• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Northern training course

Status
Not open for further replies.

Osian85

The stars have aligned and I have a place on a training course with Northern starting soon at the academy in Leeds, a question to anyone currently training or recently trained; what do you do for parking each day?

I live a bit too far away for getting the train in each day and there would be changes too, not ideal, driving makes much more sense in my case. Also some days I would be going home to one house and other days to another so a 'specific route pass' that i'm sure I have read somewhere is not ideal.
Im more than happy to drive in to Leeds each day and incur all the extra fuel and parking fee's but most places I have seen are two hours maximum. Would a swipe card for an employees carpark at Leeds station be a possibility? Or if you can tell me any good carparks you have found in Leeds that would be great.

Thanks in advance everyone.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Crow238

Hi Osian 85. Nice to hear that you been placed on the course. Can I just ask what depot is it for please? I'm still waiting for Sheffield course

WCMLaddict

You will most likely get a parking pass for your home depot. If your depot is over 90 minutes (I think it's still that) train journey from the course location, you will be booked into a hotel.
Forget about getting a staff parking pass at station like Leeds if you're not based there. Places are limited anyway.
Some depot will require you to book in before travelling to Leeds for your course so take that into consideration.

I would suggest you forget about driving to Leeds. Drive to your depot and get a train.

JohnFM

Agreed, driving to Leeds would be a total and utter nightmare and staff parking is tiny in comparison!

Are you out of the RAF now Osian?

Osian85

Hi John, I have had my last working day in the RAF and currently in my 'resettlement time' until feb. I am eligible to start work before the Northern course starts so its all good. Like I said the stars aligned for me on this one!

JohnFM

Cool, hope you enjoy your Veterans Pin. Any medals to get displayed? messdress.com are ace!

Did you get copies of your med records?

Anyway, Leeds commute would be a total nightmare.

Osian85

No, alas, no medals, well just the Jubilee one which is a bit chocolate I know. I spent most of my eleven years on a test and trials sqn travelling to nicer places like USA, with the odd four-monther to the Falklands thrown in.

Yeah the trip to Leeds won't be the best but its my preferred option, I would leave the house an hour later than im used to and be home at the usual time and like I said I would be alternating between two places 'after work' so...
Having to clock in at my depot first is news to me, here's hoping thats not the case.
I haven't received a welcome pack or contract through yet which is no surprise from reading on here, and again not a problem.

Would be great to hear from guys currently on the course though...

Last edited:

RBSN

No, alas, no medals, well just the Jubilee one which is a bit chocolate I know. I spent most of my eleven years on a test and trials sqn travelling to nicer places like USA, with the odd four-monther to the Falklands thrown in.

Yeah the trip to Leeds won't be the best but its my preferred option, I would leave the house an hour later than im used to and be home at the usual time and like I said I would be alternating between two places 'after work' so...
Having to clock in at my depot first is news to me, here's hoping thats not the case.
I haven't received a welcome pack or contract through yet which is no surprise from reading on here, and again not a problem.

Would be great to hear from guys currently on the course though...

Hi mate,

Congratulations on getting on the course!

In terms of parking, as far as I'm aware there is a large waiting list to use the employee car park. However, other trainees have parked close by at a cost of £18 a day

Stigy

Established Member
The stars have aligned and I have a place on a training course with Northern starting soon at the academy in Leeds, a question to anyone currently training or recently trained; what do you do for parking each day?

I live a bit too far away for getting the train in each day and there would be changes too, not ideal, driving makes much more sense in my case. Also some days I would be going home to one house and other days to another so a 'specific route pass' that i'm sure I have read somewhere is not ideal.
Im more than happy to drive in to Leeds each day and incur all the extra fuel and parking fee's but most places I have seen are two hours maximum. Would a swipe card for an employees carpark at Leeds station be a possibility? Or if you can tell me any good carparks you have found in Leeds that would be great.

Thanks in advance everyone.
Would you not get a temporary staff travel pass for the whole TOC, not just route specific?

I can't see many paying £18 per day, £360 for a months parking, that's a weeks wages for a trainee!! Get the train, it's free!

RBSN

I can't see many paying £18 per day, £360 for a months parking, that's a weeks wages for a trainee!! Get the train, it's free!

You can claim it back at the end of each week, providing you keep each receipt.

Shrimper

Would you not get a temporary staff travel pass for the whole TOC, not just route specific?

If you start with Northern you get your TOC ID card (valid for travel) before you start so it won't be a problem. You won't even need to show that once you get your uniform.

maccalad

Hi mate, can I ask when the course starts?

I'm currently waiting for a course date for a job at the Blackburn depot........hopefully there'll be a course in Manchester, but I have been told January.

Fingers crossed I'll hear something soon.

Train1992

Hi mate, can I ask when the course starts?

I'm currently waiting for a course date for a job at the Blackburn depot........hopefully there'll be a course in Manchester, but I have been told January.

