• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Northern Train Dispatcher position Man Picc

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lankyline

Hi, Just applied for this position and have been using the search engine for any details on the interview process without success (unless anyone knows better!)
So basically can anyone enlighten me as to what the interview process involves with Northern ? Thanks
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Just been notified by Northern that I've got through the initial application stage and onto the online verbal & reasoning tests. If I get through these, there is a further set of online tests of which I will be notified of afterwards.
In an effort to try and find out as much as possible about what I could face, does anyone know what the second set of tests consist of ?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

jindivik

I work at Piccadilly as a dispatcher but with TPE, i took some online tests with Network Rail and these were a basic maths test and the other part was your basic read from an article and pick the right answer multiple choice type. Not sure on Northern's exact process but with TPE after making it through to the interview/test day, this consisted of a group of us, we were given a colour blindness test (no good if you can't tell the colour of signals), one person was sent from our group during this stage. Next was a little more difficult, you have to listen to a recording and make sure 3 sounds are in the correct sequence, whilst trying to "answer" questions from members of the public. The most important part of this is making sure the sounds are in the correct order, you're given a card with all the information on to let you answer the questions, answering these is good but the most critical part is the correct sequence. After this stage there were only 2 of us left in the group, the last test is like the written reasoning tests, you're given paragraphs and have to select the right answer......a lot of people don't finish this in the time given, i just managed with about a minute to spare and go back to check my answers. After this it was straight onto the interview which i wasn't prepared for at all, it was your basic customer services interview "give an example when......" etc...etc...

I wish you luck and hopefully see you around the station soon!

Lankyline

Thanks for all the info, it's really useful, so far passed the online numeracy test, just waiting on my result for the verbal reasoning test, if I do get through, yu can't miss me I'm 6ft 4. Anyway figures crossed and thanks again
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I work at Piccadilly as a dispatcher but with TPE, i took some online tests with Network Rail and these were a basic maths test and the other part was your basic read from an article and pick the right answer multiple choice type. Not sure on Northern's exact process but with TPE after making it through to the interview/test day, this consisted of a group of us, we were given a colour blindness test (no good if you can't tell the colour of signals), one person was sent from our group during this stage. Next was a little more difficult, you have to listen to a recording and make sure 3 sounds are in the correct sequence, whilst trying to "answer" questions from members of the public. The most important part of this is making sure the sounds are in the correct order, you're given a card with all the information on to let you answer the questions, answering these is good but the most critical part is the correct sequence. After this stage there were only 2 of us left in the group, the last test is like the written reasoning tests, you're given paragraphs and have to select the right answer......a lot of people don't finish this in the time given, i just managed with about a minute to spare and go back to check my answers. After this it was straight onto the interview which i wasn't prepared for at all, it was your basic customer services interview "give an example when......" etc...etc...

I wish you luck and hopefully see you around the station soon!

If I could just ask, what's the job like on a day to day basis, what do you have to deal with ?

craigybagel

Established Member
Good bunch of dispatchers at Piccadilly, if you get the job you'll have a great time. They dispatch all Northern, XC and ATW services, including ECS. They have at least one night shift to cover.

craigybagel

Established Member
Fair enough - I'm only despatched on platform 13/14 twice every 39 weeks so I don't get to see EMT too much :lol:

jindivik

If I could just ask, what's the job like on a day to day basis, what do you have to deal with ?

As TPE we don't have nearly as many trains to deal with as the Northern lot. As a day job i'm really enjoying it. The dispatch part is fairly simple, as long as you can keep your concentration & not allow yourself to become distracted then you'll have no problem, with distractions come errors (starting to dispatch whilst the signal is still on red....etc...)

As a dispatcher you have to be prepared to be called every name under the sun when people show up late for trains, once the doors are closed that's it! but it will be all your fault when people can't board their train! Abuse is rare but you will get it eventually!

I think the Northern hours are better, with TPE we work a 4 on, 4 off shift pattern but each day is 12 hours long, either starting at 7-7:30 AM & PM, also expect to work nights every now & then but these are generally with the odd "zombie" drunkard wandering around :) The working atmosphere is one of the best i've worked in with everyone helping each other out, the northern team are fab & i'm sure you'll enjoy it if you are successful in getting the job

Status
Not open for further replies.