• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Northern - trainee vacancies at Blackpool

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

gazcat

Noticed this was open until the closing date. So live for approx nine days.
This seems unusual as vacancies usually close early due to the number of applications.
Anyone any thoughts?

kelv

Noticed this was open until the closing date. So live for approx nine days.
This seems unusual as vacancies usually close early due to the number of applications.
Anyone any thoughts?

Location & Size of Population in surrounding area ? Meaning less that are within the travel area.

I live between L'pool & Manc close to M6 so have easy enough access to Blackpool but am outside of the permitted travel time by about 8 minutes.

I would've applied tbh if I'd have been within the time allowed.

gazcat

Yes fair point, It's probably 30 mins just down M55 to Blackpool North, so can't be much further from there to be within time I guess.

Dave1980

Hiya, new member to this site and have applied for the trainee position at Blackpool, depending on traffic I do live between 35-50mins away from the centre of Blackpool so do believe I'm within the area required. It is the first time I've applied for a role within the rail industry, coming into it from a policing background so any advice is welcome.
Like the other post says I was surprised it was on the site up to the closing date rather than being removed early, think there was one for Darlington that was taken down after only a few days. Still not heard anything back apart from the confirmation email, it did say to wait two weeks or so but just wondering if anyone has heard back yet??
Pleasure to meet you all, any advice is more than welcome!
Dave

Dave1980

Just for the info of the people who have applied for this post, I got the following email through today.

Thank you for your patience in relation to your application for Trainee Driver, Blackpool.

Due to the volume of applicants, we are shortlisting in stages and will be in touch within the next few weeks to update you on the outcome of your application.

Kind regards
The Recruitment Team

Glad to hear something, hoping the next one will be worth the wait!

gazcat

Just for the info of the people who have applied for this post, I got the following email through today.

Thank you for your patience in relation to your application for Trainee Driver, Blackpool.

Due to the volume of applicants, we are shortlisting in stages and will be in touch within the next few weeks to update you on the outcome of your application.

Kind regards
The Recruitment Team

Glad to hear something, hoping the next one will be worth the wait!

Yes, received the same email.

Nbrnay

Hi all,

New to the forum, got an email today inviting me for an interview at a hotel in Preston. Never been for a job interview outside of my current field so wondering if there's anything on here that will help?

Cheers
Nathan

Dave1980

Hi all,

New to the forum, got an email today inviting me for an interview at a hotel in Preston. Never been for a job interview outside of my current field so wondering if there's anything on here that will help?

Cheers
Nathan

Nathan,

Unfortunately not got a response myself yet so it's not looking good for me! C'est la vie.

Afraid I can't tell you much about the interview however I suspect there will be questions based on the competency questions on the application form. Other than that take a look at the other threads on here, possibly the Manchester Trainee one as they have just completed the process.

Good luck
Dave

Nbrnay

Thanks Dave, fingers crossed for you you get an interview.

I've done a fair bit of reading on here but still pretty nervous. Literally never been for an interview outside of my current profession which is advertisment sales so don't want to be too bolshy.

My current work is near Piccadilly station, tempted to see if I can buy a driver coming off shift a coffee so I can pick his/her brain!!!

Dave1980

Nathan, may well be a good idea to speak with a driver and who could turn down a free brew??

I sent them an email the other day to try and find out one way or another since I saw the posts on here, got the following response which is a tad odd;

"Thank you for getting in touch with the HR Contact Centre. We have reviewed your query and can confirm the following solution:

I'm afraid there has been no movement yet on this role. We will be in touch when we progress to the next stage, as we contact all candidates whether they're successful or not.

Thanks for the patience.

Many Thanks

The HR Contact Centre Team"

Not sure what to make of it other than maybe I'm being kept in reserve in case someone says something really bad at the interview stage. I do know of a guy who applied for a job where I work and when asked in interview why he wanted that job said " I don't know!" ??????

Good luck with it and just do the best you can.

Dave

Nbrnay

Fingers Crossed Dave, I was told in the interview that recruitment will start for Blackburn shortly after Blackpool and they asked me if I would be willing to work from there so you may still be in luck.