Fingers crossed I'll hear something soon.

I am a in similar position maccalad, have you had your medical yet?

maccalad

I had my medical on 3rd November.

I know one or two on here have said patience is the key, but I am just wanting to get on with the training now and leave my current role.

Exciting times ahead!

I am a in similar position maccalad, have you had your medical yet?

Train1992

I had my medical on 3rd November.

I know one or two on here have said patience is the key, but I am just wanting to get on with the training now and leave my current role.

Exciting times ahead!

Cheers pal, hope you hear some news soon! I'm still waiting on my medical. How much notice did they give you before you had to go for it? I passed my interview 4 weeks ago and they said they would be in touch regarding start dates but that was the last I heard.

DaiGog

Sometimes Mirfield, sometimes Hull, often Niebüll
Morning all,

I applied to Northern at Leeds about six weeks ago but have heard nothing - anyone else in a similar position? If it makes a difference, I had previously passed the assessments at another TOC.

Do Northern contact you if you are not successful?

Cheers........

RBSN

I know that there will be 2 possibly 3 courses starting at some point in the new year. I can't see the training academy taking on another course this year.

maccalad

Try logging into the Northern website - the bit where you filled out the application.

I applied for Blackburn on 22/7/16, but didn't hear anything until 7/9/16.

However, when I applied for Manchester in February 2016, I didn't pass the application stage, but I was emailed..........can't recall the timescales though.

Morning all,

I applied to Northern at Leeds about six weeks ago but have heard nothing - anyone else in a similar position? If it makes a difference, I had previously passed the assessments at another TOC.

Do Northern contact you if you are not successful?

Cheers........
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I passed my interview on 4/10/16, advised me I had passed 7/10/16, full assessment on 18/10, medical on 3/11/16, advised I'd passed on 7/11/16...............just got my start today for a course in Manchester on 30/1/17..............providing I can get my holiday (2 weeks) authorised, which I hope and pray for, especially given it was booked and a big chunk paid for before I applied. #FingersCrossed

Cheers pal, hope you hear some news soon! I'm still waiting on my medical. How much notice did they give you before you had to go for it? I passed my interview 4 weeks ago and they said they would be in touch regarding start dates but that was the last I heard.

posh

Hi RSBN,

Do you know for what depots,

Cheers.
I know that there will be 2 possibly 3 courses starting at some point in the new year. I can't see the training academy taking on another course this year.

Hi RBSN,

Do you know which Depots?

Cheers,

Louby

Try logging into the Northern website - the bit where you filled out the application.

I applied for Blackburn on 22/7/16, but didn't hear anything until 7/9/16.

However, when I applied for Manchester in February 2016, I didn't pass the application stage, but I was emailed..........can't recall the timescales though.

I passed my interview on 4/10/16, advised me I had passed 7/10/16, full assessment on 18/10, medical on 3/11/16, advised I'd passed on 7/11/16...............just got my start today for a course in Manchester on 30/1/17..............providing I can get my holiday (2 weeks) authorised, which I hope and pray for, especially given it was booked and a big chunk paid for before I applied. #FingersCrossed

When is your hol ? Max you can miss in training school is 3 days

maccalad

Louby, the hol starts 24/7/17.

I should be out of my 17 wks by then! ��

Last edited:

Crow238

Does anybody know what actually is happened with Sheffield depot courses? I've had assessment day in June and still waiting for a course date while all other depots are currently in training or have a course date confirmed. As far as I know no one from Sheffield has been told about the training yet. Unless I'm wrong but some people have a quick process from assesment to actual training. Is everybody from Sheffield at the same situation?

Twice blue

Passed everything in July for Darlington and still waiting. Interview due to run out around march time.

posh

Does anybody know what actually is happened with Sheffield depot courses? I've had assessment day in June and still waiting for a course date while all other depots are currently in training or have a course date confirmed. As far as I know no one from Sheffield has been told about the training yet. Unless I'm wrong but some people have a quick process from assesment to actual training. Is everybody from Sheffield at the same situation?

Yes same situation as you crow238 still heard nothing. There have been comments on here recently about people knowing of courses start dates in early 2017.... But heard nothing for Sheffield yet. Patience is the key but I really was expecting an early 2017 course confirmation... Especially if we are to be trained up for the December 2017 timetable change

I had assessment day about 5-6 weeks ago in Leeds and had a medical last week. Received a call yesterday to confirm i'd passed the medical and that I was assigned to a course in March but they couldn't confirm the dates with it being so far in advance. Been told to sit tight and they will be in touch shortly. Hopefully I'll get a confirmed date in a month or two.

Anyone know how far in advance Northern will confirm a start date? I thought my notice period was 4 weeks but after checking with HR its 8 weeks due to length of service. Really don't want this to effect my chances of a job at Northern. Any advice would be appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.