• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Northern Rail- Wigan and man

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Llama

Established Member
Yes, four new ones, one existing retires next year. Driver manager productivity is another bottleneck, it takes the best part of a year for a DM to become productive.
edit: five new DIs at Vic, must be expecting an influx...!

Established Member
Northern Rail website doesn't specifically mention how long you need to be a qualified driver for to apply for the holding pool - is 2 years after passing out the required minimum amount of time?

Llama

Established Member
If a qualified driver applied I doubt they would ever go into a holding pool. There would be a TNA done and any knowledge gaps formulated into a training plan.

Established Member
If a qualified driver applied I doubt they would ever go into a holding pool. There would be a TNA done and any knowledge gaps formulated into a training plan.

The vacancy that has been on the Northern website for a good few months now just states that they are looking to take on qualified drivers, and if there are no immediate vacancies, then they will be held in a talent pool.

However I have no idea on how badly Northern need new drivers at their depots so you may well be right.

8J

Well if you look at the number of cancellations due to unavailable train crew, they must be desperate for them.

Llama

Established Member
As stated before, most cancellations are not due to 'shortages' of drivers, but due to the fact that a lot of new drivers don't yet sign all routes and traction at their depots, this can take years.

scorchio

Having been sat in the driver talent pool for well over six months now, along with many more, does anyone else get the feeling this isn't going to happen??

MadeinWigan

It has been a surprise after the initial rush through the assessments and mention of positions becoming available quickly.

Unfortunately things ground to a halt for unknown reasons. I don't know if there has ever been as big a recruitment drive by northern before, we know there are potentially dozens of people in the pool and as time passes I do wonder if there will be enough vacancies to satisfy us all.

I can only sit here patiently and hope that my scores were strong and that when a position comes up, I interview well and can start a career with Northern. At the same time I have a family and it would be foolish of me not to have a back up plan just in case an offer doesn't materialise.

Llama

Established Member
The last time they (FNW/Northern) recruited this heavily was in 2003-2005. Current high levels of recruitment started in 2012.

Llama

Established Member
There is a course in November this year, then none until the end of January, but that is the first of seven courses planned for 2015 up to now, similar to how 2014 recruitment looked about this time last year. Fingers crossed for you all in the pool.

Llama

Established Member
Ha ha. Cheers. There are a few escapees at Man Vic going to freight (one about now, another couple towards the New Year) and a few retiring, not too sure about other depots, but based on usual patterns there should be enough spaces freed up for a chunk of people in the pool, and importantly as far as I am aware they haven't advertised externally for a little while now.

TPE have just advertised for qualified drivers again too so a few qualifieds from Northern will probably end up with those jobs. Keep your ears open, you might give up hope having not heard anything for months then all of a sudden it might be a mad rush, that is how it often pans out.

302PS

We continue to live in hope and thanks llama
But as mentioned above eggs need to go in a few baskets

8ball

I sat in the talent pool for 6 months after passing all the psychometric assessments and dm interview only to be told the job had been pulled. Don't give up hope though.

302PS

Iv not just yet, mainline and depot different ball game
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Anyone on here got on the supposed September course?

challyabnger

Hello people. Not posted a comment on here for a while but have kept up reading all of everyone elses. I too live in hope that we get some good news. I passed my interview and test at the end of january. Is there anyone on the same batch who us still waiting or has been given the green light to attend one if the training courses previously

Louby

Hello people. Not posted a comment on here for a while but have kept up reading all of everyone elses. I too live in hope that we get some good news. I passed my interview and test at the end of january. Is there anyone on the same batch who us still waiting or has been given the green light to attend one if the training courses previously

Quite a few of us

Status
Not open for further replies.