• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Northern Rail- Wigan and man

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Johncleesefan

Aweaome. Applied for manchester. Can you apply for both or only 1. Last time I was told I had a prevoius fail (leeds short listing) so therefore couldnt apply for wherever. But no probs this time

Sunday_mornin

Aweaome. Applied for manchester. Can you apply for both or only 1. Last time I was told I had a prevoius fail (leeds short listing) so therefore couldnt apply for wherever. But no probs this time

Only one app at a time I'm afraid, best of luck.

Do you have to live a certain distance from Manchester Depot or will they consider you if you will relocate?
I am sure i applied for a Northern job about a month back and it was rejected because i live presently on the east coast.

Sunday_mornin

Do you have to live a certain distance from Manchester Depot or will they consider you if you will relocate?
I am sure i applied for a Northern job about a month back and it was rejected because i live presently on the east coast.

60 minutes away from the depot, not sure about relocating but I'd be doubtful tbh

60 minutes away from the depot, not sure about relocating but I'd be doubtful tbh

I find it frustrating that there is a limit of living an hour away at the point of application, there are people like myself in the military who on leaving the military will relocate to where the new job is. I would of thought a flexible person willing to relocate would be a positive.

Last edited:

Chevyc

I am new to this, missed out on Victoria but have just applied for Wigan. Fingers crossed.

Vicpaul

Yeah my partner is originally from liverpool and it's the sole reason im trying to get a qualified position up there. Got as knock back from FTPE this morning so a little disheartened

Johncleesefan

Id apply anyway. I have and im across the penines. Email them if unsure and state relocation is something ud do. How far along with FTPE out of curiosity?

Vicpaul

Got nowhere down to my experience. 6 months mainline so far but 6 years driving the tube doesn't count

Silv1983

Yeah my partner is originally from liverpool and it's the sole reason im trying to get a qualified position up there. Got as knock back from FTPE this morning so a little disheartened

Don't be disheartened at getting dropped by FTPE! I applied for FPTE and Northern at the same time. Dropped by FTPE immediately, went all the way with Northern (which had a harder assessment centre). Althought I think FTPE's American spell-checker disliked my English spelling.

Louby

Got nowhere down to my experience. 6 months mainline so far but 6 years driving the tube doesn't count

Mainline as in bus? You don't need any experience in driving etc, they prefer to train you, keep at it and apply

Vicpaul

Sorry mainline as in qualified train driver with southern. I'll have to give it some though and discuss with the wife as she would have to go back to work temporarily

Sunday_mornin

Sorry mainline as in qualified train driver with southern. I'll have to give it some though and discuss with the wife as she would have to go back to work temporarily

Wouldn't you have to serve a huge notice period with Southern though Paul?

Louby

Wow I'm quite shocked at that, thought they were crying out for qualified drivers

youngboy

I find it frustrating that there is a limit of living an hour away at the point of application, there are people like myself in the military who on leaving the military will relocate to where the new job is. I would of thought a flexible person willing to relocate would be a positive.

I don't think they're averse to relocation mate as long as you do actually relocate. Have read lots of posts on here about people lying about where they live to get the job or promising to relocate then causing problems for the company by not relocating.

There are plenty of drivers on here who will explain the exact reason why living within the commutable distance is required and is so important.

One of the first six question's on the application for Northern is.. Do you live within an hour of the depot you are applying for ?? You're faced with two options...Lie and get caught in the process which wouldn't look good at all !! Or tell the truth and apply for jobs where you live, alternatively ring Northern Rail HR dept beforehand (who are very helpful) and ask them for their advice.

Vicpaul

I asked this to FTPE HR and was told a qualified driver is someone who had successfully completed the necessary training to gain a competency license for driving (in not so many words) regardless I knew it was sonething that would go against me but was forced into applying really. I've contacted northern regarding the open qualified posistions so just waiting on the answers to some questions I have

beavercreek

Don't be disheartened at getting dropped by FTPE! I applied for FPTE and Northern at the same time. Dropped by FTPE immediately, went all the way with Northern (which had a harder assessment centre). Althought I think FTPE's American spell-checker disliked my English spelling.

It's strange really as every position I've applied for with Northern has always been rejected at the application stage.
I applied for a trainee driver at FTPE and I'm due to start with them very soon.

Bluebri

Just my application in for Wigan tonight. So much for the job alerts. Good job I checked the forums tonight. Phew. Just hope my application gets looked at after missing out on the man Vic vacancy. Good luck everyone.

Louby

Just my application in for Wigan tonight. So much for the job alerts. Good job I checked the forums tonight. Phew. Just hope my application gets looked at after missing out on the man Vic vacancy. Good luck everyone.

Man was on yesterday ?

Chevyc

The Wigan role has gone from the website now, Manchester still on. Does this mean there are likely to be more jobs at Manchester? The mail alert is pointless, never had anything through from that, got to check everyday. Hopefully we will hear soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.