to understand a thing because of the terrible muffling effect the barrier creates. In the past I have found myself agreeing with the man and bluffing my way through the conversation in sheer panic without being able to hear him resulting in me hurrying off stressed out my head with a ticket to somewhere I don't want to go.

I'm not interested in people responding with "It is your own fault, you could have done X, Y and Z" because frankly I know that. However my particular disability takes me on a different path than a neurotypical person might. More often than not I will use a ticket machine or talk to gate staff rather than go to the offices. However this Easy Card just gives people that extra option in an attempt to smooth out their journey.

Tim R-T-C

Established Member
I think having the card to show on board the train at a TVM only station would be just as useful, my wife for example is highly dyslexic and cannot use the machines, particularly the small and complex variety at Steeton & Silsden, so something like that to show she hasn't just ignored it would be very welcome.

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
...How is it being funded by the people of West Yorkshire? It's just a barrier pass.

Who is paying for the passes to be made and posted out?

.... (e.g the ticket office at MCV is a disgrace!)....

Granted it's not the nicest office, but given that it is part of a listed building, what can they do? (aside from build a new one in the new bit of the station that is being constructed - ditched on the basis of cost AIUI)

I find this move highly discriminatory.

It's 'positive discrimination' so it's fine (apparently).

Starmill

Veteran Member
Spare a thought for those that are unable to read TVMs at unstaffed stations.

Erm, Duh. They can already buy onboard then...
Granted it's not the nicest office, but given that it is part of a listed building, what can they do? (aside from build a new one in the new bit of the station that is being constructed - ditched on the basis of cost AIUI)

It doesn't really matter what they do! Granted the building can't be tampered with too much, but as long as one window with a low counter is provided that doesn't have a wooden bar in front of it (!!!) and a reasonable means of hearing and preferably seeing the person serving you then that's OK. That wooden bar and the tiny porthole you have to look through are just not suitable for the modern requirements of a ticket office. Bridlington has something similar iirc.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
It sounds like a good move to me. Personally I hate using the ticket offices as I find the barrier between you and the staff very difficult to communicate through. ...
It sounds like a good move to me. Personally I hate using the ticket offices...
Which ticket offices do you use?

Also have you considered writing the requests?

Most ticket offices do not have any sort of barrier these days, surely?
peanuts. They would lose a lot more in potential revenue, especially during peak.
Presumably the pass holders won't be using this as an excuse not to pay? If the Guard doesn't come round, Northern say they're criminals if they do not pay. Presumably they have to write to Northern requesting an invoice? (;))

Oh, and hypothetically, let's say the passenger starts their journey at Bradford Interchange, where there is no 'barrier' between them and the ticket office staff, can they still flash the pass there? Then, if the Guard can't get to them before Leeds, what happens then? Can they show the pass to exit Leeds station without paying, or do they have to go to the excess fares booth? I can't remember if there is any sort of 'barrier' at the excess fares booth, but I do know they use Avantix machines.

If they can flash the pass and not pay at origins or destinations, and if they don't have to request an invoice if the Guard doesn't come round, then it's effectively a pass that allows free travel at peak times (but not off-peak) !!! Surely that can't be right!

TOCDriver

If they can flash the pass and not pay at origins or destinations, and if they don't have to request an invoice if the Guard doesn't come round, then it's effectively a pass that allows free travel at peak times (but not off-peak) !!! Surely that can't be right!

My point exactly, mate. It's been badly thought out this.

kieron

Established Member
Oh, and hypothetically, let's say the passenger starts their journey at Bradford Interchange, where there is no 'barrier' between them and the ticket office staff, can they still flash the pass there? Then, if the Guard can't get to them before Leeds, what happens then? Can they show the pass to exit Leeds station without paying, or do they have to go to the excess fares booth?
We've only got a press release to go on here. As this was launched in June, there should already have been a briefing for staff who are likely to see these cards, and something produced to explain to the cardholder what to expect.

Katketty

Which ticket offices do you use?

Also have you considered writing the requests?

Most ticket offices do not have any sort of barrier these days, surely?

Generally travelling from my local station, I simply use the ticket machine (which works fine albeit with repeated stabs at the required characters) however for longer journeys where there is more opportunity for confusion to arise and I am more likely to have queries, I am usually departing from Glasgow Central.

Most of the ScotRail ticket offices seem to have barriers between you and the staff which is understandable considering my experiences there spotting railtours late at night on a weekend. A lot of the buses in Glasgow (at least the First ones) also have a full screen barrier between you and the driver. Not sure if this is unique to the area or widespread across the country.

The problem isn't particularly pressing for me considering how rarely I feel the need to consult ticket staff but this Easy Card just provides another option for passengers with additional requirements. I understand that it can be easily dismissed because "They could do X, Y or Z" or "If they can pay on the train then why can't I?" and of course the system is open to abuse.

If this improves the travelling experience for only a handful of people and allows them to expand on their capacity to travel independently, then I feel that is surely worth it.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Generally travelling from my local station, I simply use the ticket machine (which works fine albeit with repeated stabs at the required characters) however for longer journeys where there is more opportunity for confusion to arise and I am more likely to have queries, I am usually departing from Glasgow Central.
Does your local ticket machine accept cash? A lot of the Scotrail ones don't. If that's the case, then if you're paying with cash you can buy on-board anyway.

I'm pretty sure there is a ticket office at Glasgow Central run by East Coast that doesn't have any sort of 'screen' or 'barrier'.

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
Does your local ticket machine accept cash? A lot of the Scotrail ones don't. If that's the case, then if you're paying with cash you can buy on-board anyway.

I'm pretty sure there is a ticket office at Glasgow Central run by East Coast that doesn't have any sort of 'screen' or 'barrier'.

There's three booking offices at Glasgow Central - one ScotRail on the Low Level, one ScotRail on the High Level, and Virgin who run the Travel Centre (which I assume you're referring to). The Travel Centre has a thin screen between the clerk and customer, thinner than a usual booking office however, plus it is generally quieter than the concourse if hearing is an issue.

Starmill

Veteran Member
I'd guess that a comfortable majority of ticket offices these days do not permit any physical contact between the staff and the customers of the ticket office. Only larger travel centre type places have a counter that you can speak straight over, such as at Manchester Piccadilly, or the Leeds travel centre - but NOT the EC ticket office, or the main ticket office at Leeds.

Every single ticket office in Merseyside seems to have but a narrow slit through which you can see the clerk, and a thick screen between you and them! Exceptions are Liverpool South Parkway, the advance travel place at Lime st (and the VT 'customer reception', which does seem to sell tickets too) and the M to Go places.

Status
Not open for further replies.