• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Northern Unit Refurbishments

Established Member
Unsafe? We're talking about what sort of cloth covers seats here- not dodgy wiring or leaky fuel systems.
I’m not going as far as suggesting that flat cloth makes rail travel unsafe, although someone will certainly be able to, but there are as you say things which could easily become incredibly dangerous.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

supervc-10

I don't understand how the type of material used for seat coverings can possibly become unsafe unless it suddenly decided that it would no longer comply with fire regulations or something.

Because your post definitely suggested that the flat cloth could somehow become unsafe. I don't disagree that it's rubbish and should never have been specced, but safety is definitely not my problem with it.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I think it’s probably time to move out of the flat cloth avenue now please. :)

Established Member
I don't understand how the type of material used for seat coverings can possibly become unsafe unless it suddenly decided that it would no longer comply with fire regulations or something.

Because your post definitely suggested that the flat cloth could somehow become unsafe. I don't disagree that it's rubbish and should never have been specced, but safety is definitely not my problem with it.
I wasn’t suggesting that such a simple material can be unsafe, I was suggesting that such a rubbish material shouldn’t be able to be legally produced when most other things of equally poor quality can easily become dangerous, as in all things need to have some sort of minimum quality threshold which would preclude the manufacture of flat cloth for use as a seat covering.

The excessive fire regulations seem to be holding back seat comfort on trains, when buses are much more likely to crash and therefore catch fire, but are somehow able to have much more comfortable seats, often with leather. The whole situation really is a mess, easily summed up by just how bad the flat cloth is and we are lucky to see the back of it.
I think it’s probably time to move out of the flat cloth avenue now please. :)
So do I and I have now finished. I’m sure that face is everyone’s reaction on seeing flat cloth replaced with proper moquette.

Can we start a positive discussion on just how much more enjoyable journeys will be with moquette on 195/331s, even with the original seats. It really cannot be understated how big the upgrade is when something substandard and unbearable is suddenly replaced with a perfectly reasonable material. :)

bosleyrog

Both the flat cloth and moquette for Northern are manufactured by the same company.
The fabric decision is influenced greatly by the interior design teams that TOC's work with.
Flat cloth was supposed to give a different feel, a move away from tradition.
Both fabrics are as compliant as the other.

LOL The Irony

On Moderation
The fabric decision is influenced greatly by the interior design teams that TOC's work with.
These design teams must be masochists, since it felt like cheap office chair fabric, but thicker, harder and more sandpaper-ry. I think these design teams need ignoring and telling where they can go.

northernchris

Established Member
The Heaton 158s seem to be the focus for digi mods at the moment with 158850, 158855 and 158860 having been upgraded recently

jonnyfan

I don't think I've seen this mentioned, but the first 323 has had it's digital mods and has been in traffic the last week or so. 323225.

diligentdave

How many more northern class 158 units are due still to go back to Bristol Barton Hill Depot please? Thank you
2 more after the current unit (796, 794).

The Heaton 158s seem to be the focus for digi mods at the moment with 158850, 158855 and 158860 having been upgraded recently
All the Heaton 158's have been through digital, 158842 is currently in and is the last one. The Neville Hill units (10 left to do) are the ex-ASR 158's.

365 Networker

I don't think I've seen this mentioned, but the first 323 has had it's digital mods and has been in traffic the last week or so. 323225.
What does the digital mod involve? I thought they had already been fitted PIS screens and auto announcers.

How many Class 156 trains have the digital upgrade to be done still? I haven't travelled much recently but I noticed 156447 has been done and there is probably more that have been done that I have not noticed.

skyhigh

Established Member
What does the digital mod involve? I thought they had already been fitted PIS screens and auto announcers.
As mentioned above, the digital poster screens, USB sockets - plus new CCTV, passenger counters, remote condition monitoring, minor mods in the cab ready for a Driver Advisory System and basic enabling work for ETCS.

py_megapixel

Established Member
Why can't they put some useful live information on the new screens? The next few stations and service status for example?

Duplicating the static information on that goes on ordinary signs is a bit of a waste of space. I'm not sure why, if the railway is apparently so short of cash, it has the funding for something like this, which has near-zero benefit to anyone...

setdown

Couldn’t believe it when I travelled on a 150 a couple of months ago and there was a gigantic box at the end of one carriage, with a small screen on it showing the same (squished) notice on it for the whole journey.

