• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Northern Rail - Trainee conductor - Blackburn

Status
Not open for further replies.

Metcalfe1989

Hi, can someone help me, I got invited for an online assessment (numerical) which I completed and got an email straight away saying I had passed so I moved on to the verbal test looking at passages and picking out true, false or can't say answers. Only after I completed that one I haven't had an email saying it's a pass or a fail. The job on the careers page says application under consideration, but was just wondering if this is normal?. Any help would be great!.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

OnlyM

Hi, can someone help me, I got invited for an online assessment (numerical) which I completed and got an email straight away saying I had passed so I moved on to the verbal test looking at passages and picking out true, false or can't say answers. Only after I completed that one I haven't had an email saying it's a pass or a fail. The job on the careers page says application under consideration, but was just wondering if this is normal?. Any help would be great!.
As the status of your application says "under consideration" that is what is happening. To elaborate more on this. The tests are to pick out those who pass and those who don't. Those who didn't pass will get failed. And those who passed will then be put into a sift and the employers will then choose who they think will be suitable candidates for an interview. So in other words sit back and hope your application gets picked.

Established Member
A reminder that Northern (rather sloppily) don't tell candidates if they pass or fail the verbal test.

You probably did pass with a very decent score, however their interpretation of a 'pass' involves picking the highest (x) scores, sometimes 4 sometimes 40 depending on vacancies. Then, thorough application sifting takes place of those top few (4 or 40) to remove any applications considered unsuitable.

Hope this helps. :)

Metcalfe1989

Thanks that's a big help. Just didn't know because I didn't get an email right away like the numerical test, thought i might have failed.

Andrew32

As above, your going through the sifting process, hoping to transfer to Blackburn myself next year, currently a Conductor so if you need any advice just ask, good luck.

Metcalfe1989

Hi thanks for your reply, what should I expect if I get through this next sift?. I've applied for a few conductors roles but haven't got anywhere until now. What sort of tests am I looking at, if you know the pass mark (if not don't worry). Also if you can remember the sort of questions they asked you in your interview so I know a bit about what is coming if I get that far.

Andrew32

The next stage is an example based interview, tell us about a time you did this and that, I'll explain more if you are offered an interview.

Metcalfe1989

Hi Andrew32, I have been invited to an assessment day now. I have just over a week to prepare so any information that will help me would be greatly appreciated.

Andrew32

Hi Andrew32, I have been invited to an assessment day now. I have just over a week to prepare so any information that will help me would be greatly appreciated.

Are these the psychometric tests that your on about, have they sent you practice material?

I thought it was an interview that came after the application.

Andy

Metcalfe1989

No, on the email I've been sent it says this day is structured interview & Group Excercise, nothing about psychometric tests.

Andrew32

No, on the email I've been sent it says this day is structured interview & Group Excercise, nothing about psychometric tests.

The only thing that I can suggest is to swat up as much as possible in regards to the role of a Conductor and what things you have done so far in your life that shows the interviewers you have experience in dealing with situations detailed in the job description, these situations don't have to be work related, they could be something you did at school /college or in your spare time at home or voluntary work etc etc.

Also swat up on the company using the Northern site and Wikipedia.

Sorry I can't help much more but it looks as though they have changed the recruitment process since I applied three years ago.

Good luck

Lancs Lass

Hi there, I am a new member to the forum - but I'm certainly not completely new as I've been secretly lurking in the background gathering as much info as I could about Northern and the new depot at Blackburn! Signed up today as I have just found out I was successful in my interview last week. I must have met you on the day Metcalfe1989 but I couldn't work out which one you were! Anyone else applied to Blackburn that has got any news yet? Hope it's all good news and I can't wait to get started with my new career!

Tgh75

Hi Lancs Lass, I was at the Thursday batch of interviews for the above position. Received an email today confirming I have been successful but my application is on hold until they finalise the position dates. Made up and frustrated. Just want to push on and get started asap. Congratulations on getting over the last hurdle.

Can you let me know if you have had a confirmation of a start date?

Lancs Lass

Hi Tgh75 and congratulations to you on your new job! I've had exactly the same email as you, that I'm on hold - they will be in touch early next year as they're still finalising positions etc etc and they "hope" there will be enough positions for the number of successful candidates. I'm trying not to think about it now and just have a fabulous Christmas then worry about it all again next year! Well done us.

