• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Northern Unit Refurbishments

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

NorthernSpirit

Established Member
I don't doubt that they will!

Nevertheless, I'd happily trade the 142s for the 313s if we had the wires to make them work... just as I'd have traded the Pacers for the VEPs and CIGs at the time they were still running. Age is only one factor when it comes to how good rolling stock is.

Northern using 313's could work, you just need a Transit engine bolted underneath.

adrock1976

Established Member
What's it called? It's called Cumbernauld
Reported on a Facebook group that 150209 has been semi permanently coupled to 153330 and will work set diagrams mainly doing Rochdale- Clitheroe/ Blackburn and vice versa.
Sam

I would like it clarified if both of the present surviving coaches from 150209 and 212 are coupled up with 153330?

I am aware that both the odd coaches have been designated the number of 150209.

mervyn72

Not sure if 209 or 212 has the outer cab in its current guise but I suppose the cab wasn't used for quite a while so would extra work be required in getting it operational again?

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Not sure if 209 or 212 has the outer cab in its current guise but I suppose the cab wasn't used for quite a while so would extra work be required in getting it operational again?
Quite possibly, though both cabs would have been unused in their previous roles as centre-cars. Though if they just received maintenance and modifications as per the rest of the fleet while with GWR then they should be fine. The future will see them used as centre-cars again anyway, there was even talk of the cabs being removed as part of the Northern 3-car plan.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
I have yet to board a refurbished Northern 156 with properly functional PIS.
The internal PIS seems only to be capable of displaying the final destination, usually with some accompanying marketing drivel.
It always scrolls, even when it needn't (eg scrolling "Preston" for the entire journey).
Today's example (Preston-Manchester Airport) had the external display: "Airport MIA".
No manual announcements either.
Is it just not fully installed yet, or is this the best they are going to do?

Bungle965

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
The internal PIS seems only to be capable of displaying the final destination, usually with some accompanying marketing drivel.
It always scrolls, even when it needn't (eg scrolling "Preston" for the entire journey).
Today's example (Preston-Manchester Airport) had the external display: "Airport MIA".
They do work! I have been on a few where the TrainFX is fully functioning including announcements. However I seem to remember that there was some issue where they couldn't use the TrainFX announcements if they were coupled to a non modified unit, not sure how true that is.
There is also of course the guards just neglecting to use it and instead doing manual announcements.
Sam

Bertie the bus

Established Member
I've noticed those Airport MIA destinations appearing on Northern units. It looks like train spotters are in charge as Airport MIA certainly isn't a useful display to a normal passenger.

pemma

Veteran Member
They do work! I have been on a few where the TrainFX is fully functioning including announcements. However I seem to remember that there was some issue where they couldn't use the TrainFX announcements if they were coupled to a non modified unit, not sure how true that is.
There is also of course the guards just neglecting to use it and instead doing manual announcements.
Sam

I've only seen the CIS doing more than scrolling the final destination once and that time there were visual announcements of the next station but no audible ones.

I've also been a pair which had one refurbished 150 and one non-refurbished 150 and got on the non-refurbished one due to the refurbished one being full. Someone obviously activated the call to aid in the refurbished set and announcements were made calling for the guard in the non-refurbished set.

Last few weeks my local line has been invaded by Pacers so it's difficult enough to get a Sprinter never mind a refurbished one at the moment. We did have a Merseytravel 142 the other day showing "End of the line" as the destination!

pemma

Veteran Member
I've noticed those Airport MIA destinations appearing on Northern units. It looks like train spotters are in charge as Airport MIA certainly isn't a useful display to a normal passenger.

If you're returning home and flying to Manchester and someone tries to put a MIA label on your luggage then don't let them. Manchester's code is MAN. Manchester Airport did once refer to using MIA on their Twitter feed and got thanked by Miami Airport for promoting them!

Buspilot

Has been a problem for many years, going back to when airline codes were written in pen on a bag labels.

Many a bag ended up at Miami International.

js1000

Northern's "refurbishments" are shocking. They are just botch jobs and I wish DfT would stop ignoring the problem. Was on one of the refurbished Sprinters last week with water leaking in from the roof.

It's possible to get a Pacer (the Pacer-e concept) or even the oldest EMU on the UK network (Merseyrail) looking modern from inside - then I don't why it's so hard for Northern to do the same. Simply painting a train livery white does not constitute "modernisation"

GrahamD83

I have only seen it work fully once, between Newcastle and Carlisle, where it showed the whole route and the next stop etc, along with details of the strike proposed for July. And even then it only came to life part way into the journey.

I was on one at the weekend which repeatedly scrolled 'Welcome aboard this Class 156'!

DanNCL

Established Member
According to @DanNCL, most 156's now operate out of Heaton for refurbishment.
That's not what I said - what I said was that I think they're now all allocated to Heaton, but I was just taking info I'd read on another thread, so I'm not 100% certain.

As far as I'm aware the refurbishments are still taking place where they were taking place before

Brian Aylott

That's not what I said - what I said was that I think they're now all allocated to Heaton, but I was just taking info I'd read on another thread, so I'm not 100% certain.

As far as I'm aware the refurbishments are still taking place where they were taking place before

The Northern 156s are now equally split between NH and HT - 21 each
Brian

simon7929

All of the Angel 156s have had the refurb but the old seats still remain. Only two of the Porterbrook units have had similar treatment so far and also retain the original seats. However the cushions have been changed.

Not sure which units are based where, as both depots units move from East to West and vice versa. Before the timetable changed Heaton had, 156 438/43/4/8/51/4/63/9/75/9/80/1/4 and 90. Allerton had the rest.

stu99

All of the Angel 156s have had the refurb but the old seats still remain. Only two of the Porterbrook units have had similar treatment so far and also retain the original seats. However the cushions have been changed.

Not sure which units are based where, as both depots units move from East to West and vice versa. Before the timetable changed Heaton had, 156 438/43/4/8/51/4/63/9/75/9/80/1/4 and 90. Allerton had the rest.
To me it would have made sense for all the Angel Train's 156s to move to Heaton seeing as they had the majority of them before, but don't think that has happened as there has been reports of some porterbrook ones that have been allocated to Heaton, but I'll wait and see what is told.

Last edited:

AMD

How could you tell the difference?
One would be white on the outside and the other purple.....

Sam
True, if the TrainFX system is set up on a pair of units where one is unmodified it can prevent you from using the cab to cab function, so only the destination will be displayed.

Brian Aylott

To me it would have made sense for all the Angel Train's 156s to move to Heaton seeing as they had the majority of them before, but don't think that has happened as there has been reports of some porterbrook ones that have been allocated to Heaton, but I'll wait and see what is told.

The additional 7 that HT have got are Angel's - I am told none are Porterbrook's
Before long Scotrail are releasing at least 5 to Northern and these too could of course go to HT
At present the NH fleet is split meaning that they have to clutter up their stores with both leasing companies spares - HT wouldn't want that!
Brian

superkev

Established Member
Wasn't it part of the bid to have Newcastle - Carlisle 158 operated. To this end have any appeared at Heaton yet.
And, is one of the rust bucket knees under your chin 155's still at Brodies - seems to have been there ages. Should have gone for scrap.
K