Who thought that was suitable? It looks ridiculous and a complete waste of space. Typical Northern!

Neptune

Established Member
Couldn’t believe it when I travelled on a 150 a couple of months ago and there was a gigantic box at the end of one carriage, with a small screen on it showing the same (squished) notice on it for the whole journey.

Who thought that was suitable? It looks ridiculous and a complete waste of space. Typical Northern!
Arriva, the previous incumbent.

skyhigh

Established Member
Why can't they put some useful live information on the new screens? The next few stations and service status for example?
Who says that isn't the plan... ;) As things stand, the displays do not know what service the train is working. When the new DAS system is installed, it will link to set up the TrainFX and these new screens automatically when the headcode is entered.
Duplicating the static information on that goes on ordinary signs is a bit of a waste of space. I'm not sure why, if the railway is apparently so short of cash, it has the funding for something like this, which has near-zero benefit to anyone...
So I'd wait until the final product is ready before making that conclusion.

That 'gigantic box' is what contains all the new equipment (and also leaves room for ETCS equipment if it's needed in future). ETCS might never be needed on 150s, but it keeps costs down by having a standardised system.

365 Networker

As mentioned above, the digital poster screens, USB sockets - plus new CCTV, passenger counters, remote condition monitoring, minor mods in the cab ready for a Driver Advisory System and basic enabling work for ETCS.
Thanks for the additional info.

northernchris

Established Member
2 more after the current unit (796, 794).

All the Heaton 158's have been through digital, 158842 is currently in and is the last one. The Neville Hill units (10 left to do) are the ex-ASR 158's.

Thanks, they've flown through the Heaton sets! I was on 158851 last week and was sure that hadn't received the mods though

darylyates17

Other than the 195/331 & the 319s what units have still haven't had the seat cloth replaced? was on 2 158s yesterday with ironing board seats I think that hadn't been done.

DanNCL

Established Member
Other than the 195/331 & the 319s what units have still haven't had the seat cloth replaced? was on 2 158s yesterday with ironing board seats I think that hadn't been done.
156496 certainly still has cloth. Don’t know about the other 4 156s that have ironing boards.

LOL The Irony

On Moderation
How many Class 156 trains have the digital upgrade to be done still? I haven't travelled much recently but I noticed 156447 has been done and there is probably more that have been done that I have not noticed.
All of the Northern ones I've been on have had them. The ex-EMR units don't and I don't know about the ex-GA units.

diligentdave

All of the Northern ones I've been on have had them. The ex-EMR units don't and I don't know about the ex-GA units.
There's only 2 156's that haven't been fully completed yet (469 & 489). Whilst they have all the equipment fitted inside, some of the cab roof items haven't been added as there are issues with the structures from previous repairs.

156496 certainly still has cloth. Don’t know about the other 4 156s that have ironing boards.
The 158's are slowly getting done, should be 3 complete with a 4th lined up. The 156's are down for renewal when the program gets to them.

T74

There's only 2 156's that haven't been fully completed yet (469 & 489). Whilst they have all the equipment fitted inside, some of the cab roof items haven't been added as there are issues with the structures from previous repairs.

The 158's are slowly getting done, should be 3 complete with a 4th lined up. The 156's are down for renewal when the program gets to them.
156469 is in holbeck shed today so maybe getting done

Harvey B

The 333’s have always announced Frizinghall correctly since day 1 (I signed them in prior to first day in service in January 2001 and there was definitely no issue with how the stations were pronounced). It was the 331’s that didn’t.

You need to remember that the 333’s do not comply with disability regulations as they currently do not auto announce Kirkstall Forge or Apperley Bridge and the system they work on does not allow for additional announcements to be inputted.

They also work off the door cycles at stations for shifting on to the next station which buggers up if the doors need to be re-energised and re-closed whereas a GPS system works on the train’s actual location.

Whether it will be TrainFX or another system I do not know.
I just hope that they Keep Martin Oldfield as the voice of the 333's. It would be a shame to lose those announcements on the 333s currently