• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Northern Train Driver - Enhanced or Standard pass required?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JRE

Hello all,

Does anybody have any up-to-date info on what Northern require at the OPC Assessment; is it the enhanced pass or standard pass?

Thanks for any help!

J

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

kmck96

Just on the back of this. Can anybody explain the difference between an enhanced and a standard pass?

Just on the back of this. Can anybody explain the difference between an enhanced and a standard pass?
To a novice like myself. Thanks

JRE

Changed to enhanced in April.
Thanks, didn't realise that.

Would a TOC like Northern ever accept National standard results if some elements were passed to an enhanced standard, or is that unheard of?

Last edited:

JRE

No they would ask you to resit them to meet enhanced standard
Thanks. I'm in a strange position.. I first applied for Northern in 2019 when they required a standard pass.
I passed everything, except the ATAVT and the MMI (which I didn't get the opportunity to sit).

I reapplied to Northern in April of this year, and today reattended the OPC and sat the ATAVT and MMI. I was told I'd passed the ATAVT (so, I assume, to enhanced standard)... I was only asked to resit the ATAVT, then onto the MMI.

However.. I don't know if I passed the other elements of the OPC to an enhanced or standard score in 2019?!

If the scores in 2019 weren't good enough, surely they'd have asked me to resit those elements today, wouldn't they?

L401CJF

Established Member
Each TOC that uses enhanced uses their own enhanced mark, ie there isn't a national standard for enhanced, its down to the TOC. Say for example a standard pass is 85% (i don't know what it is). TOC A might have enhanced for them down as 90%, for TOC B it might be 95% etc.

You may well have met the mark for an enhanced pass for some TOCs last time hence why you've not been asked to resit them.

JRE

Each TOC that uses enhanced uses their own enhanced mark, ie there isn't a national standard for enhanced, its down to the TOC. Say for example a standard pass is 85% (i don't know what it is). TOC A might have enhanced for them down as 90%, for TOC B it might be 95% etc.

You may well have met the mark for an enhanced pass for some TOCs last time hence why you've not been asked to resit them.
Thanks L401CJF, that makes sense!

I'm just hoping that when the OPC checked and confirmed what I needed to resit today (the ATAVT, MMI) that they also checked that the previous elements I'd passed met Northern's requirements. I'm sure they would have?

I’m aware that if you passed to national standard before April 2020 (when they changed to enhanced), that Northern will honour your national pass and not make you resit.

Any paper tests that need passing or completing will have to be done to enhanced standard. However, I have been told that for the computer tests, Northern are just national standard.

Once again this falls down to every TOC having their own individual “enhanced” standards.

JRE

I’m aware that if you passed to national standard before April 2020 (when they changed to enhanced), that Northern will honour your national pass and not make you resit.

Any paper tests that need passing or completing will have to be done to enhanced standard. However, I have been told that for the computer tests, Northern are just national standard.

Once again this falls down to every TOC having their own individual “enhanced” standards.
Thanks 60074, much appreciated!

Hopefully I won't have an issue. I'm hoping that I hear soon as to whether or not I've been successful

A460009

Just to be 100% clear, if you passed everything to standard pre April 2020 you won’t be asked to resit? Thanks in advance

Just to be 100% clear, if you passed everything to standard pre April 2020 you won’t be asked to resit? Thanks in advance

That’s correct, unless they’ve amended the policy (again)

Northern will accept passes up to 5 years old

Status
Not open for further replies.