• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Northern Rail Trainee conductor Leeds interview

Status
Not open for further replies.

munster732

Will be going for an interview in Leeds on March 10th....after months of checking the online vacancies.
Cant believe I finally got my foot in the door, got two weeks to prep myself and give it my best shot!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

beagles_about

Good Luck!
I start my conductor training in Leeds on 16th March :)

Make sure you do your research on Northern Rail in advance!

SLV

Im starting my training on the 16th as well beagles_about - so will see you there :)

munster732 - treat it like any other interview, do your research etc - read the job spec and think of the type of questions that will come up around the competencies they are looking for.

BigLee

I start 16th March too!!

Re your interview, as said above, look at what the role involves. The job description generally covers all of your key competences. Think about when you have been in similar situations. Do your research on the company, have something to eat before you go in, relax and enjoy. They are all lovely.

Lee

munster732

Cheers guys, any help is massively appreciated. The research has already started and I'm cramming on the history of Northern Rail to date. How many example based questions are there likely to be? And would you use the same ones from your application form or is it best to find new examples to use.
Thank you.
Wayne

beagles_about

Off the top of my head I'd say there were 6 example based questions I did use one of my application examples for one of them.
Good Luck :)

SLV

I start 16th March too!!

Re your interview, as said above, look at what the role involves. The job description generally covers all of your key competences. Think about when you have been in similar situations. Do your research on the company, have something to eat before you go in, relax and enjoy. They are all lovely.

Lee

Look forward to seeing you then too Lee

Best of luck for the 10th munster

darren111

I have applied for trainee conductor role in Leeds a few weeks ago, but I have still not heard anything. I suppose no news is good news x

Scudz

Just a quick bump to say hello to all in here.

I've got my interview tomorrow, fingers crossed our paths cross soon at an assessment day or at a training centre!!

munster732

Just a quick bump to say hello to all in here.

I've got my interview tomorrow, fingers crossed our paths cross soon at an assessment day or at a training centre!!

Here's hoping so Scudz, just got to take a deep breath and go for it.

Scudz

Here's hoping so Scudz, just got to take a deep breath and go for it.

Good luck to you mate, let us know how it goes :)

Not sure if I'll be able to be on tomorrow night but I'll post if I get any updates.

garageflower

Another one here for 16th March start, that email unnerved me regarding the delayed corporate assessment but another member I've been in contact with on here phoned up and put that worry to bed! Good luck for your interview I used a couple of the same examples from my application and they said that was fine, little tip have a good luck at the route map!

Modular

The interviewers are in fact lovely people and put you at ease. Nothing I can do now apart from wait and see.

Last edited:

roystinho

The interviewers are in fact lovely people and put you at ease. Nothing I can do now apart from wait and see.

Totally agree. One of the best interviews/ers I've ever had.

I'm starting on the 16th too, will see some of you Monday:D

Paul1977

HI guys

good luck to you all who are starting on 16th March, I started training in November for Sheffield but but due to me being unwell with severe stress and anxiety and a death in the family at the time I just couldn't physically or mentally carry on with the course and was and still am totally mortified but will try again possibly when fully fit, im 90% would say now getting there....

one thing I will say to you guys is be prepared for the course it is a big big shocker on just how much there is to learn you get a pile of folders and paperwork and there is a lot of role play getting up in front of everyone giving presentations etc etc... but I was really enjoying it but just couldn't cope at the time with illness to deal with etc, just be prepared there is a lot more to it than you expect just thought give you guys an heads up so can prepare...

First day is a group induction with people from all department and doing silly group things etc etc... then training room from second day on...

good luck to you all hope things go well.... any questions just ask or pm me

thanks again to everyone on here who helped me out last year just still gutted things went pair shaped but couldn't be helped...... may be back one day ???

thanks

Scudz

Passed the interview....deep joy ! Just waiting for a date for the psychometric test????????????

Congratulations! - That makes two of us, also received the same news today!

Already started looking through the training material, exciting times!! :D

SLV

Sorry to hear it didn't work out for you Paul, hope you're feeling a lot better.

Congratulations Scudz and Munster.

I'm really looking forward to getting started on Monday now, nervous and excited :D

Scudz

Sorry to hear it didn't work out for you Paul, hope you're feeling a lot better.

Congratulations Scudz and Munster.

I'm really looking forward to getting started on Monday now, nervous and excited :D

All the best for the start - here's where the hard work begins!

Out of interest, how did you find the assessment centre day?

Also quick question if you don't mind? - How do the tests on the day compare to the practice materials?
(I note in some of the test materials it states 'the tests you will take on the day will be similar but not identical')

beagles_about

The practice material was very good, I also downloaded the group bourdon tool on here and practised and practised and practised!

Scudz

The practice material was very good, I also downloaded the group bourdon tool on here and practised and practised and practised!

Brilliant, thanks for that! I've got that downloaded as well so I'm in the right area!

Andrew32

To all of you who are starting on Monday you will all love the course, both the trainers are hilarious and well supportive if you have an problems, feel free to message me if any of you need advice btw.

As paul says, there's alot of stuff on the desks when you go into the classroom on the second day, but you learn it all over 12/13 weeks so dont worry, it all goes in eventually.

Good luck and welcome to the railway.

Scudz

Just a quick bump, has anyone heard about assessment days yet?

Appreciate it's only been a week (so I'm probably jumping the gun a little! :lol ) - but presume they will need to start doing it soon.

Looks like they are taking an intake for May, so presumably needs to be done in time for a notice period before that start date?

area 39

Well done guys and congrats.

Can I ask are any of you who have been successful working for or have been working for Carlisle Support Services as Train Dispatchers ?

munster732

Just a quick bump, has anyone heard about assessment days yet?

Appreciate it's only been a week (so I'm probably jumping the gun a little! :lol ) - but presume they will need to start doing it soon.

Looks like they are taking an intake for May, so presumably needs to be done in time for a notice period before that start date?

Don't panic mate, I've not heard anything either. There are intakes in May, August and September so should be plenty of places to go round!

munster732

Had an e mail at 0830 from HR stating "sorry for the delay in the assessments, but we are short of assessors and other stations with vacancies that are starting before Leeds are taking priority. Hold fire and we will get to you with dates when available"
At 1030hrs the phone rings, HR in York and I got offered a cancellation slot for an assessment on Wednesday 1st April at 1315.
At least wont have weeks to stress about it :D

munster732

Did you pass Munster?

Surprisingly yes I did. Got an e Mail on Thursday saying I had met the required standard and that someone will be in touch with regards to the next step of the process. There was ten people sitting the assessment, 8 were for 2 positions in Barrow and two of us for the Leeds positions. Good luck to all those waiting for their assessment dates, it isn't that bad, just don't panic about the clock ticking and do what you can in the time permitted.

Status
Not open for further replies.