Metcalfe1989

Hi, well done on getting passed the interview, however I wasn't so lucky had my unsuccessful email yesterday. Do not have a clue where I went wrong. I was the small bald one in the blue suit only young looking

Lancs Lass

Sorry to read that Metcalfe, something will come up for you I'm sure - all the best in what ever it is you end up doing (and don't forget you can reapply in 6 months!). Think you can ask for feedback at Northern too which may be useful if you do apply again.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I wouldn't think they will be in too much of a rush to start us Tgh75 seen as the depot hasn't even been built yet and isn't set to open until December next year!

Tgh75

Hi Lancs Lass still buzzing after my email, keeps popping in my head that a positive change is imminent! Not sure what day your interview was on and if we bumped in to each other? It was mentioned on the day that we would be working out of piccadilly until the Blackburn depot was fully operational. Lets hope we receive emails asap as I've waited so long for this moment.

Mulberry2016

I'm happy for you but you will soon find out that it's not the bed of roses you think it is. Far from it. But good luck, anyhow

Lancs Lass

They mentioned Victoria to me and whether I'd be happy to be based there until Blackburn was ready, so maybe we will get an earlier start date. And no job is a bed of roses, I'm under no illusion that this will be - but after 14 years in my current job I am really looking forward to a change and a challenge! My interview was on the Wednesday so we didn't bump into one another, but hopefully I'll meet you on our training course! I'll keep you posted on the forum when I hear something further...

Lancs Lass

Hi, just wondering if anyone has heard anything yet about a start date for Blackburn? I went for my medical last week, passed and have been told I will be on the 13th Feb course. I was offered 23rd Jan, but this didn't give me enough time to hand my notice in at work. Anyone with me on the 13th Feb??!

Cherry

Hi Lancs Lass,
I'm still on hold for BB....not had a medical yet, hopefully soon

Tgh75

AHH gutted Lancs Lass I haven't heard anything as of yet. Last communication was the previous HOLD email, I was hoping I would have a course start date as I have seen movement on other Depots. Might give them a ring next week but don't want to pester. Well done on getting further on hope I'll be joining you at some point

Andrew32

AHH gutted Lancs Lass I haven't heard anything as of yet. Last communication was the previous HOLD email, I was hoping I would have a course start date as I have seen movement on other Depots. Might give them a ring next week but don't want to pester. Well done on getting further on hope I'll be joining you at some point

They are assessing traincrew requirements this month, I am internal and hoping to transfer to Blackburn, this is what I was told in December, hold tight, I'm sure you'll here something soon.

Lancs Lass

Well I have just finished my final day in my current job and am now officially unemployed - until I start my course with Northern on 13th Feb. I am so excited to begin the next chapter - today has been emotional, 14 years with the same airline - what a rollercoaster it has been. Onwards and upwards - can't wait to meet you all out on the tracks (sorry I know that last bit was corny)!

Tgh75

Well I have just finished my final day in my current job and am now officially unemployed - until I start my course with Northern on 13th Feb. I am so excited to begin the next chapter - today has been emotional, 14 years with the same airline - what a rollercoaster it has been. Onwards and upwards - can't wait to meet you all out on the tracks (sorry I know that last bit was corny)!

Hi Lancs Lass. Its all gone very quickly. The knowledge that a very positive change is just around the corner is amazing. Something to fall back on when your feeling challenged by your current job. I start my training on the 13th March and can't wait. The only worry I have is that I haven't had my contract through the post yet! Im ready to rugby tackle the postman as soon as he gets out of his van. Im stalking our postman. HaHa!! Confirmation of course date and medical completed and successful, just want my contract to rubber stamp it all.

Keep us posted on your progress, any insight is invaluable so I hit the ground running when I start. Well done

Lancs Lass

The only worry I have is that I haven't had my contract through the post yet!

I didn't receive my contract until the date I needed to hand my notice in, 4 weeks prior to my start date. I risked it though after emailing HR to confirm that I was definitely starting on the 13th Feb and handed my notice in a week early to give me a week off between jobs. I had the exact same worry as you and no matter how much reassurance I got from HR it was still a relief the day it landed on my doormat. So it's probably pointless telling you not to worry about it, but try not to.

Lancs Lass

Just noticed that Northern are recruiting for Blackburn again - good luck to those that apply!

Andrew32

Just received news that I will be transferring here sometime this year.

Ive set up a facebook group called Blackburn Staff Depot Page if anyone wants to join whenever they wish.

See you later in the year

Louby

Just received news that I will be transferring here sometime this year.

Ive set up a facebook group called Blackburn Staff Depot Page if anyone wants to join whenever they wish.

See you later in the year

Did you go for driving Andrew ?

Status
Not open for further replies.