My interview went well, got asked a lot of the questions that are listed in these threads, overall I think it went really well but only time will tell!

sennaf15

I got my reply earlier today however because I'm right on the limit of 45 mins travelling they have offered me an interview for closer to home. I'm chuffed to bits lol ?????? I now need to get studying. Good luck to everybody that has an interview.

Last edited:

Dave1980

Nathan, good luck mate and keep us updated on your progress. Funny you should mention that actually, they emailed me yesterday and said similar to the other post. As I live right on the cusp of the 45min travel time would I be interested in Blackburn as its 15mins closer to my home in Wigan. So agreed to that and waiting to be invited to interview for a place there. From reading another thread on here is a brand new depot and they are looking at a 50/50 ratio of trainers and trainees, which sounds promising but it would mean waiting until it's built in Dec 2017. I reckon I could cope with my current job until then, just about!

Nbrnay

Inevitable 'Regret to inform' email came today. Ah well, sounds like I did well to get that far. Good luck to everyone else, hope you get further than me!

sennaf15

Inevitable 'Regret to inform' email came today. Ah well, sounds like I did well to get that far. Good luck to everyone else, hope you get further than me!

Sorry to hear that Nbrnay, don't give up though there will be another opportunity.
I've got my interview next week and I'm busy studying up as much as I can. What kind of questions did they ask you if you don't mind my asking?

Andrew32

From reading another thread on here is a brand new depot and they are looking at a 50/50 ratio of trainers and trainees, which sounds promising but it would mean waiting until it's built in Dec 2017. I reckon I could cope with my current job until then, just about!

See Blackburn drivers thread for staffing proposed staffing levels.

bennydee

Does anyone know if its likely they had enough internal applicants for this role to send to the testing stage without needing external applicants

gazcat

Does anyone know if its likely they had enough internal applicants for this role to send to the testing stage without needing external applicants

I'm external and was fortunate to receive an email yesterday telling me I'd been successful in getting through to assessments at DB in Doncaster. Date tbc.
It says lunch won't be provided and suggests taking your own.
Because of that, I'm presuming that the assessments part 1 and part 2 will be on the same day - whereas in the past I think Northern have done them on two separate days.
Anyone got the same email or have any more info?

Driver_S

I'm external and was fortunate to receive an email yesterday telling me I'd been successful in getting through to assessments at DB in Doncaster. Date tbc.
It says lunch won't be provided and suggests taking your own.
Because of that, I'm presuming that the assessments part 1 and part 2 will be on the same day - whereas in the past I think Northern have done them on two separate days.
Anyone got the same email or have any more info?
Congratulations gazcat on getting through to the assessment day at Doncaster. I passed the assessment day there in May and yes part 1 and 2 is done all in the same day. They reviewed the scores after every 3 assessments and sent people home that had not met the required standard. If you pass all the assessments then you will have the mmi at the end of the day which lasts about 90mins and then they tell you if you have passed/failed before you leave which for me was about 4pm.

If you have any questions then feel free to ask.

Good Luck!!

gazcat

Congratulations gazcat on getting through to the assessment day at Doncaster. I passed the assessment day there in May and yes part 1 and 2 is done all in the same day. They reviewed the scores after every 3 assessments and sent people home that had not met the required standard. If you pass all the assessments then you will have the mmi at the end of the day which lasts about 90mins and then they tell you if you have passed/failed before you leave which for me was about 4pm.

If you have any questions then feel free to ask.

Good Luck!!

Thank you Driver_S
How long did they take from advising you that you were through to assessments and giving you a date to attend?
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Also tried to PM you but won't allow it?!

Driver_S

Thank you Driver_S
How long did they take from advising you that you were through to assessments and giving you a date to attend?
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Also tried to PM you but won't allow it?!
3 weeks

gazcat

Thanks again.
Just to clarify, was that 3 weeks in between getting the email to say you'd passed interview & assessment date?
I was wondering if you received the email I've got which says date to be confirmed & if so how long after that did you get the email with the date for assessments.
Sorry to be a pain but trying to gauge how it might affect my current work.

Status
Not open for further replies.